Tripowin x HBB: Mele/Olina - Discussion Thread - Olina OUT now
Apr 6, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #1,546 of 1,725
NS Audio NS5 MKII is $200, oxygen is $270, olina is $100, these drivers costs $25 a piece why don't chifi makers that sell $10 iems put such driver in their iem , they would make more margin, don't they want to make money ? on a $10 iem their maximum margin must be $7 (assuming there is $3 cost of bill for driver,cable,jack plug,tips,packaging,shipping) , by adding $50 for these drivers replacing their cheapo driver they costs is now $53, they would double their bemefit to $14 if they sold a plastic olina for $53+$14=$67, won't we prefer a plastic olina copy for one third of the price less ?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #1,547 of 1,725
If you are still not happy with the Olina sound, you have a good hearing. I ended up with them after a few days.
I like them but I get caught out because I don't use them much. I found the Oxygen a little too unrefined on top so I'm probably damping the nozzle more than most here would. 250 added to the nozzle and front vent seems good and easy to me but it's nice to be able to tweak a bit to get what you prefer. The unit itself is very easy to use and quite a competent platform, especially for the cost. They will never be as refined as I prefer but they seem very much so at the price and I doubt there's anything better. That said, I haven't heard the Etymotic ER2XR or Tin T4 which may be competitive.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #1,548 of 1,725
NS Audio NS5 MKII is $200, oxygen is $270, olina is $100, these drivers costs $25 a piece why don't chifi makers that sell $10 iems put such driver in their iem , they would make more margin, don't they want to make money ? on a $10 iem their maximum margin must be $7 (assuming there is $3 cost of bill for driver,cable,jack plug,tips,packaging,shipping) , by adding $50 for these drivers replacing their cheapo driver they costs is now $53, they would double their bemefit to $14 if they sold a plastic olina for $53+$14=$67, won't we prefer a plastic olina copy for one third of the price less ?
There is no way that driver costs $25 wholesale bulk. The entire Olina, packaging, accessories etc should cost about that to manufacture to retail it for $99. As an exclusive one seller intro item, it could cost almost twice that but any more and it's a waste of their time. Here, they already had the housing, a generic cable and off the shelf case etc. to help control costs. I'm actually surprised at how nice the packaging/ accessories are. May cost more than the earpiece itself.

Apr 6, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #1,549 of 1,725
Smabat sells their modular DDs for less than $20 (profit included). Considering that the majority is unbranded and there is no patent pressing the price.... Just remembering BL-03 is a quality DLC driver (+tuning) for less than $40 and it is an enormous success. I don't know why more budget companies don't try to repeat that good single DD formula, especially KZ/CCA and TRN after so much hybrid failures

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #1,550 of 1,725
There is no way that driver costs $25 wholesale bulk. The entire Olina, packaging, accessories etc should cost about that to manufacture to retail it for $99. As an exclusive one seller intro item, it could cost almost twice that but any more and it's a waste of their time. Here, they already had the housing, a generic cable and off the shelf case etc. to help control costs. I'm actually surprised at how nice the packaging/ accessories are. May cost more than the earpiece itself.
it is michael bruce, the one who made an olina protoype last year who gave this info so must be reliable $25 is unit price sold from aliexpress (so it includes a margin), volume price must be lower

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,551 of 1,725
it is michael bruce, the one who made an olina protoype last year who gave this info so must be reliable $25 is unit price sold from aliexpress (so it includes a margin), volume price must be lower
$25 from aliexress is retail at single unit. Quantity wholesale will definitely be single digit dollars. We know that they likely ordered 1000. I'm just happy they bothered. Nothing wrong with this at all and think it's great Linsoul/HBB came up with this.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #1,552 of 1,725
$25 from aliexress is retail at single unit. Quantity wholesale will definitely be single digit dollars. We know that they likely ordered 1000. I'm just happy they bothered. Nothing wrong with this at all and think it's great Linsoul/HBB came up with this.
i am also happy tripowin did offer us olina for $99 but my point was that why kz that makes a single 10mm DD product for $10 won't switch drivers with this one if it is $9 max in quantity of 1000 as you suggest, then kz could make a move, at a minimal r&d cost, in the mid-fi, with a platic olina copy for less than $50, it will sell in lower volume than their $10 model that more people can afford but with higher margins on these $50 models. what i mean is that it is easier for a manfacturer to go up in a higher price/higher quality market segment than the opposite, so why don't they do it as there is no r&d investments required but just pulling a higher quality driver off the shelf ?

