TRINITY - PHANTOM/SAGARIS SERIES - Newer Thread (JUST IMPRESSIONS ETC - DO NOT POST ABOUT ORDER STATUS - COMPLAINING - ETC.)

Which Is Your Favorite Filter?

• Total voters
May 25, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #961 of 1,582
About the filter survey... I just received my Master 6 in Belgium yesterday, and I came to realize I would probably not use the same filters on the Master 6 than on the Master.
I am struggling to see which I prefer between the blue and black on the Master (or even gold undamped when I want a "funnier" listening experience).
These, however, sound quite "thin" on the Master 6, on which I prefer the green ones.
Please take my advice with a grain of salt, as I have had limited time with the Master 6 so far.
My time with the PM6 is also limited but ATM I am using exactly the same filters on my Master and on PM6 as yourself (and for the same reasons).

May 25, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #964 of 1,582
Answered the survey. Unfortunate there was no box to explain my choices. Although I already expressed my view earlier through e-mail.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #966 of 1,582
@hernandoco
I don't think waiting would make any difference. For me it just isn't black or white / supporting or not supporting.
As said I've expressed my feelings via e-mail to Jake regarding the communication in general and regarding my Master order.
For now I'm done with supporting but that can change if the company changes. I believe in the good intentions from Trinity and love the shown passion and willpower to get through this. The trouble as an example with the Ti shells is not Trinity's fault, blame the supplier. The communication on the other hand...
I've test-drove the Master's quick, before returning them (fit issue), and they sound very good. So I hope sincerely that Trinity will survive and bring us many wonderful IEM's, headphones and other stuff in the future. Good products, clear/timely communication and a good price. That I think, is the key.

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #967 of 1,582
@hernandoco
I don't think waiting would make any difference. For me it just isn't black or white / supporting or not supporting.
As said I've expressed my feelings via e-mail to Jake regarding the communication in general and regarding my Master order.
For now I'm done with supporting but that can change if the company changes. I believe in the good intentions from Trinity and love the shown passion and willpower to get through this. The trouble as an example with the Ti shells is not Trinity's fault, blame the supplier. The communication on the other hand...
I've test-drove the Master's quick, before returning them (fit issue), and they sound very good. So I hope sincerely that Trinity will survive and bring us many wonderful IEM's, headphones and other stuff in the future. Good products, clear/timely communication and a good price. That I think, is the key.

"Next week" was a joke. I guess you didn't get it. Every time you ask Trinity for anything, the answer is always next week. So now that they're asking something of us, the answer should also be next week.

May 25, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #968 of 1,582
I've been experimenting with my Masters since the day I got them. I thought I had a good seal with L kombis but I was wrong, I switched to the enormous foam tips provided and what a difference in mids. When listening to gold-undampened the mids were brought significantly closer and the highs became peaky and harsh in certain recordings. I went on and re-listened to all the filters and still couldn't find a favorite.

The gold undampened can sound too harsh and peaky in some recordings, but the dampened version glosses over the minute details which are fun to listen to. Silver has too much bass, blue not enough bass, purple too much treble. Green sounds pretty good but feels congested and mids heavy plus misses out on high end detail.

I got pretty annoyed that I can't get a good and secure fit with the kombis where a partial seal makes the gold (undampened) filters sound good, but with foam tips that provide a great and secure seal the filters sound too damn harsh.

Here's where it hit me, take the black dampening foam and stick it inside the gold undampened filters. So I did, and what did it sound like? Kind of like the black filters but with slightly more mids maybe, the lack of sparkle and treble detail left me unimpressed, much like the gold dampened filters.

But this is where I may be onto something. I pulled the black foam dampening out of the green filters and they came alive with clear highs! Sound signature sounds vaguely familiar and may be similar to the gold undampened filters but with bassier body and SLIGHTLY less elevated treble peaks, possibly. Unless the green filters are actually just the gold filters anodized green and stuffed with black foam inserts. It's really hard to tell without graphing.

The black foam insert seems to act somewhere between the 6-7kHz range the most from what I can tell, but I don't have any test tones on my DAC to verify this.

