Tube amp recommendations for $150 - 300?
Dec 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kevin Brown

1000+ Head-Fier
I have done some searching on this recently, but maybe it's just easier to ask.  :)

Any you like?  And any you don't like? 

If you feel strongly about something > $300, please post too in that I have no problem going used either.

Thanks !!

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 6
+1 on the LD III... I have one for sale soon for that matter:) Great little amp.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 6
The Darkvoice 336se is very nice in that price range. So is the Audiotailor Jade, although I am not totally sure if that amp is still available. And if you could get a Woo WA3 used, that would be very nice as well.

Dec 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 6
 Schweet.  The LD III was on my list as well as the Darkvoice too.

Although I got a little confused with the Darkvoice because I also found a 336 Classic (?), and then something that their name changed to La Figaro ...

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 6
The only amp I'd consider in that price range is the Bottlehead Crack. It is point-to-point and Doc Bottlehead knows circuit design. The 12AX7 is a common tube easily found new and used, and so is the 6080. All the commercial amps in this price range are built on PCBs, which aren't as robust.

The Crack is $229 in kit form and this allows you to pick up boutique parts (if you want them) as an upgrade and still be under $300. There's also a Sppedball upgrade if you want. You can also buy a Crack factory-assembles for an extra $150. At $370, it is probably the best value entry on the market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back