TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Sep 7, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #5,810 of 24,683
How much will the silver cables improve the PM4?
Is it better to get that with the PM4 or get the PM6?

Thanks

Since you're asking questions regarding none existing products all the opinions are pure speculations and pointless ( why do we want to change the skin pattern on a Unicorn? ).
Please wait until they come out and get some decent reviews.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #5,811 of 24,683
Since you're asking questions regarding none existing products all the opinions are pure speculations and pointless ( why do we want to change the skin pattern on a Unicorn? ).
Please wait until they come out and get some decent reviews.

But there is such a thing as silver litz cables!

So to rephrase the question how much do expensive cables improve the sound of an iem?

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #5,813 of 24,683

So to rephrase the question how much do expensive cables improve the sound of an iem?

Yes there are silver cables but you can't attach them to the PM4 or PM6 (as of today). That's why no point to discuss that question.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #5,814 of 24,683

I duno about expensive cables but differrent cable metals make sound differrent, the occ silver plated makes cleaner audio but if you will like it to copper cable I duno

some buy four strand copper four strand silver cable etc, it's like buying an iem, you don't know unless you buy it or use it in shop lend it etc

buy it and see if you like it if not sell etc

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #5,815 of 24,683
I duno about expensive cables but differrent cable metals make sound differrent, the occ silver plated makes cleaner audio but if you will like it to copper cable I duno

some buy four strand copper four strand silver cable etc, it's like buying an iem, you don't know unless you buy it or use it in shop lend it etc

buy it and see if you like it if not sell etc

It depends on the drivers used, and their impedance curve.  There is no magic, and you can't generally say something like copper makes it warmer or silver makes it brighter.  Those are generally people who rely on subjective testing without volume matching.  I should know - I've tested quite a few now.

Generally speaking:
  1. If you have dynamic drivers with a very flat impedance response - different material cables will have no effect on sonics.  If the cables have different impedance, then it can affect volume.  This is often mistaken (by people who do not volume match) as changing the actual sonic effect / frequency curve.  However, even some dynamics can have a humped impedance curve and can be affected.

2. If you have BA drivers - they either may or may not change - and again depends on the impedance curve of the drivers and how susceptible they are to change with output impedance - combined with the change in impedance of the cable itself.

Example - My Adel U6 does have an impedance curve which is not ruler flat - so changes in impedance can alter the frequency curve.  If I flick in an adapter (75 ohm) to increase impedance, the frequency curve will change - but that impedance needs to change by 10-15 ohms + in order to become really audible.

This makes it a little funny when a lot of cables will only change impedance less than a couple of ohms.

My advice - buy a cable for looks, for maleability / overall quality, for better fit, or for superior connectors.  If you're buying it for better sound, and you're objective about testing - you're likely to find that the differences generally talked about are extremely small, or not present.

Just my observations from testing quite a few (both objectively [measuring] and subjectively [listening]).  But I always volume match & I think sadly that this is something few people do.

Sep 7, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #5,816 of 24,683
To further qualify though - I'm still interested in getting the Trinity silver.  Why?  Because it looks great, [hopefully] should be light flexible and non-microphonic, and will likely fit my U6. For the looks, fit and lack of microphonics - it might be a purchase which is worth it.  I would have also bought the ALO Litz earlier if it came in 2 pin.  Its another great performing cable.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #5,818 of 24,683
FWIW I bought the Pinnacle P1 cable for one of my Chinese IEMs. Upon listening the center of music became dead, sound sweeping left to right just stopped silent in the middle then continued. I guess the cable didn't like the BAs

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #5,819 of 24,683
  Thanks for the very nice explanation, Brooko!

One question though, how do I volume match?

You can do it through the use of a multi-meter and measuring output - but I just use a proper SPL meter and a coupling tube.  Use test tones, and generally I volume match at around 1-2 kHz (adjust volume until both are showing same SPL)

FWIW I bought the Pinnacle P1 cable for one of my Chinese IEMs. Upon listening the center of music became dead, sound sweeping left to right just stopped silent in the middle then continued. I guess the cable didn't like the BAs

P1 cable has a higher impedance than other hybrid cables I've tested.  Measuring with the P1 itself, and other cables were generally 2.2 dB higher in volume.  Frequency graphs matched exactly - just higher impedance.  Would eb interesting to measure the effect (if any) on your BAs - or if it was purely volume change you were hearing. 

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #5,820 of 24,683
You can do it through the use of a multi-meter and measuring output - but I just use a proper SPL meter and a coupling tube.  Use test tones, and generally I volume match at around 1-2 kHz (adjust volume until both are showing same SPL)

P1 cable has a higher impedance than other hybrid cables I've tested.  Measuring with the P1 itself, and other cables were generally 2.2 dB higher in volume.  Frequency graphs matched exactly - just higher impedance.  Would eb interesting to measure the effect (if any) on your BAs - or if it was purely volume change you were hearing. 

Returned the cable asap. The dead center of audio doesn't seem like a volume issue though right? Was super weird to hear. Yeah that's what other members said about the cable, which is why it may have been messing with the BAs. I have a 4 core cable from AE on the way, will see how that does with the same IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back