Next I'm going to pull the black-inserts from the red and black filters and see if they resemble the silver and purple filters respectively. My uncalibrated ears can tell only so much, feedback is greatly appreciated from anyone who wants to compare impressions.

Edit:
With longer filters I could possibly go back to L kombi tips, but as it is now the current filters with kombi tips don't sit in far enough and the top of my ear pushes the IEM back out under any movement of my head.

I'm listening on a X5II with E12A on about 40% volume
18721326_10209101386867091_621352660_o.jpg
18721446_10209101386547083_2041313401_o.jpg

18745320_10209101386507082_892108296_o.jpg

Last edited:
May 25, 2017 at 3:37 PM Post #969 of 1,582
"Next week" was a joke. I guess you didn't get it. Every time you ask Trinity for anything, the answer is always next week. So now that they're asking something of us, the answer should also be next week.
Haha, yes I'm aware of the joke but didn't get it this time. My bad.

May 25, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #970 of 1,582
I've been experimenting with my Masters since the day I got them. I thought I had a good seal with L kombis but I was wrong, I switched to the enormous foam tips provided and what a difference in mids. When listening to gold-undampened the mids were brought significantly closer and the highs became peaky and harsh in certain recordings. I went on and re-listened to all the filters and still couldn't find a favorite.

The gold undampened can sound too harsh and peaky in some recordings, but the dampened version glosses over the minute details which are fun to listen to. Silver has too much bass, blue not enough bass, purple too much treble. Green sounds pretty good but feels congested and mids heavy plus misses out on high end detail.

I got pretty annoyed that I can't get a good and secure fit with the kombis where a partial seal makes the gold (undampened) filters sound good, but with foam tips that provide a great and secure seal the filters sound too damn harsh.

Here's where it hit me, take the black dampening foam and stick it inside the gold undampened filters. So I did, and what did it sound like? Kind of like the black filters but with slightly more mids maybe, the lack of sparkle and treble detail left me unimpressed, much like the gold dampened filters.

But this is where I may be onto something. I pulled the black foam dampening out of the green filters and they came alive with clear highs! Sound signature sounds vaguely familiar and may be similar to the gold undampened filters but with bassier body and SLIGHTLY less elevated treble peaks, possibly. Unless the green filters are actually just the gold filters anodized green and stuffed with black foam inserts. It's really hard to tell without graphing.

The black foam insert seems to act somewhere between the 6-7kHz range the most from what I can tell, but I don't have any test tones on my DAC to verify this.

Next I'm going to pull the black-inserts from the red and black filters and see if they resemble the silver and purple filters respectively. My uncalibrated ears can tell only so much, feedback is greatly appreciated from anyone who wants to compare impressions.

Edit:
With longer filters I could possibly go back to L kombi tips, but as it is now the current filters with kombi tips don't sit in far enough and the top of my ear pushes the IEM back out under any movement of my head.

Keep those experiments coming! I've had a hard time finding just the right filter myself (I just go green with EQ). I may have to try the undampened green or blue.

May 25, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #972 of 1,582

Edit:

This post reminds me how nutty head-fi'ers are! :)

Kidding aside, great job take the tweaking another level. I'm sure you have just inspired a bunch of us to start playing around with the filter inserts. And I'm sure what will follow next will be some experimentation with alternate materials.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm curious what are your current favorite IEM's?

May 26, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #974 of 1,582
Can somebody parse the recent email from Trinity about ordering the Icarus? I could not figure out if they were saying the Icarus III is shipping or not. Just wondering what the status of that unit is.

"For those that have already got in on the pre order and was curious as to when we expect to start shipping it will be at the end of May/start of June." <-- Directly from the email. I take that to mean that none have shipped yet, but that they intend to ship within the next week to 2 weeks.

May 26, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #975 of 1,582
I don't have the Atlas-Deltas but I do have the Masters and the Shure SE215. The masters are bad in isolation if you compare them to the 215's. But in terms of sound quality and flexibility, they're at a whole new level. A much significant upgrade, less hiss, more detailed representation, faster bass, bigger soundstage as well.

However IMO Master's lack the sub-bass as compared to the 215's. And are harder to drive, and is quite picky with the quality of your songs. That's my take.
Do they emphasize bass less? I like my bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back