Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 16, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #512 of 3,644
Yes, Tomas said -0.765V for 3mA @ 180V.

Honestly I am not thinking to buy, but looking is for free. Let's hope I will remain at looking. :D
The 6SL7 is a very linear tube and it sounds great. Can also been found for cheap. I use the Russian 6H9C and it's a very good tube.
It's a high gain tube so you'll have less play with the volume knob. Good for driving insensitive headphones in Eternity as the gain is higher than 6SN7.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #513 of 3,644
Using 7N7 to 6SN7 adapter, you can use 7F7 tubes also easy to get from US army stocks and cheap.
Not so high gain tube (38 vs 70), i also like 6BQ7A Miniwatt wich are in general well balanced (All european tubes are made by Philips) :wink:

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #514 of 3,644
I like a lot the 7N7 even if I have only one pair. I think 6F8G and 7N7 are superior to 6SN7 and cheaper. Now I will have the chance to discover 6J5 and 6N7 but the 6SL7 and also the 7F7 sound very interesting. It never ends.

And yes, Friday Beerday with BIOS Flashback guys. I bricked my motherboard today so I had to fix it.

bios.jpg

I'll never buy Ryzen and MSI motherboards again, but now I have to live with this one. Quite stable, if you do not touch it.
But today I wanted to move a PCIex card from one slot to another and... :)

Apr 16, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #515 of 3,644
@SonicTrance Given the power of the Friday Beerday I will ask you a very funny question, I hope you don't mind: The nickname you use on the forum has something to do with the Trance genre? Or it is just about Sonic Nirvana. I have to admit Trance is not my stuff, but I sleep quite good on it, for me it seems it repeats infinitely. LOL

Apr 16, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #516 of 3,644
@SonicTrance Given the power of the Friday Beerday I will ask you a very funny question, I hope you don't mind: The nickname you use on the forum has something to do with the Trance genre? Or it is just about Sonic Nirvana. I have to admit Trance is not my stuff, but I sleep quite good on it, for me it seems it repeats infinitely. LOL
I don't mind! :)

It's a bit of both actually. Sonic Nirvana and Trance music. I do listen to trance, especially at the gym! :) I listen to everything from trance to ballads basically!

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #517 of 3,644
Thanks for answer, I have to admit I thought about asking this since I first wrote you if you can build me an amplifier for KT66.

My experience with Trance is a little bit funny, so even if it is offtopic I thought to share it. Many years ago I had to work several months in Sofia, Bulgaria. During those times, because I was not quite knowing better places to go out there, I went several times out in a place called Buddha Bar, central, a garden with music and cocktails. Me, a beer drinker, never expert on what cocktails to order, was all the time receiving many "manly" glasses coloured in pink, orange, green and so on. That's life, you close your eyes and drink them. One evening I went there with a colleague of mine and after several hours of listening to the same song I asked him "Hey, what kind of music is this, this song has 3 hours?". He told me it is impossible not to know this, it is some famous DJ Armin somehow and he has 700 albums. At that moment I almost dropped the glass on the floor "Wow, 700 albums, that's impossible.". In that very moment I was thinking that Judas Priest had around 15 albums, Saxon the same or any other classic rock band which has been active for over 30 years. Later he told me "But this DJ records every party he goes by, mixes something and just makes it available". I said "Ok, not my stuff, I do not even hear instruments". And that was the last time I heard trance. But after 2-3 glasses of Mojito I am not sure if the Mojito or Trance helped me to sleep perfectly. If Trance is the reason I have to find one of those 700 albums to try here in my insomia nights. LOL

Apr 17, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #518 of 3,644
Quite enjoyed the latest EP of Left Hand Solution. This cover version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" was quite a surprise. A kind of dark version.

Another outstanding cover I will never forget is Paradise Lost's cover of "Xavier" from Dead Can Dance.

I never liked cover songs, always thought they are just lack of creativity. But what Paradise Lost made on this one is outstanding, incredible. I am a big fan of Dead Can Dance and also the solo projects of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard.

I think I'll extend my already chosen playlist of Eternity's evaluation with some "extra" tracks.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #519 of 3,644
Quite enjoyed the latest EP of Left Hand Solution. This cover version of Dolly Parton's "Jolene" was quite a surprise. A kind of dark version.

Another outstanding cover I will never forget is Paradise Lost's cover of "Xavier" from Dead Can Dance.

I never liked cover songs, always thought they are just lack of creativity. But what Paradise Lost made on this one is outstanding, incredible. I am a big fan of Dead Can Dance and also the solo projects of Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard.

I think I'll extend my already chosen playlist of Eternity's evaluation with some "extra" tracks.

I'm also a big fan of DCD and was listening a lot of 4AD production long long time ago.

Apr 18, 2021 at 3:10 AM Post #521 of 3,644
To 6SL7 or not to 6SL7? This is the question. I do not have any, I am not sure if it makes sense to go on this path. :thinking:
6SL7 and 6SN7 are Odyssey drivers. I haven't bought any 6SL7 yet but my supplier say he has lots of good ones. Will also be using 12au7, 12at7 and 12ax7. In addition to EL11 which have it's own sockets !

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #522 of 3,644
Is 12AX7 really a good choice as driver, with that high gain (100)? It is usually used in phone stages for raising the low signals you have from the cartridge. If I have the 12Ax7 active in my preamp when playing CD, the sound becomes kind of coloured in a less good way.

Just asking 'cause I don't know the answer.

Apr 18, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #523 of 3,644
Don't know. Guess I'll find out when Odyssey comes. 12ax7 is not my only driver anyway. The choice is there. I'm more looking at 6SL7 and EL11.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #524 of 3,644
Is 12AX7 really a good choice as driver, with that high gain (100)? It is usually used in phone stages for raising the low signals you have from the cartridge. If I have the 12Ax7 active in my preamp when playing CD, the sound becomes kind of coloured in a less good way.

Just asking 'cause I don't know the answer.
I use high mµ input tubes all the time. Internal layout becomes very important if you want the amp noise free (which we want!). Tubes like 12AX7 and 6AV6 (like I normally use) is great for voltage amplification if implemented right. If you want to drive something with it, like an output tube grid, they are a little wimpy as the anode current is so low. In my regular amps I use CCS loaded MOSFET grid drivers between the input and output tubes. In UT's Odyssey it's a different story and the input tube is actually a driver tube. Technically the EL11's will be the best choice for Matt when selecting driver tube (his amp will have both EL11 and 6SL7/6SN7 sockets). Now, technically better doesn't always mean sonically better to your ears!

Apr 18, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #525 of 3,644
Odyssey could be the only amp with a dedicated EL11 sockets. Glad you think it's the best choice technically. Now I'm exploring getting adapters to use EL3N or EL33 in those sockets. Will be a challenge for @Deyan .

Or how about adapters for C3g into EL11 sockets. :darthsmile: I've just given myself heaps of options.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back