Trying to Get into Vinyl, Need Guidance
Jul 21, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 53
My advice is if the original cartridge still works, just get the upgraded stylus and be done with it if you don't want to get a new deck.

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #32 of 53
OK, I wasn't aware I was really damaging my records, and I did just buy a new cartridge with an elliptical needle, but I'm putting the old one back on for now so I don't do any more damage. I've seemed to have misplaced my receipt, It hasn't been 30 days since I purchased it yet so hopefully I can find the receipt and get a refund and buy a more suitable TT (maybe ebay?). I really don't wanna mess with the pioneer, the platter sticks every few turns and I don't want to have to plug it into a receiver just to use it. Plus I have this shure n97xe cart that I could put to use on another TT.

edit: So I may be able to get my hands on a Pioneer PL-518 for $60, not sure if it's working or not but I should know soon. This looks like a nice TT for the price, anyone have opinions/experience on it? Also looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270608546529&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #33 of 53
That Pioneer does sound like a very good price if it's working, and if your cartridge matches the tone arm. I have no idea about the Technics on eBay. If it was me, I might consider saving up for this Denon, it comes brand new from a reputable dealer with that Ortofon Red cartridge mentioned earlier. It has a nice heavy base, a belt drive, and a dust cover all at a "close out" price. I've always preferred a belt drive, YMMV.

edit: I just noticed that you don't even need a phono stage with this turntable.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #34 of 53
Mm, I wish I had that type of money, that Denon is sexy. I'm almost positive my cart works well with that pioneer, the only thing I don't like about it is that it's direct drive. I'm worried it will hum with my cart (doesn't hum currently on my direct drive TT). It's been listed on craigslist for over a month so I'm guessing either it wasn't tagged well (it's under record player), it's not in good condition, or there's just not much interest in the area. Either way I only have a few more days to return my stanton. I'll be without listening to my records for a while, but it will be worth it in the long run to find something that won't damage my vinyl.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #35 of 53
Well that Technics on eBay might not be too bad for the $, the seller has good feedback, promises to double box it, and it comes with a new cartridge, but it is also direct drive.

Plus it works on Eurpoean voltage, lol
rolleyes.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #36 of 53
I guess I'ma need a voltage adapter then? That won't affect the consistency of the motor will it? Well whatever I decide, I have about $165 (give or take a few dollars) after restocking fee that I should get back for this stanton.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 53
Try to find a vintage receiver for your TT. I got my receiver before getting the TT, so. A good Marantz is highly desirable. Those old receivers have phono stages and aux inputs and work very well as headphone amps.
A cart for starters, I got the Grado Black1. See my sig.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #38 of 53
Ok I'm off for tonight (err this morning). Thanks grokit (and everyone else) for the suggestions/help so far. I was just too over anxious when I bought this stanton, I don't mind how it sounds but I don't want to damage my records.

Jul 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:
I guess I'ma need a voltage adapter then? That won't affect the consistency of the motor will it? Well whatever I decide, I have about $165 (give or take a few dollars) after restocking fee that I should get back for this stanton.

No the listing said it has "multi-volt", which I would assume means it works on 110/220; double check that with the seller though, make sure it works in Texas...

Quote:
Try to find a vintage receiver for your TT. I got my receiver before getting the TT, so. A good Marantz is highly desirable. Those old receivers have phono stages and aux inputs and work very well as headphone amps.
A cart for starters, I got the Grado Black1. See my sig.

The new Marantz's are pretty nice too, lol
tongue.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #40 of 53

Quote:
The new Marantz's are pretty nice too, lol
tongue.gif

Y'see, the problem with 'new' or 'current' TTs is that 1) they are, um, 'string-drive' and 2) they have no dust cover, not even a removable one, so all those parts are just exposed to dust, water flying out of the glass, your angry girlfriend, etc.
Also dare I say that all these designs are just too avant-garde?

Jul 22, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #41 of 53
I agree, although I do like looking at the Marantz, it's like a piece of art. It really needs to be in a perfect environment not to be a PITA, so I would much rather actually use something like the Denon. Auto-return, dust protection, much more convenient and practical. Those new dust covers for current high-end turntables are borderline insulting; they charge extra for them and don't even provide a hinge.
That Denon is current though, I wouldn't mind getting one myself...
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #42 of 53
You can get the Denon at LP Gear for $90 less, and I just noticed that you don't even need a special phono stage or input on your receiver/amp. You give up the cool cartridge, but do get an extra upgraded stylus and belt.

Jul 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:
Y'see, the problem with 'new' or 'current' TTs is that 1) they are, um, 'string-drive' and 2) they have no dust cover, not even a removable one, so all those parts are just exposed to dust, water flying out of the glass, your angry girlfriend, etc.
Also dare I say that all these designs are just too avant-garde?

Did you just try and say that Belt Drive is bad or worst than Direct Drive? If so, on what basis do you make these allegations?

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #45 of 53

Quote:
Did you just try and say that Belt Drive is bad or worst than Direct Drive? If so, on what basis do you make these allegations?

I am not making any allegations, it's just my preference. A good direct drive is probably better than a cheap belt drive, but the uber high-end model turntables seem to mostly use a belt drive. To me, there is less possibility of unwanted vibration with a belt rather than direct drive.

Quote:
Heh, you trying to make jokes about Texas?

No no, I would just want to make sure the plug is right!

They do have electricity out in Texas, don't they
wink.gif
?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back