Truly exciting gear?
Feb 25, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #17 of 32
Vinyl, vinyl, vinyl. My CD Player recently had to go back to the factory for repair, so I had two months worth of nothing but vinyl. I started to miss the convenience of being able to listen to music without the "warm-up routine" of the record cleaner, de-static device, and setting VTA. Surface noise is VERY low in my system, but hey, we're all perfectionists (or we'd have a more affordable hobby), so this started to wear on me a bit too. I was so happy when the store called this weekend to tell me the CD Player was back. I smiled all the way home, popped in an SACD and said...

What? THIS IS IT?

I'd forgotten how vastly superior vinyl is.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #18 of 32
I will join the vinyl chorus, however, stop looking to your gear for thrills. As exciting as a new purchase is, you get used to it after awhile. It becomes routine. Anything will, no matter how exotic and fresh.

The best thing to do is to mix up your music. Get into a new genre, buy something you've never heard of, and so on. Sound quality aside, this is the real reason to get into vinyl. You can hit a thrift shop, spend $4 and you'll have a week's worth of new experiences. You cannot beat it.

Second, get some speakers. Preferably dipoles. You'll get used to them in time, too, but they're mind-bendingly good. The MMG recommendation is a good one. But keep an eye out for other electrostats, ribbons, planars, and AMTs. They're unlike anything you've ever heard.

Third, have you thought about building your own gear? Anyone can, you can save a bundle and it will keep your interest for a lifetime. Further, you will get attached to your builds, which will help keep you from getting bored with it.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #19 of 32
Building my own gear? Holy crap. I'd love to, but I can't even change the oil in my lawnmower.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 32
Sure you can! Drop in at the DIY Forum and build a CMoy. Then you can work your way up. Sticking a wire through a hole, heating it up and applying solder is easy. You're smart enough to pick up on the rest. Then once you get the hang of it, you'll start getting creative. You'll notice that most DIY adherents never get bored. There's always something more to build and you never know what other interesting project will come up.

Very early this morning, I closed a deal on a pair of Quad ESL-63 speakers. A week ago, I never expected to have a pair of electrostats. But the deal was good, I can pick them up locally and they're a new adventure. They're not trashed, but they are worn out. I'm going to have to build a diaphragm tensioning table to rebuild all the panels. I've never done this before, but I think I can do it. I'm going to rebuild their power supplies and filter circuits with all new parts, too. But this will be an adventure and I'm looking forward to it. I know I'll end up learning a ton about how an ESL works and, hopefully, I'll wind up with great speakers at a bargain price.

So I encourage you to find a project and give it a shot. The talent pool here is deep - if someone can't answer your questions, they will know who to ask or where to look. If somethin interests you, jump in. You'll have guidance and advice all the way, then you'll be able to help people out. Try it.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sticking a wire through a hole, heating it up and applying solder is easy.

Speak for yourself... I almost managed to burn the house down just soldering the loose tips of some speaker wire together
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:34 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very early this morning, I closed a deal on a pair of Quad ESL-63 speakers. A week ago, I never expected to have a pair of electrostats. But the deal was good, I can pick them up locally and they're a new adventure. They're not trashed, but they are worn out. I'm going to have to build a diaphragm tensioning table to rebuild all the panels. I've never done this before, but I think I can do it. I'm going to rebuild their power supplies and filter circuits with all new parts, too. But this will be an adventure and I'm looking forward to it. I know I'll end up learning a ton about how an ESL works and, hopefully, I'll wind up with great speakers at a bargain price.

Holy crap, that's awesome.
redface.gif
Did you get the pair in Mission Viejo? Keep us updated on how that works out! I've got the 57's right now, just waiting for a good deal on an amp to pop up.
PS: Are you in Manhattan Beach? I'm in Westchester if you know where that is.

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #24 of 32
Hrmm...

Balancing Act Prototype
Parasound DAC 1500/1600
Modded Assemblage DAC2.6
Spectral SDR-2000 Pro

K1000 out of the Zanden 300B SET amp
AD2000 (I like more headphones than these, but how solidly they dethroned the HD6X0 in the mid end was quite impressive).

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #25 of 32
Tannoy Prestige series speakers The Kensingtons are pure magic EVERY time I hear them, but I'm hoping the slightly more affordable Glenairs are at the same level (will audition soon). I'm currently contemplating ways to liquidate a whole slew of top-notch gear to make a serious run at one of these. My Tannoy Dimension TD10s come close, but damn nothing has struck me like the sound of those Kensingtons. Not the Wilson Maxx, not those insane McIntosh line array speakers - not even close to the Tannoys' musicality. The B&W Diamond Sigs were GREAT but I'd still take the Tannoys over them in a heartbeat.

A good vinyl sounce Significant step up over any redbook player, IMO. But it's the availability of great music on old used vinyl that's the best part. I've heard a number of really good setups, of course I'm fairly partial to my SOTA Star III/Fidelity Research FR-64fx arm/Benz Micro Glider L2 cart/Benz Lukaschek PP-1 phono setup.

Vintage power amps Once restored these can sound right up there with expensive modern hifi. Save your money for the speakers & table you really want
smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheiser HD650 For the price, something this balanced that scales so readily with amp and source is a real bargain. Really responds to an excellent vinyl source, IMO.

Gilmore dynalo The older line of Headamp Gilmores are undervalued on the used market IMO. They're superb headphone amps for the money, and even better preamps.

Feb 26, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I've preordered the HD800. Now I'm worried about having proper supporting equipment. I kind of imagine lots of people are thinking about that now. Something like the 800 sets off a chain of $$$ at Head-Fi, doesn't it? As if the phones weren't $ enough.
redface.gif

Ha! Isn't that the truth!
Perhaps a new DAC? I know you've been happy with your CIAudio VHP-2, maybe you should check out the VDA-2? Having owned a SlimDevices SB3 for a couple years now I can't imagine going back to the process of switching discs in and out again. The ability to skip around easily and quickly using the SB3 and the smooth analog-ish sound of the VDA-2 is a great combination IMHO.

Please let us know how the HD800's sound, I am insanely jealous.
smile_phones.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #27 of 32
Try Magix levitation feet. I couldn't hear a difference between CD and SACD, but Magix made a huge difference.
I have found that ERS Paper is only good when using K1000, with HD590 it sounded better without ERS Paper.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #28 of 32
New music! That's the key, truly. Hit up the music forum and check out some of the interesting threads. I've discovered some interestingly weird and great stuff that way. LastFM is also a great way to find music similar to what you already like.

I second DIY. I'm really keen to get the new Sabre32-based Buffalo DAC when the kit becomes available. Presently I'm awaiting a new DAC that I hope will blow away my Northstar, as a similarly designed vintage model I had a chance to listen with was amazing.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #29 of 32
I'm still not sure about the concept of me doing DIY - I couldn't figure out how to use the Crockpot last night - but discovering new music seems like a safe and sure bet, for everyone.

It's interesting the number of people passionate about stats and Magnepans and vinyl. Must be something to it. Especially the Maggies.

Feb 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #30 of 32
AKG K1000 & RWA Signature 30.2. Simply a match made in heaven!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back