TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Nov 20, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #8,116 of 24,683
Random question for people in this thread.

My current pair of IEMs use the Shure Olives as tips, which I absolutely love. Are there any tips similar to the Shure Olives that fit the PM4? As it's my understanding that Shure Olives won't fit on the PM4.

Yes, that's a problem, and no, I don't know of something similar, after searching in lots of places. The problem, you know, is that Shure olives or Westone True-Fit have an inner diameter of 2.5-3mm, while, currently, the majority of brands use 5mm tubes. With Klipsch oval you can adjust to longer tubes, because they are made from very elastic silicone, but it is not the case with True-Fit (the ones I tried), where the inner core doesn't have much flexibility. I think you like the denser foam of these models.

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #8,117 of 24,683
That is the idea of burn-in yeah. The idea is that playing music - or sometimes pink or white noise - rather loudly will loosen up the drivers a bit hereby changing the sound. Usually people report slightly less bright highs and more or deeper hitting bass.

But I've also seen the opposite being claimed. Objective proof is hard to find, so it might just be your brain adjusting/placebo if you're asking some of the more sceptical people on this forum (myself included). But let's not get into that discussion. It can't hurt at any rate.

EDIT: by the way, if you want people to get a notification if you tag them ('@someone') you should not just put the @ there, but actually click on the name you want to link to in the white box that appears.

I'm not sure why I did the @ BobTrinity again as I've heard that doesn't really do anything, my apologies.

I should've just requoted the post.

I've done burning before and I never really believed it made any difference outside of it just using the headphones for a while which Just delayed me from using them and enjoying them while they were burning in.

I probably won't do anything but listen to them and enjoy them and not worry about that

Nov 20, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #8,118 of 24,683
The Bjaardker Burn-in Method:

1) Put the headphones in your ears and listen to them. If they sound good, enjoy. If you don't like the way they sound, skip to step 2.

2) For the first week, whenever you're not listening, attach them to a computer and play http://bassdrive.com at a volume just over your usual listening level.

3) If after a week you still dont like the way they sound, its time to look for different headphones.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #8,119 of 24,683
Question ..umm why don't we have undampened gunmetal filters . I like the gunmetal filters  that comes with the pm4 but the treble is too smooth for my liking . It has the right amount of bass and mid but smoothed treble kills it for me .

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #8,120 of 24,683
Yes, that's a problem, and no, I don't know of something similar, after searching in lots of places. The problem, you know, is that Shure olives or Westone True-Fit have an inner diameter of 2.5-3mm, while, currently, the majority of brands use 5mm tubes. With Klipsch oval you can adjust to longer tubes, because they are made from very elastic silicone, but it is not the case with True-Fit (the ones I tried), where the inner core doesn't have much flexibility. I think you like the denser foam of these models.

I love olive and westone foam tips that's why I removed the tube that is attached to the tips. Voila now it fits most of my standard bore iems

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #8,121 of 24,683
  Question ..umm why don't we have undampened gunmetal filters . I like the gunmetal filters  that comes with the pm4 but the treble is too smooth for my liking . It has the right amount of bass and mid but smoothed treble kills it for me .

From another London resisdent; exactly the point I was making. While I have (so far, without burn-in) found them occasionally sharp, quodjo105 with the same filter, finds them too smooth!
So a good reminder for those without PM4's yet to remember that all reviews and comments - whilst helpful and greatly appreciated - are subjectively filtered through different tastes and anatomies. As ever, if at all possible, try before you buy.
And if you can't do that, at least buy at a whopping pre-order discount
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #8,122 of 24,683
I think we may have had this discussion before, but I'm also a UK based Shawn Mullins fan! :beerchug:
Coincidentally, I listened to "Twin Rocks, Oregon" just last night, also still on the damped gunmetal. Sounded beautiful.
I recommend stuff from early albums Eggshells and The First Ten Years ("Pandora's Box", "Ruth and Mary", "Where's Jonny", "Darby's Castle", "Drumming Clown", "For Shari" etc etc etc and "Tinseltown" from his most recent album" - as well as of course many tracks from Souls Core and other albums. How about you; do you know/love these? Any others you can recommend? :)
I warned you I was an appreciator :tongue_smile:

I'm only just rediscovering him, so Soul's Core is the only album I've heard so far. I owned it when it first came out but lost it on a burglary a few years later along with almost my entire music collection - saw the CD a few months back in the window of my local charity shop so picked it up for a blast of nostalgia and have been really enjoying it - planning on grabbing the rest of his back catalogue at some point over the next few months so thanks for the pointers!

If you like Shawn Mullins, you might want to check out the latest Foy Vance album if he's not on your radar. The texture of both their voices sounds great through the PM4 (spurious link to keep this comment vaguely on-topic - it is true though).

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8,123 of 24,683
What tracks do you not sensitivity to the treble? Have you tried the gold dampened filters?

I was hoping no one would ask me that; I've completely forgotten
redface.gif

I think it was mainly on rock tracks with a lot of cymbals and snares and.. well.. I'm really not sure.
I think "Spicy McHaggis" by the Dropkick Murphys, "Boom" by P.O.D, ...?
Wait... I'm going to go and listen some more (any excuse lol).
Will report back soon
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #8,124 of 24,683
I'm only just rediscovering him, so Soul's Core is the only album I've heard so far. I owned it when it first came out but lost it on a burglary a few years later along with almost my entire music collection - saw the CD a few months back in the window of my local charity shop so picked it up for a blast of nostalgia and have been really enjoying it - planning on grabbing the rest of his back catalogue at some point over the next few months so thanks for the pointers!

