TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Aug 12, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #21,046 of 24,683
Mine doesn't sound good from the box. Granted, total playtime is around 10 hours, so i'm sure they will sound better after some time. Right now i'm using with neutral source and EQ settings: -6db, 1.5Q around 2.4Khz and +9db high-shelf from 10Khz with smooth elevation, blue filters that supposed to be neutral if i understand it correctly from "nothing is overdone". So in default settings they have peak around 2.2-2.4Khz and rolled-off highs like any cheap in-ears, but bass and low-mids is really good, like $200-worth good. Anyway, who knows, maybe that's what they call emotional, natural sound, i'm used to neutral and analytical flavor, i think mastering coloration done by engineers in most cases is enough.

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #21,047 of 24,683
Mine doesn't sound good from the box. Granted, total playtime is around 10 hours, so i'm sure they will sound better after some time. Right now i'm using with neutral source and EQ settings: -6db, 1.5Q around 2.4Khz and +9db high-shelf from 10Khz with smooth elevation, blue filters that supposed to be neutral if i understand it correctly from "nothing is overdone". So in default settings they have peak around 2.2-2.4Khz and rolled-off highs like any cheap in-ears, but bass and low-mids is really good, like $200-worth good. Anyway, who knows, maybe that's what they call emotional, natural sound, i'm used to neutral and analytical flavor, i think mastering coloration done by engineers in most cases is enough.

I don't think those filter explanations are very good.Maybe try gold(yellow) undamped..or green.

Also your EQ settings sounds like you are fighting the intended tuning.. As far I have understood the peak at around 2-3Khz is intended and is typical also in very expensive IEM's. The roll of after 10Khz is normal also very expensive IEM's

Here is for example Brooko's fr curve of Big Dipper.

https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/9968653.png

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #21,048 of 24,683
No need to try, already tried everything. Blue, green, gold, gunmetal, silver and black are the most usable, but they don't change general sound signature drastically. Well, it doesn't have to be perfect world. All in all, it's a mid-fi iems, they just can't have everything positive, they meant to sound filtered, so more expensive iems are sold too.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #21,049 of 24,683
No need to try, already tried everything. Blue, green, gold, gunmetal, silver and black are the most usable, but they don't change general sound signature drastically. Well, it doesn't have to be perfect world. All in all, it's a mid-fi iems, they just can't have everything positive, they meant to sound filtered, so more expensive iems are sold too.

I see.. I'm also not saying that Icarus is neutral (in any sense), but a peak in 2-3kHz is actually something that is needed for neutrality for an IEM. If you don't have it the sound of an IEM will not sound the same as a speaker with completely flat FR curve. It might be very well that I misunderstood you..But if not, it might be good idea to try icarus without killing the 2-3kHz peak.

Aug 12, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #21,050 of 24,683
Yeah, i'm aware of transfer curves for headphones. I think i may be too sensitive for the region above 2Khz and up to the limit of hearing, but comparing to my open cans that costed $200 (so comparison is fair in terms of FR) have more pleasant highs and more tamed peak at 2.4Khz (and it's actually in 1.9-2.0 region) and they're reference monitors. I just don't have anything in this price range right now, so... it would be unfair to compare to higher range.
Hey, after all with EQ they sound pretty decent for the previous MSRP of 220-230 dollars and absolutely worth of consideration for pre-order price.
Anyway, looking forward to Icarus 4.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #21,051 of 24,683
Yeah, i'm aware of transfer curves for headphones. I think i may be too sensitive for the region above 2Khz and up to the limit of hearing, but comparing to my open cans that costed $200 (so comparison is fair in terms of FR) have more pleasant highs and more tamed peak at 2.4Khz (and it's actually in 1.9-2.0 region) and they're reference monitors. I just don't have anything in this price range right now, so... it would be unfair to compare to higher range.
Hey, after all with EQ they sound pretty decent for the previous MSRP of 220-230 dollars and absolutely worth of consideration for pre-order price.
Anyway, looking forward to Icarus 4.

I see.. In any case I think it would be quite strange if there would be complete consensus about any earphone as we have wildly different preferences and also very different inner ear structure and hearing..

