TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Mar 17, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #11,896 of 24,683
Well at some point a long time ago, Bob did say their cable offerings were gonna be made in-house, so I'm not surprised they look DIY. I do wish they used nicer-looking 2-pin connectors though.

Given the price I would expect better quality appearance

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #11,899 of 24,683

How much were they again, like $100ish? I mean, I've seen other cables that use those same parts (jack, y-split) and cost just as much while also looking not that different. Sure, something like this would cost much less if you bought the parts yourself and assembled them, but that's kind of the point of buying them from someone else; it's the convenience/labor fee. The letdown for me would definitely be the 2-pin connectors though because they are the most basic DIY ones available. I'd rather trade nicer-looking 2-pin connectors to get rid of the super bulky y-split.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #11,900 of 24,683

I agree.  The Y- splitter, and plugs can all be had for around $7 from china.  Those things are all over ebay and aliexpress.  I have the exact same ones for my $20 DIY cables... Hopefully they at least used good quality litz wire.  

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #11,901 of 24,683
I think about printing an adapter to properly protect the connection with PM4.
Not sure the printer will be able to be precise enough though... I am definitely not planning on leaving it on PM4 forever, but as long as it is, i don't want to risk breaking off the pins.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #11,903 of 24,683

I also agree, not a good sign of things to come.

Well, don't get me wrong, good litz wire is not cheap... but that 2.5mm jack is, and those do wear out.  

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #11,906 of 24,683
  I agree.  The Y- splitter, and plugs can all be had for around $7 from china.  Those things are all over ebay and aliexpress.  I have the exact same ones for my $20 DIY cables... Hopefully they at least used good quality litz wire.  

The hope is that the money was sunk into the litz wire. But the convenience/labor markup is also gonna be considerably higher than the manufacturers based in China as well. To be honest, not my favorite collection of parts. I don't like how bulky the jack and y-split are and those certainly are the most basic generic 2-pin connectors you can buy.

I think about printing an adapter to properly protect the connection with PM4.
Not sure the printer will be able to be precise enough though... I am definitely not planning on leaving it on PM4 forever, but as long as it is, i don't want to risk breaking off the pins.

How do you think they're making these sorta things now? Because I feel like anyone making this sorta thing would either be 3D printing as well or injection molding, in which case, it can't be that much less precise if the baseline is injection molding, right? I guess maybe it depends on what 3D printer you're using.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #11,907 of 24,683
  The hope is that the money was sunk into the litz wire. But the convenience/labor markup is also gonna be considerably higher than the manufacturers based in China as well. To be honest, not my favorite collection of parts. I don't like how bulky the jack and y-split are and those certainly are the most basic generic 2-pin connectors you can buy.

That is also one of the cheapest balanced jacks you can buy.  I think I paid $2 each for them.  TBF it is hard to find decent quality 4 pole balanced jacks.  I really wish Viablue would make a 2.5mm TRRS.  But yeah they may not be making much profit off those once you add in labor depending on the cable used.  I'd rather pay $10 more for a cable with better quality connectors though...

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #11,909 of 24,683
I just find this hard to believe we have not 1 report of someone receiving theirs yet. There are people in this thread in the UK who ordered the same day as myself (6/28/16) and not received theirs. Which can only mean they did not start shipping 3 weeks ago like they said as that person would have received theirs already. 
Not upset; I can wait, I just don't think the story adds up is all. 

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #11,910 of 24,683

That is also one of the cheapest balanced jacks you can buy.  I think I paid $2 each for them.  TBF it is hard to find decent quality 4 pole balanced jacks.  I really wish Viablue would make a 2.5mm TRRS.  But yeah they may not be making much profit off those once you add in labor depending on the cable used.  I'd rather pay $10 more for a cable with better quality connectors though...

I thought Viablue did, but I looked and it's actually just a standard 2.5mm stereo jack and not a balanced one. They make a nice connector.

With you though, add the extra material cost for nicer connectors. While the wiring contributes to how nice the cable is, I feel like the connectors and y-split make the difference in whether or not the cable feels like it's worth the money from a build standpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back