True-Fi Software by Sonarworks
Jun 2, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #31 of 67
I bought both the HD800 and HD800S. Out of the box, I far preferred HD800S. I had read, though, that EQ could make them sound the same. So I tried this software, since the cost is so much less than the difference in price between the headphones.

I will say that the two sets of phones do sound quite similar using Sonarworks, but not identical. Each does certain things slightly better than the other. Perhaps those differences would go away if I were to send in my phones for an individual calibration.

But I did note one big difference: really low notes. The cheaper HD800 actually did better with these than the more expensive HD800S when using Sonarworks. The opening of "Birdland" by Quincy Jones has some seriously low notes, which nearly disappear on the 800S, but come through nicely on the 800.

Now, I'm going to try one more: HD700. They're so comfortable, but I couldn't stand their sonic signature before. If this software can make those headphones sound very similar to the HD800, then I will send back both 800 and 800S and save quite a bit of money!
Let us know if the HD700 can reproduce the low end. I use SW ref 3 with the HD800.

Bern

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #32 of 67
Just tried out TrueFi this afternoon.

I am very impressed. TrueFi put my HD800 EQ curves to shame. HD800 low end never sound so juicy and rumbling... (no bass boost in TF). HD800 response to EQ exceptionally well. My urge to try out HD800S just vaporized.

For Focal Clear, there's a slight difference. IMO, not a noticeable improvement since the Clear's tonality is quite dead on already.

There's no HE-6 profile for me to apply.

I do hear some very tasteful compression and probably some other DSP voodoo in TrueFi.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #33 of 67
Let us know if the HD700 can reproduce the low end. I use SW ref 3 with the HD800.

Bern
Got the HD700 today ... and the HD800 is going back! The HD700 can handle the low end just fine.

No, the HD700 will not sound exactly like the HD800, even with True-Fi trying to compensate both to a flat response curve. Some of the remaining difference in sound could be attributable to differences in individual headphones (True-Fi tries to EQ to the average of all headphones of a particular make and model, since not all with the same model number will be exactly alike.) But I suspect most of the remaining difference comes down to specific physical characteristics of the headphones. Maybe the larger transducers on the HD800? Maybe the angle they point them toward the ear? I don't know. But the HD800 (and the HD800S) are still the king of wide soundstage.

And yet, I found I liked the HD700 better. I now understand why some folks complain that the HD800 are almost too extreme with the soundstage, making it sound artificial. The HD700 have a nice soundstage compared to a lot of headphones, but never gets stretched to the point of sounding fake.

I'm shocked anybody likes the HD700 without compensation software. The frequency response is almost wildly erratic right out of the box. I guess everything's a matter of taste, but it's no wonder this one is polarizing. But use Sonarworks, and suddenly you have something quite similar to the HD800 and HD800S for hundreds less. And you might even find yourself preferring it, like I did!

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #34 of 67

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #35 of 67
I figured out that True-Fi leaves the HD700 a good bit brighter sounding than the HD800, at least for my phones. But that's one advantage to being a male near 50: to make them close in sound, all I have to do is adjust the age compensation slider to 10% on the HD700 to make them sound VERY similar to the HD800 at 50% compensation.

The only bummer there is that I really prefer how, with the HD800, I have a lot of room to adjust the slider for more or less compensation. So when I'm listening to a recording with a lot of sibilance (like Led Zep's "The Ocean"), I can easily tame it by lowering the age compensation. But the HD700s usually sound best with just 10% compensation, so there is very little room to go lower to make a sibilant recording listenable.

Not to fear! When listening to iTunes and/or Apple Music, I can use their built-in equalizer setting of "Treble Reducer." I know theirs isn't the optimal equalizer, but it does a pretty good job of making the HD700 closer to the HD800. That is, I can adjust age compensation to 50% for most recordings, and then have just as much room to go up or down to tailor the sound based on the recording. It's awesome!

Hope this bit of advice can help others who find the HD700 too bright even with True-Fi.

Jun 5, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #36 of 67
So wanted to give my opinions on the HD 6XX with True-Fi.

I had to enable the option to lower volume to avoid clipping with these headphones. I didn't mess with the bass boost. On some songs, adding extra bass boost would be too much, so I left it off, along with the age varied highs setting.

