TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Apr 7, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #13,697 of 24,683
A week ago I actually ordered the Icarus iii when I saw a special coupon for a good discount. One of the main reasons I decided to bite was the 2.5mm balanced cable which was to be included in addition to the 3.5mm unbalanced. When I saw folks here commenting that they had received phones without the balanced cables and that the website had been changed, I checked the Icarus iii order page and saw that it too had been changed. I was very sure I had see the description showing the two cables included and, in fact, just found a cached copy of that page showing this. When I wrote to enquire what was up I got a terse answer of "It was specified the customer would have to make an order for the balanced cable." from "Jake"

This is my reply. I am sorry if some people think this is just a minor issue, and maybe the deal is still overall very good, but for ME, with a new Onkyo dp-x1a that I like to use balanced, those 2.5mm INCLUDED cables are a big deal. Sounds like the same for a few other folks here. Maybe Trinity have a good rep overall here, my only order from them in the past was for Pono balanced cables and they were fine, but I really don't like this way of doing business. I hope that someone there can make this right. Changing the specs of an item between when it is ordered and when it is shipped just does not seem kosher to me.

my first email of enquiry:

I recently ordered the Icarus iii from you with a special discount code. One of the big selling points to me was that it was clearly described as coming with both 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm balanced cables. I mean to use these in balanced mode with my onkyo dp-x1a. 
Now I am reading on the head-fi forums that people are getting their earphones WITHOUT the promised balanced cable and checked and saw that the descriptions on the website have been changed AFTER THE FACT.
What is up with this? If I must separately buy another cable or have an adapter made, that is an extra expense I really do not care to make. I do not understand also when you are actually shipping these, either. I was looking forward to trying these interesting earphones,  but if you cannot honor your DESCRIPTION AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER to include both balanced and unbalanced cables, I would prefer a refund. I think you will find that other audiophiles are also perturbed by this move and it is not giving you good PR, for sure.
Please advise what you plan to do about this.
Thanks, 

to which the response was:

It was specified the customer would have to make an order for the balanced cable.

Regards

JAKE

my response to Jake:

Hello Jake,

I do not know where this was specified.

here is the cached copy of the product order page from a few days ago when I made the order.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8nkI-gfIj8oJ:https://www.trinityaudioengineering.com/products/copy-of-icarus-iii+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=it

I say again, please either say you will honor this description, as it was when I made the order, or refund my payment.

Either way, I will be checking in at head-fi about this.

I thought your company had a good rep re the audiophile community, but changing the specs of a product after an order is made and then blaming the customer, as you seem to try and do by saying "It was specified that the customer would have to make an order for the balanced cable." is not a way to build that reputation.

wow!

I hope you can do better than that.

regards,

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #13,698 of 24,683
  A week ago I actually ordered the Icarus iii when I saw a special coupon for a good discount. One of the main reasons I decided to bite was the 2.5mm balanced cable which was to be included in addition to the 3.5mm unbalanced. When I saw folks here commenting that they had received phones without the balanced cables and that the website had been changed, I checked the Icarus iii order page and saw that it too had been changed. I was very sure I had see the description showing the two cables included and, in fact, just found a cached copy of that page showing this. When I wrote to enquire what was up I got a terse answer of "It was specified the customer would have to make an order for the balanced cable." from "Jake"

This is my reply. I am sorry if some people think this is just a minor issue, and maybe the deal is still overall very good, but for ME, with a new Onkyo dp-x1a that I like to use balanced, those 2.5mm INCLUDED cables are a big deal. Sounds like the same for a few other folks here. Maybe Trinity have a good rep overall here, my only order from them in the past was for Pono balanced cables and they were fine, but I really don't like this way of doing business. I hope that someone there can make this right. Changing the specs of an item between when it is ordered and when it is shipped just does not seem kosher to me.

