TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Nov 20, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #8,101 of 24,683
Has everyone who preordered PM4 got the shipping notification??
I haven't got them yet:frowning2:

A bunch of us just got them in the past 12 hours and they may be working on them and get the rest up soon.

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #8,104 of 24,683
I have Next Day Delivery. So I may get it by Tuesday.

I have regular(Priority Mail) and it says Monday for me in NY 11416 :)

I have an x1 and e12a but mostly use my x5ii now. I have to say the pm4s really show up the improvement in the x5ii over the x1. So much so i think its time to sell mine on and the e12a. I cant sew myself using the x1 again. Possibly get a cowon m2 or p1 instead.

I should be able to tell you about the M2 combo. Don't miss the X1 though the bass was fine using LO but a bit subpar from HO. In theory should be better than the X1 and won't quite match the X5II but when one of those sound setting synergizes you never know. Probably need to amp to shine as the power isn't great but I need the radio so the M2 is what I have. Seems you can't have an "audiophile" device and FM radio
rolleyes.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #8,105 of 24,683
Hi,

Have tested all the filters now, my favourite has to be the dampened gold. I'm using the Kombi tips.

I mainly listen to a range of Trance, with some rock, pop and small amounts of other genres tossed in.

They are well suited for Trance, the bass hits deep and hard enough, whilst retaining impressive instrumental clarity and separation. Female vocals are enveloping and luscious.

Standout tracks for me
Sia - Breathe Me
Armin van Buuren with Gabriel & Dresden - Zocalo
Armin van Buuren - Intense
Dash Berlin ft Emma Hewitt - Waiting
Lost Tribe - Gamemaster
BT - Force of Gravity
Paul Webster ft Angelic Amanda - Time (Sean Tyas Remix)
Oceanlab - Breaking Ties
Enigma - Return to Innocence
Thunderstone - Land of Innocence
Evanescence - Hello
Shawn Mullins - Lullaby
Illitheas - Last Forever

There's lots more but should give you something to go off :)

Finally - another Shawn Mullins appreciator on here. Away for the weekend and just grabbing some time with the PM4s and "Soul's Core" while the other half is relaxing in the hotel room. Settled on damped gunmetal and Spinfit and the sharpness seems to be receding in my brain - great clear sound with well ripped files. Still won't have any real time with these for another few weeks until I've finished listening to my pile of Campfire Audio gear, but think these could find a definite niche in my listening collection.

Nov 20, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #8,107 of 24,683
Finally - another Shawn Mullins appreciator on here. Away for the weekend and just grabbing some time with the PM4s and "Soul's Core" while the other half is relaxing in the hotel room.

I think we may have had this discussion before, but I'm also a UK based Shawn Mullins fan!
beerchug.gif

Coincidentally, I listened to "Twin Rocks, Oregon" just last night, also still on the damped gunmetal. Sounded beautiful.
I recommend stuff from early albums Eggshells and The First Ten Years ("Pandora's Box", "Ruth and Mary", "Where's Jonny", "Darby's Castle", "Drumming Clown", "For Shari" etc etc etc and "Tinseltown" from his most recent album" - as well as of course many tracks from Souls Core and other albums. How about you; do you know/love these? Any others you can recommend? :)
I warned you I was an appreciator
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #8,109 of 24,683
Settled on damped gunmetal and Spinfit and the sharpness seems to be receding in my brain - great clear sound with well ripped files.

I thought the sharpness was receding on Friday; I thought maybe I'd reached an initial stage of burn-in (only 5 hours or so, so probably not lol).
Then the next day, on different tracks, it was there again. And the gunmetal is a damped filter, so that's discouraging.
Note that it was only on certain tracks, with certain aspects of those tracks. Other tracks sounded divine
beyersmile.png

Just to stress though; I'm still reasonably confident the sound will change after 20-50 hours of (brain?) burn-in.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect I'm extremely treble sensitive; probably within a limited range, so most people (by way of reassurance!) should never have any such issues with the PM4!

Anyone know an online/app test I could use to test my hearing, particularly for sensitivities or deficiencies? I have iPhone and a Windows 10 based laptop.
Thanks
normal_smile .gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #8,111 of 24,683
I thought the sharpness was receding on Friday; I thought maybe I'd reached an initial stage of burn-in (only 5 hours or so, so probably not lol).
Then the next day, on different tracks, it was there again. And the gunmetal is a damped filter, so that's discouraging.
Note that it was only on certain tracks, with certain aspects of those tracks. Other tracks sounded divine :beyersmile:

Just to stress though; I'm still reasonably confident the sound will change after 20-50 hours of (brain?) burn-in.

Also, I'm beginning to suspect I'm extremely treble sensitive; probably within a limited range, so most people (by way of reassurance!) should never have any such issues with the PM4!

Anyone know an online/app test I could use to test my hearing, particularly for sensitivities or deficiencies? I have iPhone and a Windows 10 based laptop.
Thanks
normal_smile%20.gif

What tracks do you not sensitivity to the treble? Have you tried the gold dampened filters?

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #8,112 of 24,683
@bobtrinity

I asked about burn-in and what you recommended. Thank you for the answer to run 20hrs of what I like

So is " burn-in" really just playing time to allow the drivers to flex a bit till they "breakin"??

I guess I'm confused, as it seems that they need to be used a bit to get full functioning( if I'm making any sense).

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #8,113 of 24,683
Random question for people in this thread.

My current pair of IEMs use the Shure Olives as tips, which I absolutely love. Are there any tips similar to the Shure Olives that fit the PM4? As it's my understanding that Shure Olives won't fit on the PM4.

Nov 20, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #8,115 of 24,683
@bobtrinity

I asked about burn-in and what you recommended. Thank you for the answer to run 20hrs of what I like

So is " burn-in" really just playing time to allow the drivers to flex a bit till they "breakin"??

I guess I'm confused, as it seems that they need to be used a bit to get full functioning( if I'm making any sense).

That is the idea of burn-in yeah. The idea is that playing music - or sometimes pink or white noise - rather loudly will loosen up the drivers a bit hereby changing the sound. Usually people report slightly less bright highs and more or deeper hitting bass.

But I've also seen the opposite being claimed. Objective proof is hard to find, so it might just be your brain adjusting/placebo if you're asking some of the more sceptical people on this forum (myself included). But let's not get into that discussion. It can't hurt at any rate.

EDIT: by the way, if you want people to get a notification if you tag them ('@someone') you should not just put the @ there, but actually click on the name you want to link to in the white box that appears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back