Tube rolling thread | UltraSonic Studios
Apr 9, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #496 of 3,644
Not bad this one.

Bombardier.jpg

Reminds me of:

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #498 of 3,644
Swedish Norrlands Djup! Very nice!

By the way Tomas, last time I visited Stockholm, and I think it is valid for all Sweden, they were not selling normal beer in the normal shops. There was a maximum of 3% alcohol on a normal shop if you were searching for a normal beer. I remember I had to go with my girl to a special beer shop to buy "normal" beer like I drink at home. And when I bought the beer the shop guy asked also her to come from outside to present her ID card because he asked me if I buy all that beer for me and I told we were two persons. This is still valid in Sweden? Quite strange for me, here you can buy beer without problem :D

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #499 of 3,644
By the way Tomas, last time I visited Stockholm, and I think it is valid for all Sweden, they were not selling normal beer in the normal shops. There was a maximum of 3% alcohol on a normal shop if you were searching for a normal beer. I remember I had to go with my girl to a special beer shop to buy "normal" beer like I drink at home. And when I bought the beer the shop guy asked also her to come from outside to present her ID card because he asked me if I buy all that beer for me and I told we were two persons. This is still valid in Sweden? Quite strange for me, here you can buy beer without problem :D
Yes! It's still valid. It's called "Systembolaget" and they have monopoly on selling alcoholic drinks with, like you said, over 3.5% alcohol.

Apr 9, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #500 of 3,644
Yes! It's still valid. It's called "Systembolaget" and they have monopoly on selling alcoholic drinks with, like you said, over 3.5% alcohol.

Good to know, I only visited Stockholm where I have some good friends and Malmo. But this rule seemed to be country wide. Sweden is full of a lot of heavy metal bands and that feeling of heavy metal and freedom but my friends told me that the real drinking goes on if you go on a ferry outside the country. It is strange for me since here everyone buys every alcohol they want and nobody cares. But I like ships because I do not have here so I took all the ships near Stockholm just to try them. LOL
I think you should visit me if you like beer, I have a feeling you will like here.

Apr 10, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #503 of 3,644
So back to our business. Measuring! :D

I measured today my oldest pair of GEC KT66 clear glass with cup getter, dated September 1962 Hammersmith. This pair is quite unbalanced, exactly like the M-OV grey glass from '42 I measured some time ago. I wonder if the oldest production KT66 had a general problem because my other pairs of double halo getter from 70s are measuring much better and are quite closely matched. And I observed that usually new production tubes are much more stronger than NOS.

KT66cupGetter.jpg

And the cup getter, better said "inverted cup" getter:

KT66cupGetterDetail.jpg

And I think I found the ideal anthem of UltraSonic Studios:

Yep, I like HammerFall, I've seen them in Wacken back in 2019 when things were normal. I've seen they plan to tour with Helloween in 2022 so I think I'll catch them in Prague. I like Prague, nice girls, good beer, good mexican food at a restaurant I like! And yes I like mexican food, spicy! :D

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #505 of 3,644
Just listening to the Black Sabbath remasters.

black sabbath.jpg

KT88 and Foton 6H8C are my choosing for today.

Black Sabbath.jpg

These provide a full sound and quite complement the 70s recording. I am extremely pleased. Will try these on Eternity soon. There is no bigger band than Sabbath and no greater vocal than Ozzy. I remembered that! :)

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #506 of 3,644
Going to my favourite track of all times which is Killing yourself to live from Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.

vol4.jpg

So yeah! We reach 1973 guys!

sabbath.jpg

And yes, pure awesomeness, Tony Iommi is just floating with that solo. This is the absolute sound guys!

And yes, no Sabbath without Bill Ward! Leave it, no reunion or Sabbath without Bill Ward. That is not Sabbath guys!

1618058119620.png

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #507 of 3,644
Just received a new pair of Foton 6H8C from here. Fast shipping and all seems fine. Now I see 0 pieces available, but from time to time he restocks.

6H8C_01.jpg

And the plate, as expected.

6H8C_02.jpg

I've done also measurements and the internal triodes are quite decently matched.

6H8C.jpg

PS. My photos are not as good as I want to, just changed my phone and I need to make a little bit of research on the 100 unuseful settings of my camera. Yep, new technology beats me, after all I remained in the 70s with the music and amplifiers. LOL

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #509 of 3,644
To 6SL7 or not to 6SL7? This is the question. I do not have any, I am not sure if it makes sense to go on this path. :thinking:

Later edit:
A pair of nice Mullard ECC31 appeared at Langrex. So many tubes, so little time and Friday Beerday is coming. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #510 of 3,644
To 6SL7 or not to 6SL7? This is the question. I do not have any, I am not sure if it makes sense to go on this path. :thinking:
It is high mu very low bias (near 0.5V and under 3.5mA for 180V), i only have 12V version Fivre and TungSol.
I think Tomas (@SonicTrance ) tested for DL 6SL7 as he gave bias point and can tell if sound much better than phillips SE 12ax7.
Later edit:
A pair of nice Mullard ECC31 appeared at Langrex. So many tubes, so little time and Friday Beerday is coming. :frowning2:
You only need a single tube internally balanced with adapter or ECC32 :wink: The good with Langrex is that you can order directly and ask for tube measure before buying and return if it does not fit requirement ! ( the price is too not excessive to buy serenity )

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back