I recently ordered the Icarus iii from you with a special discount code. One of the big selling points to me was that it was clearly described as coming with both 3.5mm unbalanced and 2.5mm balanced cables. I mean to use these in balanced mode with my onkyo dp-x1a. 
Now I am reading on the head-fi forums that people are getting their earphones WITHOUT the promised balanced cable and checked and saw that the descriptions on the website have been changed AFTER THE FACT.
What is up with this? If I must separately buy another cable or have an adapter made, that is an extra expense I really do not care to make. I do not understand also when you are actually shipping these, either. I was looking forward to trying these interesting earphones,  but if you cannot honor your DESCRIPTION AT THE TIME OF THE ORDER to include both balanced and unbalanced cables, I would prefer a refund. I think you will find that other audiophiles are also perturbed by this move and it is not giving you good PR, for sure.
Thanks, 

It was specified the customer would have to make an order for the balanced cable.

Regards

JAKE

my response to Jake:

Hello Jake,

here is the cached copy of the product order page from a few days ago when I made the order.

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8nkI-gfIj8oJ:https://www.trinityaudioengineering.com/products/copy-of-icarus-iii+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=it

I say again, please either say you will honor this description, as it was when I made the order, or refund my payment.

I thought your company had a good rep re the audiophile community, but changing the specs of a product after an order is made and then blaming the customer, as you seem to try and do by saying "It was specified that the customer would have to make an order for the balanced cable." is not a way to build that reputation.

wow!

regards,

To be fair to Trinity, I would estimate that only a fraction of one percent of people would want the balanced cable. This seems like a terrible waste to send to all purchasers just to put in the bin. I'm sure if you want a balanced cable you could get one from Amazon for a few dollars, although knowing Trinity customer service they will likely just take the hit and send you one anyway.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #13,699 of 24,683

To be fair to Trinity, I would estimate that only a fraction of one percent of people would want the balanced cable. This seems like a terrible waste to send to all purchasers just to put in the bin. I'm sure if you want a balanced cable you could get one from Amazon for a few dollars, although knowing Trinity customer service they will likely just take the hit and send you one anyway.

It's strange to change things without notifying the buyers. A balanced cable is one of the selling points wether you actually need/want one or not. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #13,700 of 24,683
I'd be happy to! I'm at work at the moment, so won't be for a while yet, but can test a theory!

However, I'm not sure the hole is actually responsible for the specific issue I was having. I was using the silver filters, which have no hole, so can't be that. Someone please call me out on this if it's completely false logic, but here what I think was happening....

Due to me not managing to push the tip down far enough, the tip may have been distorting its shape in my ear canal, thus changing the sound. When I kept messing with it and got it all the way down, that distortion of the tip was no longer happening, so got the full effect of the sound.

When pushing the tips on, I have found that they like to 'grab' at a point and not go any further. If you can't see the flat end of the tip (nearest the body of the IEM) this is probably what has happened... keep forcing it on until it's over that second ridge and looks like it's all passed. Then try again.
For me, it was night and day between half way down and all the way down. Tinny vs full and rich.

Probably obvious to many, but maybe not others.
Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine yesterday and spent an hour with x7 am3 so far orange filters damped for me but realy havent experimented much ( just about too :grinning:) so could change ! Overall think they have a nice balance and excellent detail no sibilance to me so far...i have sabres which are nice but can have bright moment's
I was hoping for the balanced cable as i have am3 balanced module so a bit dissapointed but i have to say for what i paid ( discount code :grinning:) they are an absolute steal!

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #13,701 of 24,683
Well i recieved my masters yesterday , tried to post pics but not working ???? ( poss phone)
Not had a lot of time to mess with filters etc so first quick impressions are good :grinning:..
Small ears migjht find them too big though...my ears are smallish but are just about ok. But thats just a niggle.
I am wondering about the balanced cable ttgough was thete supposed to be one???? Also if an add on hoe does it work going from balanced jack to 3.5 jack ( i am new to this balanced thing so be gentle lol ) .