Overall, it sounds great! It really fills out the low end and rids the 6XX of the mid hump without deteriorating the overall pleasure of the frequency range. As for the highs, I couldn't really tell you what happens to them. Just know the needed raises in the low end just smooths out the sound and gives the headphones that extra kick they needed. The 6XX already shot above its weight class and True-Fi just bumped it up another level. Im loving it

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #38 of 67
So True-Fi is just a 3rd Party EQ/DSP? I keep reading that it is supposed to tune your headphones to duplicate what the sound engineer is hearing. How does it compensate for your gear other than your headphones. Your AMP, DAC etc? I have been to many recording sessions and used to help at a buddies studio in Burbank and have heard the mix right off the console.

Basically, I am trying to wrap my head around how True-Fi can compensate for gear it has no idea you have.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #39 of 67
So True-Fi is just a 3rd Party EQ/DSP? I keep reading that it is supposed to tune your headphones to duplicate what the sound engineer is hearing. How does it compensate for your gear other than your headphones. Your AMP, DAC etc? I have been to many recording sessions and used to help at a buddies studio in Burbank and have heard the mix right off the console.

Basically, I am trying to wrap my head around how True-Fi can compensate for gear it has no idea you have.
It alters the sound of just the headphones. I'm not sure how they do it. I think it's just eq curves to compensate to a more neutral response.

Jun 25, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #40 of 67
Solid state amps and DACs add incredibly little distortion, right? If True-Fi corrects for the inaccuracies of the headphones, then the final sound has to be awfully close to reference flat. Am I wrong?

Tube amps might be a different deal. But just how much warmth do they add?

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:29 PM Post #42 of 67
I'm a happy True-Fi user as of a few days ago. Gave the free trial a spin, and the way Sonarworks offers it is really commendable: no registration, no activation, no limitations. Just download the file, install, and enjoy it for 10 days with absolutely no limitations. As trivial as it may sound, this no-frills, customer-friendly trial approach also played a role in my decision to purchase the full version after a day.

The next - and main reason - is the sound, of course. I have 2 entry-level headphones almost featured in the True-Fi profiles. The Grado SR80i (SR80e is in True-Fi) and ATH-M30 (M30x is featured). Tried both profiles with my headphones and I was pretty taken aback. I've previously fiddled with EQ (very amateurishly), and also tried applying some of the EQ APO profiles found on this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/92b08s/eq_settings_for_700_headphones/

These were more or less supposed to do the same as True-Fi. On my phone, the Neutralizer app was again supposed to achieve the same goal. However, these all altered the sound of my headphones, but I definitely could not decide if for better or for worse or just different. In the end, I mostly ended up not using the EQs. But when I enabled True-Fi it was the first time ever that EQ actually made the headphones sound better to my ears - especially the Grados. Mind you, my gear is basic - a FiiO E10K DAC/amp and Deezer 320kbps and Bandcamp FLAC, and maybe the effects aren't so evident on higher end gear... but on my setup the price I paid for True-Fi was definitely worth it (even more so because I caught it on a 30% discount sale).

Also, the next day I got an email from Sonarworks thanking me for the purchase and asking if I was happy with it, which was a nice gesture. So, my experience with the product so far has been nothing but positive.

Dec 5, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #43 of 67
After testing the app for a while finally bought a True-Fi licence on BF.

The good: it manages to extract an impressive amount of bass from my HD800 (even without activating personalization). I have a test track called Acoustic (from Stratosphere Soundsystem) and it starts with a bass that now makes your head vibrate. Also the sound is much more comfortable to listen to for longer periods of time.

The bad: vocals and highs lose some details and are more 'laid back'. I wish there was a way to 'flatten' only the first third of the curve. Activating 'age personalization' brings back some of the details but sounds unnatural to me. I also wish there was a way to use it on my Fiio & mobile phone with Deezer (on mobile devices it only supports Spotify and local files playback)

Overall I am happy with it and it's easy to toggle on and off.

Dec 7, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #44 of 67
the mobile versions are now in the app/play stores, the problem is for me, I don't use the same headphones on the go , vs home at my desktop so I didn't bother to download it. I use exclusively the Sennheiser HD 1 wireless IEM which is not on their list, in fact I don't think they measure any IEM's yet [but I could be wrong on that] It's such a pity since I'm a huge fan of the desktop app,[ which features 6 of my 8 headphones] and of course the concept itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back