True-Fi Software by Sonarworks
Feb 14, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #17 of 67
I downloaded the trial software, but it seems it is acting as a standalone sound option, meaning I can't run my outboard DAC and AMP with it, only via the built in sound card headphones plugged into the 3.5mm output on the PC itself. Am I missing something?

Edit, yes looks like I was missing the setting where I can set the output all is well.....

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 67
purchased the program with the Feb. discount, I have 4 headphones on the list of corrected output, so it was money well spent. It took me a awhile to get used to their sound differences with "enabled" and "disabled", It's funny how all 4 headphones sounds remarkably similar now when the correction is enabled though not the same mind you.But that was the idea behind True-Fi So yes if "accuracy" is important to one, this should be on one's short list.

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #19 of 67
---Cross posted from sonarworks forum ---

Just officially bought True-Fi on sale after a few iffy trials I had when the product first came out. Holy smokes!

Fostex t50rp: Their DSP takes my modded set way farther than I'd ever have imagined. So spacious, extended, and not subtle at all. :L3000: Haven't listened with these in a while, now they have been on my head for the last 3 hours.

beyer 770 pro 32: Fixes up a lot, the set physically can't go "way low" (in my own tests) but with the DSP the beyer spikes are all paved smooth.

-Jess

Apr 14, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #20 of 67
I have been using True-Fi for a few months now with my HD800 S. It makes a night-and-day improvement. Without it, the HD 800 S sounds thin.

May 10, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 67
HD800 sounds great with True-Fi - "night-and-day" is an appropriate description for once. I'd be surprised to find many people who prefer it stock when compared. This Senn can truly rock! The 800 is one awesomely capable headphone that just happens to have an overly bright signature. True-Fi fixes that nicely. There might be a slight sub-bass boost compared to one's idea of "flat" in a headphone, but that drop-off is what most dynamics do. The best thing is, HD800 can take lots of EQ & bass boost unlike the HD6xx-series without getting mushy (distorted).

May 10, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #22 of 67
HD800 sounds great with True-Fi - "night-and-day" is an appropriate description for once. I'd be surprised to find many people who prefer it stock when compared. This Senn can truly rock! The 800 is one awesomely capable headphone that just happens to have an overly bright signature. True-Fi fixes that nicely. There might be a slight sub-bass boost compared to one's idea of "flat" in a headphone, but that drop-off is what most dynamics do. The best thing is, HD800 can take lots of EQ & bass boost unlike the HD6xx-series without getting mushy (distorted).
I'm using SW ref 3...but agree totally with your assessment. Going to get True-Fi for my portables once it's released on Android. (will finally break down and get a smart phone at the same time). Still living in 1990's for me.

Bern

May 12, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #23 of 67
I have been using True-Fi for a few months now with my HD800 S. It makes a night-and-day improvement. Without it, the HD 800 S sounds thin.
For me the 800s distorts badly in the treble when used with this software. On the other hand my Ultrasone ed.10 sounds like the best can in the world when used with the Ultrasone 780 Pro setting.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #24 of 67
Did you check the box for "Lower volume to avoid clipping" in the settings? with some headphones this is necessary as there might be too much boosting going on on certain FRs .

May 14, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #25 of 67
Did you check the box for "Lower volume to avoid clipping" in the settings? with some headphones this is necessary as there might be too much boosting going on on certain FRs .
Yes. Tried lower volume setting. It just makes the overall volume lower like lowering the volume on the amp. It does not change the SQ/distortion.
Also the software seems to increase the dynamic range artificially.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #27 of 67
Yes. Tried lower volume setting. It just makes the overall volume lower like lowering the volume on the amp. It does not change the SQ/distortion.
Also the software seems to increase the dynamic range artificially.

Interestingly I re-downloaded the Sennheiser HD800s profile and the distortion is less/has gone.
Not sure if the algorithm has been changed or I had a bad download last time.

May 14, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #28 of 67
Wow HD800 sounds very thick and friendly to ears with this program:o2smile: Payoff is treble detail and soundstage is moderately recessed.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #29 of 67
I downloaded the trial and I can't say that it makes any difference with my Shure SRH-1540. Maybe that it adds a little bit of air and better separation, but almost indistinguishable.

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #30 of 67
I bought both the HD800 and HD800S. Out of the box, I far preferred HD800S. I had read, though, that EQ could make them sound the same. So I tried this software, since the cost is so much less than the difference in price between the headphones.

I will say that the two sets of phones do sound quite similar using Sonarworks, but not identical. Each does certain things slightly better than the other. Perhaps those differences would go away if I were to send in my phones for an individual calibration.

But I did note one big difference: really low notes. The cheaper HD800 actually did better with these than the more expensive HD800S when using Sonarworks. The opening of "Birdland" by Quincy Jones has some seriously low notes, which nearly disappear on the 800S, but come through nicely on the 800.

Now, I'm going to try one more: HD700. They're so comfortable, but I couldn't stand their sonic signature before. If this software can make those headphones sound very similar to the HD800, then I will send back both 800 and 800S and save quite a bit of money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back