TTVJ Slim??
Apr 18, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #16 of 63
I had the TTVJ Slim w/DAC, which I used with my JH13. I thought it was excellent. Nice full sound, with a bit of emphasis on the bottom end, but not in a bad way, imo. The volume control is very well implemented.

Apr 18, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MT0227 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LevA....go for it...you have 30 days to try not liking it it :-D

don't tempt me!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the TTVJ Slim w/DAC, which I used with my JH13. I thought it was excellent. Nice full sound, with a bit of emphasis on the bottom end, but not in a bad way, imo. The volume control is very well implemented.

the Monkey,

how was the soundstage compared to other portable amps you used in regards to width and depth? though I hear the JH13 have lovely soundstage so not sure if that would be a valid reference for me
tongue_smile.gif

I do like good bottom end as long as it is not at the expense of mids/ lower-mids.

btw, are there no free software programs or mp3 clips that can demonstrate the effect of tube amp effect? maybe I can get a sense of how tube vs ss is with classical music...

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by MT0227 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you call the number on the site, Todd will answer all the questions you have, nice guy.....he did for me. I had a few questions on the DAC and just some basic operation functionality. Took 5 min and Todd was very accommodating. I prefer great customer service over great marketing; Todd also thanked me for my business after all of my questions.

LevA....go for it...you have 30 days to try not liking it it :-D

Misses my point, MTO227. I believe that Todd might be exactly the kind of guy I would want to buy an amp from - everything i have heard about him is good - which makes the poor dissemination of information even more unfortunate. The info page on his website is reallly not very attractive. Then he has a paid thread here - great opportunity to show off the amp to the curious - without a single pic.

(And no, I had not and still have not reached the level of interest where I am going to call him from Shanghai.)

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #21 of 63
Monkey, how did I know that you would jump on this? I came back just to read your inevitable cranky one-liner - even though I was making a legitimate point and I was not insulting Todd.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 63
You've made a legitimate point. Then you were given solid advice to call Todd, which is where he really excels in terms of service. Then you stated that you aren't going to call him. So it sounds like a) a legitimate point and b) stubborn whining. I called you on it.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #23 of 63
I see your point although I disagree with stubborn whining part. Perhaps I could express myself better: I would love to see Todd do a better job on the early marketing so that there is more interest to go to the second stage for a larger group of people. Cheers.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see your point although I disagree with stubborn whining part. Perhaps I could express myself better: I would love to see Todd do a better job on the early marketing so that there is more interest to go to the second stage for a larger group of people. Cheers.

lol, I was mostly teasing you. I whine stubbornly here all the time. (In fact, you called me on my crankiness--kudos.
smile_phones.gif
)

Again, I do think you have a legitimate point. Even just a few more (and better) pictures would be a good start. However, I think Todd also had a loaner program, which is pretty cool, though probably not so helpful for international HFers. I think the new TTVJ website might still be a work in progress, so perhaps we'll see some improvements. One other issue is that while I know a bunch of people who have tried the TTVJ Slim, they tend to be the types who don't post reviews. Other manufacturers seem to have an abundance of reviewers. Not sure how one fixes that, though.

And cheers to you, too.
beerchug.gif

EDIT: Speaking of which, I need to post my TTVJ loaner Luxman p1u impressions. Now THAT's an amp!

Apr 19, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 63
haha no point procrastinating about getting the amp, its one which is hard not to love haha jkjk

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hiphop137 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha no point procrastinating about getting the amp, its one which is hard not to love haha jkjk

you just want an amp buddy, dontchya
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 63
Hi all,
Hope I'm asking this in the correct forum. I'm new to head fi( a great site btw), but not necessarily to audio. I'm looking for a portable amp for my se530/ipod classic 160G & ipod 60G. For home audio, I'm used to going into my local shops and sitting there for a while auditioning equipment, but it doesn't seem I can find dealers to audition a variety of portable amps. Anyway, from my research and within my budget, it looks like the RSA tomahawk and TTVJ slim may be good matches. I listen to everything except hip hop,rap and just a bit of classical, but mostly rock(lossless audiophile stuff to live bootleg music - I know, opposite ends of the audio spectrum). I like the warm tube like references I've been reading about the TTVJ(I'm old school analog anyway), but maybe the TTVJ/se530 combo is too laid back? Could it be helped by a particular LOD cable? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #30 of 63
A warm welcome to your first post. Well, the TTVJ slim sounds like a good choice in your situation. Don't count too much on the LOD to change thing but if you get the TTVJ slim, I would recommed the low profile TWAG LOD. For it's excellent UPOCC silver and a better match between the ipod and Slim. As you can see from the above picture, the input on the slim is off to the side and doesn't line up with the ipod very well and it will present some difficulty to many LOD that are short or not flexible. But the one by whiplash goes at an right angle and it will fit this combo much better and with silver it won't get too laid back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back