TTVJ Millett Portable Hybrid = Awesome
Feb 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #31 of 77
It is indeed magical. This has moved past my iqube and topkit D10 to become my favourite amp. It just sounds amazing with vocals, but also has a strong bass presence so it's perfect for the albums that I love
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to very different music from you... But also revisiting oldies. Just put on a 1990s Namie Amuro album and fell in love with the whole experience. Very well-rounded, full, and musical.

Sent my JH13s in for refitting.. Can't wait to get them back to pair them with this amp!

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is indeed magical. This has moved past my iqube and topkit D10 to become my favourite amp. It just sounds amazing with vocals, but also has a strong bass presence so it's perfect for the albums that I love
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to very different music from you... But also revisiting oldies. Just put on a 1990s Namie Amuro album and fell in love with the whole experience. Very well-rounded, full, and musical.

Sent my JH13s in for refitting.. Can't wait to get them back to pair them with this amp!

Hi Jelt,

What kind of tubes does your C&C TU use?

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #33 of 77
Sorry, I have no idea. I opened it up and there were no markings to distinguish it. I then proceeded to pad it all around with blu-tack so now pictures won't help either.

Increasingly though the C&C TU is becoming my first choice for non-vocal music. The C&C TU really strikes the perfect balance between being crisp and non-fatiguing. When it comes to music with vocals, however... it doesn't come close to matching the lushness and richness of the TTVJ.

If you're thinking of trying the C&C TU, it might work very well for you depending on the type of music you listen to.

Feb 13, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by jelt2359 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I have no idea. I opened it up and there were no markings to distinguish it. I then proceeded to pad it all around with blu-tack so now pictures won't help either.

Increasingly though the C&C TU is becoming my first choice for non-vocal music. The C&C TU really strikes the perfect balance between being crisp and non-fatiguing. When it comes to music with vocals, however... it doesn't come close to matching the lushness and richness of the TTVJ.

If you're thinking of trying the C&C TU, it might work very well for you depending on the type of music you listen to.

Thanks for the information.
I really don't need another amp.
beyersmile.png

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #36 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... this is pretty curious. When I tried the Millet Hybrid, ringing noise was an issue but it is obvious that some of you are not experiencing this hassle. Has this amp gone any revisions in its production run?

I own two of these amps, one has a volume pot that juts out a bit from the face plate and the other which I purchased used has a one that is slightly recessed. If this is evidence of a revision in it's production run only Todd would know. I haven't heard any difference in sound quality between the two.

I only get a pinging noise when I plug in headphones or set down the amp on a hard surface. The noise dissipates after 10 secs or so.

I don't use the amps as portables so I cannot tell you if it pings on the run/walk. I have mine connected to my desktop CD players and use them like full sized amps.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 77
i tried this amp with hf-2 and it drive hf-2 with authority (borrowed from friend), comparable to some desktop amp. Unfortunately during the time i have this amp, i loan out my k701 so no chance to compare. but to summarize, this amp is a beast and under rated. i would rather call this amp a desktop replacement amp rather than portable amp as it is not that portable after all plus the annoying pinging sound when moved

Feb 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 77
As far as I know, some head-fier thought to add blu-tack with good results, and recent units that have gone out have all had blu-tack installed as default. Hence the ringing issue is far less.

I compared this with my C&C TU, for instance, and the latter rings like it's playing it's own song. Almost unbearable sometimes. In contrast the Millet Hybrid is perfectly fine for the go.

Apr 17, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #39 of 77
bumping up this thread..

I might be interested in this amp but got a few questions..from the reviews I have read on this amp, most have liked the synergy with grados and/or with high impedence hard to drive phones - senn 600, 650, AKG 701 etc..

I just couldn't find any reference to low impedance cans apart from some iems (don't use iems). can anyone comment on how they do with low impedance cans such esw9, esw10jpn etc. in terms of hiss??

also, having never used tube amps before, how well do they go with classical music? I'm mainly looking to pair it up with my ipod and esw10s listening to classical & jazz (I know jazz works really well but for the most part~90% of my listening is with classical music).

thanks

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #40 of 77
Grados and AKG are low impedance phones.

If I were left with only the RS-1s and the p. hybrid as the only music system, I'd count myself lucky. The only thing I've heard was an issue is tube ringing when the player was moved around. As mentioned, there are solutions to this.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados and AKG are low impedance phones.

If I were left with only the RS-1s and the p. hybrid as the only music system, I'd count myself lucky. The only thing I've heard was an issue is tube ringing when the player was moved around. As mentioned, there are solutions to this.

yeah, I've heard about the ringing being fixed up to a point. either way, most of the time I use my portable setup more as transportable so it shouldn't be an issue. my only concern is hiss with sensitive hps.
and also how tubes sound with classical music since I have never heard tubes before..

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #42 of 77
Some people don't like tubes. I guess SS gear has a crispness they prefer to it. I personally prefer tubes in the signal chain somewhere. The pen tubes used are not to be confused with a good set of NOS classics but do give you the effects tubes have on the sound.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #43 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some people don't like tubes. I guess SS gear has a crispness they prefer to it. I personally prefer tubes in the signal chain somewhere. The pen tubes used are not to be confused with a good set of NOS classics but do give you the effects tubes have on the sound.

this being a hybrid, I'm hoping that its not too smoothed out and the sound should be ok for classical. esp I plan to match it with esw10's for now (until I get a fullsized can like w1000x) which is clear, bright, detailed hps.
only concern is if it will make the mids more pronounced and too forward.

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... this is pretty curious. When I tried the Millet Hybrid, ringing noise was an issue but it is obvious that some of you are not experiencing this hassle. Has this amp gone any revisions in its production run?

The blu'tack modification is too hard going for me. I figured it was more to do with 'how' people carry the tube amp on the go.

I use a neoprene wrap, and ensure there is little free movement where it can jolt against the source player. That way, it doesn't ping or ring. As far as I know, mine hasn't been blu' tack mod'd. I just use mine with less free movement in a bag and it's brilliant.

Hard to imagine why people wouldn't like a tube amp. I guess that's convenience marketing overdrive for solid state gear ahem. It's my first owned big amp (after a Fiio5) and it's really really satisfying. I've tried a few others out, but nothing as stunning as this for a cross range of music from alternative, rock, classical and folk.

Apr 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #45 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The blu'tack modification is too hard going for me. I figured it was more to do with 'how' people carry the tube amp on the go.

I use a neoprene wrap, and ensure there is little free movement where it can jolt against the source player. That way, it doesn't ping or ring. As far as I know, mine hasn't been blu' tack mod'd. I just use mine with less free movement in a bag and it's brilliant.

Hard to imagine why people wouldn't like a tube amp. I guess that's convenience marketing overdrive for solid state gear ahem. It's my first owned big amp (after a Fiio5) and it's really really satisfying. I've tried a few others out, but nothing as stunning as this for a cross range of music from alternative, rock, classical and folk.

How do you find the amp with classical music ?(bring midrange too forward?) how is the soundstage with TTVJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back