If you like Shawn Mullins, you might want to check out the latest Foy Vance album if he's not on your radar. The texture of both their voices sounds great through the PM4 (spurious link to keep this comment vaguely on-topic - it is true though).

Great artist!  Thanks for the suggestions.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #8,126 of 24,683
What tracks do you not sensitivity to the treble? Have you tried the gold dampened filters?

Oops, forgot to reply to the last part.
I have only tried the gunmetal (damped by default).
I plan to listen to these exclusively for the first two weeks (if I can hold out that long lol).
The idea being to keep a consistent standard from which to determine if any change occurs with burn-in.
And then to have, again, a consistent and well-known (to me) reference point to which I can compare the other filters later.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #8,128 of 24,683
What tracks do you note sensitivity to the treble? Have you tried the gold dampened filters?

Ok, playing through some random tracks from an 'up-tempo' playlist
(Disclaimer: and hence only partially representative of my very broad taste in music. May contain tracks you find repellent) 
tongue_smile.gif

NB: All tracks are (to my knowledge) decent quality FLAC files.
Apologies for the lengthy, stream of consciousness post!

Fine, no issues (or very minor issues):
Queen - I want it all
Hanson - Fired Up (from the live CD of their 'Anthem' tour). As a quick aside, if you thought Hanson were a twee one hit wonder, listen to this CD. Awesome talented multi-instrumental family band.
James - Nothing but love (see comment regarding assumed one hit wonders above, LOL)
Club 8 - I'm not gonna grow old
James - Sometimes (Lester Piggott)
REM - Daysleeper
Beastie Boys - Sabotage
Chevelle - Point #1]
Fountains of Wayne - Radiation Vibe (see again one hit wonder comment. Album after album of quality songwriting and musicianship)
Fountains of Wayne - Cemetery Guns
Billy Joel - Uptown Girl
Eminem - So Bad
Morrissey - Interesting Drug
Blackstreet - No Diggity
The Black Crowes - She talks to angels
The Offspring - Why don't you get a job?
Paul Simon - The Coast
Jewel - Life Uncommon
The Sundays - Monochrome
The Darkness - Love is not the answer (acoustic bonus track version)
Panjabi MC - Mundian to bach ke
Blackberry Smoke - Shakin' hands with the Holy Ghost
ABBA - Dancing Queen
Pearl Jam - Future Days
Eminem (& others) Detroit vs Everybody
Lighthouse Family - Ocean Drive
Deacon Blue - Cover from the sky
Joan Armatrading - The weakness in me
Band of Brothers - main theme from the OST
Cameo - Word Up
Friends - Jasmine Thompson (this song is irresistibly uplifting and amazing. Written and performed by a 13 year old. Belongs on the closing soundtrack to a feel-good movie)
Tori Amos - Pretty Good Year
Royksopp - Monument (discovered this song from another Head-Fier's post!)
Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
The Divine Comedy - Bath
Meatloaf - All revved up (with no place to go)
Naughty By Nature - Yoke The Joker

A bit sharp or uncomfortable (for me) at times:
Feeder - Buck Rogers
Taylor Swift - Hey Stephen (fine at the start, but as her voice goes higher, on the PM4 at present, it makes me wince a bit. No offense to Ms Swift lol)
Biffy Clyro - Many of Horror (fine for the first two verses, then combo of everything all at once)
Black Stone Cherry - Backwoods Gold (combo of 'wall of noise' guitar, cymbal/high hat and wah wah or similar effect)
Mongrel - Hit from the morning sun (high percussion and high synth sound)

Dropkick Murphys - Fields of Athenry (seems to be the combo of high bagpipes and forward drums/percussion along with 'wall of noise' guitars)
Aaliyah - Try Again (just a particular part of the percussion; a kind of synth version of hitting a drumstick against the metal rim of a drum)
Counting Crows - Hard Candy (high guitar twangs, percussion, overall complexity)
Complete - SNSD/Girls Generation (last bit when it goes up an octave)
DBSK - Keep your head down (KPop - high synth stuff)

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #8,129 of 24,683
I thought it would be helpful to post tracks that played fine as well as those on which I experience 'sharpness', in order to give representative and informative feedback.
Note that it was a relatively small proportion of tracks I listened to that gave me any discomfort, and that was from a specific few genres.

If I used my 'relaxing' playlist (acoustic music, classical, jazz, easy listening etc), the proportion of songs causing discomfort falls to approximately zero
beyersmile.png

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #8,130 of 24,683
  I thought it would be helpful to post tracks that played fine as well as those on which I experience 'sharpness', in order to give representative and informative feedback.
Note that it was a relatively small proportion of tracks I listened to that gave me any discomfort, and that was from a specific few genres.

If I used my 'relaxing' playlist (acoustic music, classical, jazz, easy listening etc), the proportion of songs causing discomfort falls to approximately zero
beyersmile.png

And, just to mention, those tracks sound amazing on the PM4
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back