TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #18,002 of 24,683
I thought someone in toronto did. still waiting for somewhere from the westside to receive them.

Ya I'm in Calgary and trying to wait patiently for them. I have a brand new pair of Nuforce HEM8 that I have not opened yet as I thought the PM6 was going to arrive soon. I was going to sell them, but now I may have to open them.

Jun 1, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #18,003 of 24,683
How am I trying to tame the harsh highs on my PM6.
So far, PM6 sounds balanced with blue filters. but, for my collections of songs highs are still harsh.
I removed the existing damper material placed inside Blue filters and replaced with a small amout of uneven FOAM of comply tips.
It tamed highs/treble very much. but I'm still struggling to get it right. I don't know how to get this foam in proper shape and size.
I hope someone here who has PM6 will be able to help

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #18,005 of 24,683
My biggest problem with the PM6 so far was the lack of isolation. I come from BA only IEM, so I did expect to hear more of the outside world than before, but often walking next to a busy road made the music almost unenjoyable.
Foam tips seem to be the best at isolation, so I went through a couple. Tried the Trinity ones, and the Monster foam tips, but wasn't happy with either. I was looking at buying Comply's, but I can't justify sending £20 on a few tips and I've read they tend to not last very long.
Then someone on this thread mentioned the InAirs. Those are only £9, so I got a pack from Amazon. The isolation they provide is by far the best out of all the tips I have tried. With the red filters the bass actually became a bit too much, so I am back to experimenting with filters again. Very impressed so far. So if anyone needs a better seal or isolation, I very much recommend the InAirs.

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #18,006 of 24,683
In my experience the speaker driver does influence sibilance. Sibilance does happen in real life. Besides all the things mentioned previously, the speaker has more influence than just being flat in frequency reponse. Flat frequency response may guarantee the proper amount of sibilance, but speaker drivers still have to reproduce the sibilance accurately. Proper sibilance reproduction requires a fast driver. Most dynamic and some balanced armature drivers are fairly slow. They accent the sibilance. Many drivers also have break up modes and resonaces in the same frequency range sibilance inhabits. Trinity has mentioned adding damping to the BA drivers.

Listen to fast electrostats. Many consider them light to slightly bright as a class. According to the theory, this should accent sibilance. Yet, few ever gripe about it. Electrostats reproduce sibilance so quickly and distortion free, it sounds natural. Planars also tend to fair better with sibilance.

Slow, resonant drivers accent sibilance. Much like a poorly tuned woofer/box can obliterate the differences of bass instruments. Every driver operates in the frequency and time domains.

Jun 1, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #18,007 of 24,683
In my experience the speaker driver does influence sibilance. Sibilance does happen in real life. Besides all the things mentioned previously, the speaker has more influence than just being flat in frequency reponse. Flat frequency response may guarantee the proper amount of sibilance, but speaker drivers still have to reproduce the sibilance accurately. Proper sibilance reproduction requires a fast driver. Most dynamic and some balanced armature drivers are fairly slow. They accent the sibilance. Many drivers also have break up modes and resonaces in the same frequency range sibilance inhabits. Trinity has mentioned adding damping to the BA drivers.

Listen to fast electrostats. Many consider them light to slightly bright as a class. According to the theory, this should accent sibilance. Yet, few ever gripe about it. Electrostats reproduce sibilance so quickly and distortion free, it sounds natural. Planars also tend to fair better with sibilance.

Slow, resonant drivers accent sibilance. Much like a poorly tuned woofer/box can obliterate the differences of bass instruments. Every driver operates in the frequency and time domains.

Thanks for this, really interesting to read and think upon :)

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #18,008 of 24,683
LOL sorry bout that. I really hope you get them soon!:fingers_crossed:And i'm in norcal sac area :slight_smile:
Well that explains it....sort of. You're way closer to the international sorting center than I am, but I also ordered 5 months earlier than you did so that kinda pisses me off. Trinity Audio is pretty good at making a nice product, but they have zero understanding of time.

Judging by tracking data and if the updates are actually accurate, I'm gonna say that my package gets delivered mid next week. It hit San Francisco on 5/27, sorted through there, then in transit during the long weekend to Oakland, then it left Oakland the morning of 5/30 and the latest tracking event came yesterday, noting that it's in transit. Since it's just standard international mail, I'd expect that it's going by ground from CA up to WA, so that's probably a couple of days, bringing us almost to the end of this week, then it probably hits a main sorting center in WA by the end of the week (hopefully), weekend day off, then sorted through local post office branch beginning of next week, delivery by mid next week. At least, if it all goes at least relatively smoothly, that sounds like a reasonable chain of events. Which would put it at receiving almost exactly 1 year after I ordered them.

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #18,009 of 24,683
How am I trying to tame the harsh highs on my PM6.
So far, PM6 sounds balanced with blue filters. but, for my collections of songs highs are still harsh.
I removed the existing damper material placed inside Blue filters and replaced with a small amout of uneven FOAM of comply tips.
It tamed highs/treble very much. but I'm still struggling to get it right. I don't know how to get this foam in proper shape and size.
I hope someone here who has PM6 will be able to help
Not my idea but Miko7's. He removed the damping and cut it down in half and replaced in the the filters Seemed to achieve what you are trying. I would search back 20 to 30 pages and find his post he was fairly thorough in his description and he should get credit for the experiment.

Actually was the other thread, here's the link
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/t...-complaining-etc.840392/page-65#post-13510551

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #18,011 of 24,683
I have a brand new pair of Nuforce HEM8 that I have not opened yet as I thought the PM6 was going to arrive soon. I was going to sell them, but now I may have to open them.

If everything that's being said in this thread about the PM6 is true, then the HEM8 have a very, very different signature so you'll likely much prefer one or the other. They're also extremely comfortable. I wouldn't sell them without hearing them first.

Jun 2, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #18,013 of 24,683
I pre-ordered it, but has no actual reference of the Hyperion anywhere. Depends on how fast I was to grab it. :p
I ordered Icarus IV 24 hours after the pre-order email...no mention of hyperions in the confirmation email... But Bobncrew have got so much going on I didn't expect to be advised I was one of the doubley lucky 250. Lucky to have gotten such a great deal on an, on paper at least, fantastic set of iems. And honestly, the hyperions would make it an absolutely silly deal. Which I would gladly accept of course.

Jun 2, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #18,014 of 24,683
The original email stated the first 250 would get the hyperions, but I now checked and that part is gone. So I guess they had quite some pre-orders (above 250).

Regarding the discussion about sibilance. It is true that it is a recording defect. However, I have headphones that much more resolution than the pm6, they reveal sibilance but it is much more contained. For the pm6 with most filters that somewhat accentuate or roll highs, sibilance gets amplified tremendously. Therefore, I suspect that people liking music that is by nature prones to be bright or with sibilance will have tough time with the pm6

Jun 2, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #18,015 of 24,683
The original email stated the first 250 would get the hyperions, but I now checked and that part is gone. So I guess they had quite some pre-orders (above 250).

Regarding the discussion about sibilance. It is true that it is a recording defect. However, I have headphones that much more resolution than the pm6, they reveal sibilance but it is much more contained. For the pm6 with most filters that somewhat accentuate or roll highs, sibilance gets amplified tremendously. Therefore, I suspect that people liking music that is by nature prones to be bright or with sibilance will have tough time with the pm6
The email sent out on May 28th stated the first 250 would get the hyperions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back