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,553 of 1,725
i am also happy tripowin did offer us olina for $99 but my point was that why kz that makes a single 10mm DD product for $10 won't switch drivers with this one if it is $9 max in quantity of 1000 as you suggest, then kz could make a move, at a minimal r&d cost, in the mid-fi, with a platic olina copy for less than $50, it will sell in lower volume than their $10 model that more people can afford but with higher margins on these $50 models. what i mean is that it is easier for a manfacturer to go up in a higher price/higher quality market segment than the opposite, so why don't they do it as there is no r&d investments required but just pulling a higher quality driver off the shelf ?
Because they can't and keep their current profit structure and KZ doesn't much care about actual performance? I mean, how much do you think they save on the shell anyway? Remember it came from the $50 Mele. The tooling was already there. The shell is likely a casting with some automated finish milling with an attractive plastic stone. A thin plastic shell that you're suggesting will eventually crack from some inevitable event. I wouldn't trust KZ to actually follow through with anything respectable nor maintain Triptowin's QC anyway. KZ prices reflect their QC and R&D, discounted. This board goes crazy over perceived value of driver count etc vs actual quality.

Here is a killer value device for the price of a proper dinner with a friend yet some can never be satiated.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #1,554 of 1,725
what best cable for olina mod tanya filter? need more thicker n fuller again than stock cable for olina mod. after i compare to oxy, tomorrow, oxy more bass, and more fuller/thicker. but not lost detil retrieval in treble, and not lost soundstage spacious and 3d holographic. any idea what cable?

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #1,555 of 1,725
what best cable for olina mod tanya filter? need more thicker n fuller again than stock cable for olina mod. after i compare to oxy, tomorrow, oxy more bass, and more fuller/thicker. but not lost detil retrieval in treble, and not lost soundstage spacious and 3d holographic. any idea what cable?
Try XINHS 8 core gold plated copper.

Apr 7, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #1,556 of 1,725
Because they can't and keep their current profit structure and KZ doesn't much care about actual performance? I mean, how much do you think they save on the shell anyway? Remember it came from the $50 Mele. The tooling was already there. The shell is likely a casting with some automated finish milling with an attractive plastic stone. A thin plastic shell that you're suggesting will eventually crack from some inevitable event. I wouldn't trust KZ to actually follow through with anything respectable nor maintain Triptowin's QC anyway. KZ prices reflect their QC and R&D, discounted. This board goes crazy over perceived value of driver count etc vs actual quality.

Here is a killer value device for the price of a proper dinner with a friend yet some can never be satiated.
i am trying to make sense of this great hbb/tripowin move that brought us an iem with one of the best sound quality/price ratio of the moment.
is tripowin the only clever chifi brand ? (using a driver with high perf/price ratio that can be bought off the shelf ) are all the other chifi makers stupid ? don't they all share the same goal that is to maximize profits ?
for example we see many different chifi brands using the same knowles or sonion drivers, if this oxygen DD is as good as it seems to be why isn't it re-used in by more brands ? my understanding of this driver story is that it was developped by an oem for tanchjim oxygen and tanchjim had a exclusivity for a few years but it is now available for any iem manufacturers who wants to use it (is this correct ?)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #1,557 of 1,725
i am trying to make sense of this great hbb/tripowin move that brought us an iem with one of the best sound quality/price ratio of the moment.
is tripowin the only clever chifi brand ? (using a driver with high perf/price ratio that can be bought off the shelf ) are all the other chifi makers stupid ? don't they all share the same goal that is to maximize profits ?
for example we see many different chifi brands using the same knowles or sonion drivers, if this oxygen DD is as good as it seems to be why isn't it resused in by more brands ? my understanding of this driver story is that it was developped by an oem for tanchjim oxygen and tanchjim had a exclusivity for a few years but it is now available for any iem manufacturers who wants to use it (is this correct ?)
That would comply with the Shenzhen Open source model.

Apr 7, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #1,558 of 1,725
Anyone tried putting the Olina with a wireless adaptor such as KZ AZ09 pro or similar? I know the AZ09 uses a C-pin, but have seen people cut back the outer hood to accommodate regular 2-pins.

I'd really be interested if someone has found a workable solution.

Apr 7, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,559 of 1,725
Anyone tried putting the Olina with a wireless adaptor such as KZ AZ09 pro or similar? I know the AZ09 uses a C-pin, but have seen people cut back the outer hood to accommodate regular 2-pins.

Just cut the extra plastic sleeve on the AZ09 pro connector. Works quite well and it is pretty secure too.
20220407_141737.jpg

Apr 8, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #1,560 of 1,725

I've used it with the Fiio Utws5. It works very nicely with the utws5. Seems like just enough output power to open the Olina up enough. I much prefer Olina wired attached to a Dap or IFi Go Blu though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back