Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
May 8, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #631 of 3,843
IMG_2384.jpg

May 8, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #634 of 3,843
Hey Octavian, sorry about your GEC KT77. As a matter of fact, my seller won't be parting with his GEC KT77 so yeah just as well. Saves me $450. I won't be buying tubes unnecessarily now. I think I have enough.

May 8, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #635 of 3,843
Hey Octavian, sorry about your GEC KT77. As a matter of fact, my seller won't be parting with his GEC KT77 so yeah just as well. Saves me $450. I won't be buying tubes unnecessarily now. I think I have enough.

I would say the war is not lost. Those work on Elise and I will continue to find out why they create me problems on Eternity.

By the way, judging by the fact that I've seen those 3 bottles of whiskey a few years ago near another amplifier I have a feeling you are just collecting them and not drinking.
I have to admit, I also collect a bottle of whiskey. The reason is that I got it as a present and I do not like whiskey. LOL

May 8, 2021 at 2:10 AM Post #637 of 3,843
I would say the war is not lost. Those work on Elise and I will continue to find out why they create me problems on Eternity.

By the way, judging by the fact that I've seen those 3 bottles of whiskey a few years ago near another amplifier I have a feeling you are just collecting them and not drinking.
I have to admit, I also collect a bottle of whiskey. The reason is that I got it as a present and I do not like whiskey. LOL

The WildTurkey Longreach is new and will be open tonight for a birthday celebration. The other 2 Japanese ones I have to keep.... Glenfiddich 18 yrs old was bought in 2018 coming back from a holiday in Taiwan.

May 8, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #639 of 3,843
The WildTurkey Longreach is new and will be open tonight for a birthday celebration. The other 2 Japanese ones I have to keep.... Glenfiddich 18 yrs old was bought in 2018 coming back from a holiday in Taiwan.

OK, I cannot compete with your three fancy bottles, but I do my best. Here you are, Eternity with a bottle of whiskey and 2 Svetlana 6H13C, you can imagine those are 2 bottles of vodka.

Whiskey.jpg

May 8, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #640 of 3,843
Did you see the Abyss 1266 TC website. They have my same Samurai whisky. :)

https://abyss-headphones.com/pages/abyss-ab-1266-phi-reference-headphone

Aha, nice. You know why there is not picture with a bottle of beer and a headphone on any reseller?
Because all drink it and keep the whiskey. LOL (was a joke, I hope you don't mind).

When I look at LCD-4 and Abyss 1266 I see the same thing: more than 600g. Verite Open has 430g and I think it is too heavy. T1.2 is much more comfortable for me.

May 8, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #641 of 3,843
This is not a good sign. Sounds like the tube is leaky if the current isn't stable.

This happened at first try when 1 GEC weak and 1 Genalex weak were inserted, and happened to the Genalex. With GEC nothing like that, just the "brrr" sound.
I remember a few years ago I had a similar problem on Elise. I tried to use WE 421A with Siemens C3G and had the same issue, a sound on one of the channels (the same right channel). At that time I was using the T1.2. So I think it might be an issue with bias/gain or something.

May 8, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #642 of 3,843
I like a lot WildTurkey Longranch but it is like Jack Daniels a Bourbon (corn whiskey). The Japanese whisky are made with a lot of precision and i find then a bit over-priced and a bit dry for may taste. I prefer much more Islay whiskey with a strong smokey taste like Laphroaig Triple wood... (300b taste vs SS taste for Japanese)

May 8, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #643 of 3,843
This happened at first try when 1 GEC weak and 1 Genalex weak were inserted, and happened to the Genalex. With GEC nothing like that, just the "brrr" sound.
I remember a few years ago I had a similar problem on Elise. I tried to use WE 421A with Siemens C3G and had the same issue, a sound on one of the channels (the same right channel). At that time I was using the T1.2. So I think it might be an issue with bias/gain or something.
To me this is more an issue with some NOS tube you got from part-time tube seller. One on a pair is just a bit defective and you are unlucky !
Seller was honest to say that the tubes are untested and do not accept return... This is normal risk taking even if it taste bad but really common in quality measurement or risk analysis when you cumulate not so good paths.

May 8, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #644 of 3,843
To me this is more an issue with some NOS tube you got from part-time tube seller. One on a pair is just a bit defective and you are unlucky !
Seller was honest to say that the tubes are untested and do not accept return... This is normal risk taking even if it taste bad but really common in quality measurement or risk analysis when you cumulate not so good paths.
Yes, I agree. I only try to understand, same pair of C3G worked in other combinations, the WE421A the same on Elise. Now, this pair of KT77 works on Elise.

As a side note, these KT77 get quite hot on Elise, similar with KT88. I have a personal heater here near me.

Last edited:
May 8, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #645 of 3,843
Aha, nice. You know why there is not picture with a bottle of beer and a headphone on any reseller?
Because all drink it and keep the whiskey. LOL (was a joke, I hope you don't mind).

When I look at LCD-4 and Abyss 1266 I see the same thing: more than 600g. Verite Open has 430g and I think it is too heavy. T1.2 is much more comfortable for me.

Having Korean beer and wagyu beef now. After the bourbon whisky I can wear the LCD4 all night.

DAC21D78-597A-4DB7-8582-A876FAC28304.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back