trying to pick a good dj headphone ie. dj1, xone xd-53
Oct 27, 2010 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hellbent

New Head-Fier
so im looking at getting a pair of new headphone for listeing to a lot of drum and bass, dubstep and other electronic music. I want to something that actually does have clean highs and mids, but also can produce large amounts of bass. These are what i guess you could call recreational headphones for me, i am not producing anythhing, so volume and bass are bigger factors in the decision, but like i said sound quality is still important obviously. Ive been looking at ultrasones and xones most recently. The dj1 pros are supposed to be very good, but ive heard they can be a bit lacking on the bass/ volume, although they supposedly isolate decently well. Supposedly the normal dj1s rather than the pros make a bit more bass and volume, but thats just what ive heard, has anyone else experienced this? 
There doesnt seem to be much info on them on head-fi but ive read tons of really good reviews for the xones saying that they blow all other dj headphoens out of the water. They have an even bigger 53mm driver, and are suppossed to have better isolation and sound qualty than the ultrasones, along with muhc more volume and bass. Only downside that i can see to them so far is that people have said that they are heavier and not as comfortable as the dj1s, but thats not a huge issue

I will also probably be getting a portable amp of some sort for these, because id imagine those 53mm drives have a ton of potential, but ill see on that.

so has anyone else tried the xones or compared these two? i just want to get some final input before i go ahead and buy these

Oct 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 4
It's mostly "audiophiles" here, so most won't touch the DJ stuff. Try here for a good summary/comparison:
http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/headphones_2010.php

I have the Pioneer HDJ-2000 and think it's fantastic, though it's the most expensive of the bunch. Here's my comparison of it vs the Shure 840, ATH-M50 and M-Audio Q40: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/512762

Users who are viewing this thread

Back