TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 12, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #2,597 of 24,683
We have found back in the past that right angle is actually more prone to failure than straight. Especially when used on a phone in your pocket.

I think right-angle is always better, it prevents damage to the port on your phone/player and I've never found a right-angled jack irksome to use on a desktop device or amp or anything.

Though this...

...has been done already. Later, after things calm down and Bob is looking for a little project maybe
wink_face.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,598 of 24,683
that's a nice jack, but it's flimsy though

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #2,600 of 24,683
that's a nice jack, but it's flimsy though

Well not really the point because Bob would come up with his take on the idea and it wouldn't be that one nor be flimsy or he would probably drop it if he couldn't make one up to his durability standards.
tongue.gif

I had that one and it wasn't really flimsy being mostly metal but it wasn't done right as far as relief was concerned. Fine for everyday use as most people choose what they need and are done with it. Bob would probably come up with some sort of cap lock that you take out choose then lock it in with one of two metal caps that snap on, RA cap and straight cap then the hinge underneath is capped off and protected. Or some such idea.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,601 of 24,683

We have found back in the past that right angle is actually more prone to failure than straight. Especially when used on a phone in your pocket.

I think right-angle is always better, it prevents damage to the port on your phone/player and I've never found a right-angled jack irksome to use on a desktop device or amp or anything.

Though this...

...has been done already. Later, after things calm down and Bob is looking for a little project maybe
wink_face.gif

The Atlas came with a right angle adapter. I think Bob should just keep including this adapter. There is nothing more to do really.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,603 of 24,683
I really like BOB's earphone jack.  the aesthetics are the best i have ever seen and it functions better than the right angle ones i have had because of that spring stress relief.  I would miss it if he made it a native angled jack.

it's perfect for my fiio x1 with both native and adapter.  
biggrin.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #2,604 of 24,683
  I really like BOB's earphone jack.  the aesthetics are the best i have ever seen and it functions better than the right angle ones i have had because of that spring stress relief.  I would miss it if he made it a native angled jack.

biggrin.gif

I haven't seen a better straight jack yet, though I would prefer a spring-relieved right angle version. But he knows what he's doing and I trust his judgement so I'll happily live with a straight jack. The way he builds his stuff, it feels like I could probably throw it at a wall and make a hole in the plaster layer.

Jun 12, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #2,605 of 24,683

biggrin.gif

Ditto 
wink.gif

I haven't seen a better straight jack yet, though I would prefer a spring-relieved right angle version. But he knows what he's doing and I trust his judgement so I'll happily live with a straight jack. The way he builds his stuff, it feels like I could probably throw it at a wall and make a hole in the plaster layer.

I think the negative thing about a native right angle jack is that you can't make a straight one out of it. With the native straight one you can still turn it into an right angle one with the adapter 
redface.gif

This way Bob offers more liberty of choice, but i understand why some want a native right angle 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #2,606 of 24,683

Ditto 
wink.gif

I think the negative thing about a native right angle jack is that you can't make a straight one out of it. With the native straight one you can still turn it into an right angle one with the adapter 
redface.gif

This way Bob offers more liberty of choice, but i understand why some want a native right angle 
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, that versatility is very nice and if we know anything about Bob, the man likes versatility. Straight vs. right-angle is never a make-or-break factor if it's well-relieved. I like the concept of that Sennheiser plug where you could change the angle, but it's bulky and not well-relieved in the slightest either. And at the same time, doing something like that just feels really complicated, so why do that when you could just do what Bob does and add a right angle adapter? Some things are just better if they're done simpler.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,608 of 24,683
Nice idea, I like it! So the current color choices are gunmetal and heat-treated titanium. Does that mean the special color for this first year's batch is heat-treated titanium?

This year's colours are heat treated titanium and gunmetal :D , that's not to say another year we won't offer gunmetal but the build material will be different. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back