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #21,052 of 24,683
Yeah, of course. I just thought i should share my opinion given the fact there is only positive responses so far. Every opinion matters when it's honest. And about different inner ear structure - the angle of nozzle i believe is apx. 30-35 degree and that's also a problem with Trinity in-ears for me, should've gone with 15-20, i am more of a straight nozzle guy. With Trinity angle some of frequencies don't go through. I resolved this problem with wide hole foam tips, well, partially.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #21,054 of 24,683
Yeah, of course. I just thought i should share my opinion given the fact there is only positive responses so far. Every opinion matters when it's honest. And about different inner ear structure - the angle of nozzle i believe is apx. 30-35 degree and that's also a problem with Trinity in-ears for me, should've gone with 15-20, i am more of a straight nozzle guy. With Trinity angle some of frequencies don't go through. I resolved this problem with wide hole foam tips, well, partially.
Same sort of nozzle angle as the Hunter. I also find this to personally be a bit too much angle. The only IEM I have from them using the angled nozzle is the Hunter, but it looks like it's the same angle on all their angled-nozzled IEMs which means there would always be that very slight thing I don't like about the fit anyway. Overall, certainly tolerable, just not the total best on that front.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #21,055 of 24,683
Same sort of nozzle angle as the Hunter. I also find this to personally be a bit too much angle. The only IEM I have from them using the angled nozzle is the Hunter, but it looks like it's the same angle on all their angled-nozzled IEMs which means there would always be that very slight thing I don't like about the fit anyway. Overall, certainly tolerable, just not the total best on that front.
Yeah, looks like they've gone with universal angle for their IEMs. Ideally, they should've designed and sold every model with 2 types of nozzles. Maybe they'll consider it for the future, if they survive and get on track.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #21,056 of 24,683
I see.. In any case I think it would be quite strange if there would be complete consensus about any earphone as we have wildly different preferences and also very different inner ear structure and hearing..

I had always thought that the issue of fit was because of nozzle length, but I quess not. For me the Atlas has a perfect fit and actually the Hunter is working out very well. The Icarus III is ok and the Master is not even close. But I am enjoying my Hunter so much have'nt really used the others so much anymore.

I will always suggest to others to run there IEM's and headphones through the Cardas Clarifier app or use the CD through your computer. They really do work to smooth out any rough sounds.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #21,057 of 24,683
I had always thought that the issue of fit was because of nozzle length, but I quess not. For me the Atlas has a perfect fit and actually the Hunter is working out very well. The Icarus III is ok and the Master is not even close. But I am enjoying my Hunter so much have'nt really used the others so much anymore.
I have a heck of a time with the Masters, Icarus III, several AAW's, etc. because the driver piece (what DO you call that big thing) is so big that the tip on the nozzle doesn't get far enough into my ear canal to get a seal. The Klipsch 6i, Jaybirds X2, Etymotics, and a low-fi Kickstarter called "Plugfones" are the ones that have a small enough driver to actually let the ear tips get into my ear.

Now, that said, are there any ear tips that are LONG? i.e. an extra 3-5mm or so such that they will help act as if the nozzle was that much longer? Something like that MIGHT help me get a good seal I'm thinking...

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #21,058 of 24,683
I added an extra mm by putting a fiber washer between the nozzle and Trinity Filter. Cost about .60 cents at hardware store. Filter threads fit tightly thru washer then screw in to nozzle. The washer's outer dimensions were 2 great. So they were ground down. Works well.

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #21,059 of 24,683
I have a heck of a time with the Masters, Icarus III, several AAW's, etc. because the driver piece (what DO you call that big thing) is so big that the tip on the nozzle doesn't get far enough into my ear canal to get a seal. The Klipsch 6i, Jaybirds X2, Etymotics, and a low-fi Kickstarter called "Plugfones" are the ones that have a small enough driver to actually let the ear tips get into my ear.

Now, that said, are there any ear tips that are LONG? i.e. an extra 3-5mm or so such that they will help act as if the nozzle was that much longer? Something like that MIGHT help me get a good seal I'm thinking...
I like tend to call that thing the shell. The bit with the cables coming out right? I've only ever tried one IEM that is deep insertion and that's the Earwerkz (now Empire Ears) Supra. I don't believe their shell has changed since they came out, so the one on sale now should be the same as the one I have. I wear mine with Spinfits and it's easily the deepest insertion IEM I've ever worn. Also helps the shell is the perfect shape for my ears; they might as well be customs, they fit THAT well for me.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #21,060 of 24,683
I added an extra mm by putting a fiber washer between the nozzle and Trinity Filter. Cost about .60 cents at hardware store. Filter threads fit tightly thru washer then screw in to nozzle. The washer's outer dimensions were 2 great. So they were ground down. Works well.

Great idea! I just figured that there wasn't enough threading to do that. Before taking them in with me to the hardware store, might you know the size (ID, OD, and thickness) of the fiber washer you used? (If it's no bother!)

I like tend to call that thing the shell. The bit with the cables coming out right?
Yep, the thing with a nozzle on it and the cable coming out of it (or the MMCX connector on it). I didn't know that the whole thing was called "the shell". But... ok.

I've only ever tried one IEM that is deep insertion and that's the Earwerkz (now Empire Ears) Supra.
Thanks for that info. Even two different (worn "out" over time) custom molded units (one ACS, one Symphonics) for Etymotics doesn't give great isolation. But, with all of the hassles I've had with Trinity, and lousy isolation on a few others, I've given up and won't be going to get another IEM unless absolutely needed -- except the version two of the Plugfones on Kickstarter now. http://kck.st/2vutp9U

The Plugfones are the best isolating ones I've ever encountered... an NRR of 26dB... with their 3 flange ear tips no less! Yes, a rarity in that they've actually done the NRR testing on their earphones and it's very good. May not be the most hi-fi, but I can definitely enjoy watching a movie in a loud restaurant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back