My small ears are finding them too big. I emailed Trinity for advice and was told to try the Spinfit tips. I've tried the extra small, and can't bear them for more than a few minutes as it hurts too much. It's just about bearable with the small memory foam tips, but they don't really fit properly.

From what I've heard so far, they sound great but the size could be a deal-breaker.

I've emailed Trinity for more advice, I'm hoping there may be some alternative tips which extend a bit further out so the filters don't actually enter the ear canal.

Has anyone else had issues with IEMs and small ear canals? I have to be very careful when removing IEMs that go deep into the ear canal, as I've had tips come off before, but this is the first time I couldn't physically get them into my ears. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #13,702 of 24,683
My small ears are finding them too big. I emailed Trinity for advice and was told to try the Spinfit tips. I've tried the extra small, and can't bear them for more than a few minutes as it hurts too much. It's just about bearable with the small memory foam tips, but they don't really fit properly.

From what I've heard so far, they sound great but the size could be a deal-breaker.

I've emailed Trinity for more advice, I'm hoping there may be some alternative tips which extend a bit further out so the filters don't actually enter the ear canal.

Has anyone else had issues with IEMs and small ear canals? I have to be very careful when removing IEMs that go deep into the ear canal, as I've had tips come off before, but this is the first time I couldn't physically get them into my ears. 

My ears are not big but i did find i was trying to put them to far in , if you look at the photos on the site the guys sit inside snugger than the girls ( mine are more like the girls fit ) and i used the standard medium tip and i have to say they do ( even though they are big for me) sit comfortably and dont fall out and im hearing bass/ sub bass so must be getting ok seal.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #13,703 of 24,683

Thanks, 

Regards

JAKE

my response to Jake:

Hello Jake,

wow!

regards,

The Master said the exact same thing as well.  @Bobtrinity mentioned when asked a balanced 2.5mm cable and a 2.5mm to 3.5mm balanced adapter would be included.  Hopefully he'll let us know what's going on with this because some people made this purchase based on his statement.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #13,705 of 24,683
Thanks! IMO, the gunmetal finish of the V1 looks way better. That shell seam is also more noticeable on the V2 than the V1 because of the finish; it's not that it's bigger because it isn't. Really nice to see the L/R colored strain reliefs have made a return! I always thought the cabling just wasn't right without those on the Sabre and PM4.

No problem but I hope you are happier when you receive yours. I really like the look, including the more noticeable shell seam; it just looks right somehow. I also am glad that they did not repeat the gunmetal as I already have one of those :p. I hope you shall be as happy with yours but each to their own :).

At first, I thought they didn't sound as good as my Vyrus 1's. They didn't sound as full and something didn't sound right. Then I realised something...

Ha! I had the same first impression but for a different reason. Mine was due to water in my ears as I had just washed my hair. A quick hold the nose and blow equalised my ear pressure and the lovely Vyrus sound was back :D.

Now I know most of you are a different audience, and you know about these things... but if you showed these to anyone else, and asked how much they thing they cost... there's no way they'd say £59!!!  (or less with the discount :wink: ) The packaging, the accessories, and finish, and obviously the SOUND.

I concur completely :). If for some hypothetical reason I was stuck with these as my only IEM I would be perfectly happy. Fortunately however that is not necessary :D.

For me... I slightly prefer the shape of the Vyrus 1, as the connector gave me a little more to grip on to when trying to shove them down my tiny ear canals. The lack of that bit just made them a little fiddly to put in (not much though, I'm just saying). The Vyrus 2 will definitely be more robust with the high quality cable (which feels REALLY nice BTW).

Yes, I was reminded of the Hyperion's when first fitting these. Some attention is required when inserting them so as not to strain the cable but once in the fit and comfort is still as nice as ever with the Vyrus. I too really like the cable. It is not as flexible as the original Vyrus cable but given the difficulties those cables gave me I was trade that reduced flexibility for improved durability very happily.

