Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #47 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the clarification.

Can I rephrase my question?

Monkey prefers which Slim? and why?

Monkey and I are different people. No monkey see, monkey do. Or monkey business. I personally preferred the TTVJ, I like the form factor and clarity better, but it is an incredibly close call, in the Boston Meet thread, other's preferred the Pico Slim, so each his or her own.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #48 of 63
yeah?.. what?.. who?.. what monkey??....

hey, no monkey business here!!...

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #49 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monkey and I are different people. No monkey see, monkey do. Or monkey business. I personally preferred the TTVJ, I like the form factor and clarity better, but it is an incredibly close call, in the Boston Meet thread, other's preferred the Pico Slim, so each his or her own.

I guess Monkey does what monkeys do best.

On another thread, appears that the Pico Slim has a "threatening thump" on power on. Did your TTVJ have a similar issue? Also, someone mentioned that the Pico Slim (the RSA Shadow the same) is designed primarily for IEMs. Does the TTVJ Slim "like" low impedance (16 to 32 ohm) IEMs, and have the ability to power some serious cans (I.e. HD600)?

You seem to be one of the few owners of the TTVJ Slim who actually voices his/her opinion. Now that I got your attention, I'm going to ask every question I can think of.

Apr 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #50 of 63
hey jipod,

I dont think there is a thump issue with the TTVJ slim as I haven't read anywhere who had that problem. I think even with Pico slim no one was expecting such a thing hence now it's sort of becoming an issue with some of the members who pre ordered it..

as for TTVJ slim for being powerful enough to drive big cans, my guess is it can probably drive them to loud volume but not sure if they will drive them well enough. I think it has 3 gain settings so it should be ok. maybe just call TTVj and ask them. when i spoke to Todd he was very helpful. and maybe sign up for the loaner program and test it out, if you are not in a hurry to buy one and can wait.

I've decided to go with the original hybrid portable as i have read that they do pretty good justice in driving big cans.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #51 of 63
Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.

Can I rephrase my question?

Monkey prefers which Slim? and why?

I prefer the Pico Slim for the form factor and the attenuator. I think SQ is just about equal between the Pico Slim and the TTVJ Slim. Just a matter of preference.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #52 of 63
Quote:

I guess Monkey does what monkeys do best.

On another thread, appears that the Pico Slim has a "threatening thump" on power on. Did your TTVJ have a similar issue? Also, someone mentioned that the Pico Slim (the RSA Shadow the same) is designed primarily for IEMs. Does the TTVJ Slim "like" low impedance (16 to 32 ohm) IEMs, and have the ability to power some serious cans (I.e. HD600)?

You seem to be one of the few owners of the TTVJ Slim who actually voices his/her opinion. Now that I got your attention, I'm going to ask every question I can think of.

Yes. There is a bit of a "thump issue" when turning the amp off and your iems are still on your ears. Not bone rattling or ear drum blow out, but its there, regardless of what volume you use prior to turning it off (low or high volume, it’s the same “thump” when powering down). Turing the amp on, it's much, much less noticeable. Like Boomana does with her pico slim, I just take my phones out of my ears before turning the power off. Hope that helps. Cheers

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #53 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The volume control on the pico slim is better, and it's smaller.

With all due respect, can you explain what is better? The knob sticking out of the front of the Pico sure looks bigger too.
confused.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #54 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey jipod,

I dont think there is a thump issue with the TTVJ slim

There is a moderate thump on and off; more pronounced powering on.

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #55 of 63
^^ Thanks for the correction MT0227. I guess its not much of an issue for TTVJ slim owners.

Apr 22, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #56 of 63
I just turn it on before I put in my iems in my ears. Sometimes I turn it on first, then plug in my iems, noise is a little less . It doesn't bother me too much, just not sure how all this affects my iems.

Apr 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #57 of 63
Can anyone please comment on the TTVJ Slim's optional DAC (i.e. when used with a computer)? I am interested in particular whether it is better than the DAC signal from the iPhone 3GS line out. Thanks in advance.

May 6, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #58 of 63
Yes, it has a better SQ for my ears than the 3GS from my MacBook Pro.  Decidedly better.  However, I prefer the Pico DAC/RSA Protector combo in balanced mode over the TTVJ Slim combo, even though it is far more convenient to use as a single unit.

Using the iPhone with a LOD is simply impossible for me, regardless of the amp being used unless placed in Airplane mode, due to the strong EM interference it produces.  Some amps are more sensitive to this than others, but all have tried so far are affected by this to some degree.  My iPad 3G acts the same way.

Hope this helps a bit.

May 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #60 of 63

Quote:

It helps a lot. Thanks!

(I am still waiting on my QB-EM Shields. This was recommended by HPA and hopefully it will solve the iPhone 3GS EM problem.)

I use this shield w/my ttvj slim and 3gs, it works as it says, blocks out 80-90% of interference, but when a soft passage comes on and you hit the edge network at the same time, you will hear the screech, your only hope for free RF all the time is in airplane mode, IMO. Also, if possible keep your wi-fi enabler off if you are not using wifi so it's not constantly searching for a wifi signal, this seems to help as well.

But the amp rocks hard, no question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back