Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
May 9, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #661 of 3,719
Cheers

6a7ea1d662bf293813fbc0b3ae6611bf.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

May 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #663 of 3,719
Yes, EL3N add some distortion which in my specific case is needed. And you were right when you advised me to try 6L6 with EL3N or EL11. If 6L6 felt underpowered with 6J5/6SN7 with EL3N as input it starts to sound better. So yeap, EL3N is not very detailed, not very clean, somehow a warmer variant of EL11, but in some cases, when the other pair sounds dull or it is too polite, well, it does the trick. Honestly these still sell at around 25 EUR/piece at Acoustic Dimension in Holland which seems to me a decent price for what they can do. I never liked these because Elise was too warm for them. I guess they were better in Euforia or more neutral amplifiers. In my case, EL3N + Elise + T1.2 was for sure the wrong path. Now I start to reconcile my relationship with them. Not spectacular but useful to have at home.

EL3N_6L6.jpg
If you like 6L6/6V6 with EL3N, just try to get good adapter to 6J5 and same for EL11 Your amp deserve better stuff. (I also dislike the dual adapter with plastic and pcb and it is one of the worse about durability and build quality. I'm even not sure that the G2-A wire have a resistor).

May 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #664 of 3,719
So the unbelievable happened and you opened the whiskey bottle.

Then, it is time for me to tell you which burger is the best burger in town, of course Bitburger. Cheers.

Bitburger.jpg

Coming back to our activities, I try now EL3N with 6V6 and sounds good, it seems EL3N saved 6V6 and 6L6 in Eternity.
Of course, these are not beating KT66 or KT88 but now they have a word to say.

EL3N_6V6.jpg

And another thing I've observed is that after more hours of use, EL3N starts to raise the current:

EL3N stock.jpg

Yesterday at -6.3V had 4.2mA and now it goes towards 4.5mA. I am still fine, but I do not want to exceed 5mA. Maybe these are still in the burn in phase and start to awake and go to the expected bias? I have to be careful, the first pair which starts to behave differently in terms of bias/currents, this means I have to watch from time to time these meters even if I was on the good operating point some hours ago.

Soundwise, Philips EL3N + Tronix 6V6G (I still do not know who manufactured these, might be GEC/Brimar) has a strong bass and sounds quite good. Voices sound great with this one. A great combo, never thought that 6V6 will sound like this on Eternity. I think I'll try later some other brands of 6V6 because all of them sound different and I want to hear them.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #666 of 3,719
If you like 6L6/6V6 with EL3N, just try to get good adapter to 6J5 and same for EL11 Your amp deserve better stuff. (I also dislike the dual adapter with plastic and pcb and it is one of the worse about durability and build quality. I'm even not sure that the G2-A wire have a resistor).

I will add this to my "To do" list. For some tests, to see how things are going, this is fine, but yes, as a "test device".
I can measure to see if they put a resistor BUT this means I have to remove EL3N from the adapter and we know how a big mistake it would be, this is how I broke the other.

@UntilThen If you have Alec Baldwin in your livingroom drinking your whiskey you should definitely roll 300B.

May 9, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #675 of 3,719
Ok, let's talk about different brands of the same tube type and their impact on Eternity. Someone before told us that basically the electrical paramaters of a tube matter and all brands should sound more or less the same. Well, up to a point. Today I tried 3 different 6V6G in Eternity with 2 x EL3N as inputs. Each pair sounds differently. OK, we can say that in general terms, synergy is good and overal signature is close, BUT even the tube brand matters. For example, first pair I described here has the best bass, most articulated, biggest quantity and smaller soundstage. Next try was Westinghouse 6V6G which was more towards neutral, unexciting for me compared to the first one. And the third was David and Goliath:

Sylvania.jpg

Sylvania 6V6GT/G, smaller in size and brighter, typical Sylvania sound (similar with Sylvania 6SN7 in terms of signature). Brighter, more detailed, wider soundstage. Totally different from the other 2. And even those were different one from each other. OK, first 2 pairs are ST shaped bottles, with different coating, this one is different, but I say even rolling different 6V6G makes sense and provides a difference. Synergy is good for all of them, but we have different sound based on what we choose.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back