The ability to swap the cables on the Vyrus 1 did make them seem more premium - but if this comes at the expense of the durability, It's easy to see why this decision was made. The cable on the Vyrus 2 feels very high quality and not like a trade off at all.

Agreed; I prevaricated over ordering these for some time. "Why do I need to buy the V2 when I already have the original Vyrus? They're going to sound the same but just have a slightly different design." I am so glad that I did now that I have them though. One can never have too many IEMs! *cough*

The blocks of aluminium with the filters in look good for display purposes, but not as good for portability. Having said that... it's rare that ever take my Vyrus 1 filters with me to change them. It's a fair old block though! they could have saved some money and made it half the thickness! lol

I know! No-one could criticise them for skimping on the filter block! The tubes were cute but a pain to use so I'm glad they changed to these. If I ever decide to take extra filters with me if out and about they provide a case for that.

So, I have Vyrus 1 & 2's, and am waiting for the Master's to arrive (once they've been shipped). I've not decided what to do with one of my pairs of Vyrus's yet... keep the 2's for the Gym and out and about...give the 1's to my Dad.. Use the Masters for more serious listening... or just keep them all to myself!!!!

I've relegated my original Vyrus' to bed for bedtime listening. I would keep yours until a good use case presents itself whether a dedicated use like I have chosen or a particular person for whom these would be a good fit. Once they're gone they're gone!

I said this about the Vyrus 1's.. but if you're reading this and wondering if you should buy some or not.. just do it! They are fantastic little things, and will only be better if you have something to drive them. They sound great through my IPhone and Axon mini, and that's without driving!

Superb little things, with unbelievable sound for their size and price! Well worth the wait, and can't wait to listen to the Masters!! 

I absolutely agree :). I am listening to Radiohead's 'A Moon Shaped Pool' as I type this on my xDuoo X3 without any extra amping and it sounds great. They're just such a great, easy use, everyday, good sounding IEM. If I want to quickly grab something to listen to a podcast on my cellphone or some music on my D.A.P. without faffing about with an amp and for it to sound good and be really comfortable then they're my go to IEM.

How does the V2 sound to V1?especially with the long and short filters.....

Exactly the same to me but I'm not the one to ask when it comes to the technical analysis of audio. Someone else here shall have to provide that. Much of the technical verbiage used here is almost mumbo jumbo to me. I just know what sounds good to me :/. I haven't bothered with the filters at all yet, sorry. They come fitted with the gunmetal filters which is what I use 99% of the time on the original Vyrus so I haven't bothered with the others yet.

They look great. Just ordered mine.

Hand not included.

Please don't sue.

EDIT - apologies for the bad formatting; I shall try to improve it.

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #13,707 of 24,683
I decided to order myself a pair of Hyperions as they were on sale and I also used the 20% off headfi code and they have just arrived a day later. These things are sooooooooooo small and light, I will be able to use these when I go to sleep after using the Masters for the last 24 hours the Hyperions seem like a childs toy in comparison. If only we could get the sound of the Masters into the size of the Hyperions the world would be a perfect place
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #13,708 of 24,683

The fit In my small ears

I should add that from that angle they look more stuck out and from face on they look more flush.....they are comfortable and feel stable and secure even if they dont look it ! And asi said in earlier post im definitely getting good seal...so for me wirh my small ears there working for me :grinning:

Apr 7, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #13,710 of 24,683
I decided to order myself a pair of Hyperions as they were on sale and I also used the 20% off headfi code and they have just arrived a day later. These things are sooooooooooo small and light, I will be able to use these when I go to sleep after using the Masters for the last 24 hours the Hyperions seem like a childs toy in comparison. If only we could get the sound of the Masters into the size of the Hyperions the world would be a perfect place:)

Haha i agree i have sabre and there like not even there! But obviously master sounds much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back