TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #24,647 of 24,683
Hi all.
I am one of the lucky ones that get a pair of Icarus IIIs and have loved them, but sadly I now have to replace them..... lost. The question is what on earth with ? Any suggestions please ?
Head over to the Best sub $100 thread and post your question there. You might want to give an idea of your budget and musical preferences. This thread isn't very active right now.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #24,648 of 24,683
Hi all.
I am one of the lucky ones that get a pair of Icarus IIIs and have loved them, but sadly I now have to replace them..... lost. The question is what on earth with ? Any suggestions please ?

Nim’s right, low activity here and believe me you will probably get too many suggestions. I hate that you lost your Icarus III (it’s my fave TA and I have/had a few)! They probably sold their last few pairs but at one point Penon still had them posted at around $139. You might consider the IMR R2 Aten, you can get a few filter matches to the Icarus with those :thinking:

As mentioned I have had a rather large TA collection before!

Trinity Tribute - The Bob.JPG

Actually still have a few plus Bob's IMR sweeties :wink:

Bob “T” Party.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #24,650 of 24,683
The handy thing is I will be replacing them with an insurance claim. So budget is not really relevant, what I am after is something with similar sound.

What is it about their sound that it is so "irreplaceable" ?

I think I own the Icarus III (if I am not mistaken), as well as the Master ( the one that came with carbon faceplates as a default), and, while many have described the Master sounding more detailed and clinical, I prefer its sound over the Icarus III.

Both IEMs are fine in their own right, but there are soooo many chi-fi IEMs at the market, even one custom model...
The times have moved on and with the explosion of the IEM offers at the market - during and since the time of the Icarus III, it sounds highly unlikely to me that you cannot find even better sounding (even custom) IEMs with detachable cable.

Here is the example:

https://primeaudio.org/thieaudio-legacy-3-custom-review/

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #24,651 of 24,683
Thanks Sejsel, that is exactly what I am after, I am not under any illusion that they cannot be bettered with more modern models, I am just after some direction on where to look. As you say the choice is baffling. But I would rather pay up and avoid chi-fi.

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #24,652 of 24,683
Thanks Sejsel, that is exactly what I am after, I am not under any illusion that they cannot be bettered with more modern models, I am just after some direction on where to look. As you say the choice is baffling. But I would rather pay up and avoid chi-fi.

It has been well established, throughout this thread, and from reliable sources, that the Trinity is in essence chi-fi, the work is, according to sources, done in chi while it was fronted otherwise.

No pun intended, at all, with my previous post, just doubting that you can go wrong today if being diligent and looking to test any IEM until you get what you are satisfied with.

I would not go into detail with the way Icarus and Master were made, I've seen enough evidence that was rather telling.

I understand that you are looking for well sounding IEMs without a major bill to it, but... even some - well serious mid- and hi-fi components - from well respected and known companies are perhaps designed domestically, but produced in China altogether, also well known. Other than that, the price tag can be usually higher.
Nothing wrong with chi-fi, when the stuff is well designed and qc is ok.

To me, as IEMs, for the price, not much was wrong with either Master or Icarus III (even if I am fully aware that there are better IEMs), i own both and was/am enjoying both.

What this company did after and even during that period, well, much has been said about that, so no need to repeat all of that.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 4:49 AM Post #24,654 of 24,683
Thx Sejsel. I guess what I was hoping for were some specific suggestions because the choice and variety is so huge its a daunting task to start from scratch having not looked at a pair of IEMs for a few years. I guess I can do some 'best of' searches and take it from there. I don't doubt the quality of some of the chi fi, I just feel an obligation to help more local manufacturers at their time of need.
Cazone... I also was a victim, but its not the first or last time I've been ripped off in the corporate world, you soon realize the system supports business not the individual. My experience of En Primeur wine was far worse and the building industry is riddled with examples. Buyer beware is still a very valid approach.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #24,655 of 24,683
I wish I'd found this thread sooner, before I decided to get IMR EDP.
Now I'll be worried if I ever get it or if I actually get what I paid for.

Jul 4, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #24,656 of 24,683
In fairness, bob seems to be much better at actually delivering the imr stuff he is making.

However, he definitely seems to be following some of the same patterns and same crappy marketing practices. Everything is small batch and super limited editions to get people interested (that whole fomo thing) and everything is sold at "awesome" preorder discounts (even though since they are limited, they will never be sold anyways at his "normal" price he sets). And it seems like he is using these preorders to fund current development.

Again though, I have been following those threads, and even though it seems like every product he makes is delayed past the dates he sets, it does seem like he is delivering. So, you should get what you paid for, even though it will likely be later than was advertised.

I personally will never buy anything from him though as I was a previous Trinity customer and it was not a good experience.

Jul 4, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #24,657 of 24,683

You'll get it fine. Trinity was more than just Bob.

Jul 4, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #24,659 of 24,683
Oh, really?

The truth regarding both is actually directly the opposite from what you are implying.
Depends on what you regards as truth and not assumption.
Anyway no point dragging it all back up.
There have been no issues with IMR.

Jul 4, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #24,660 of 24,683
Depends on what you regards as truth and not assumption.
Anyway no point dragging it all back up.
There have been no issues with IMR.

No, it depends entirely on raw and dry facts, not on "what you regard as truth and assumptions", or anyone else for that matter.
So you can continue hyping IMR up, or to be milder, putting the whole ordeal in positive or neutral light on the belonging thread, thank you.

And there is a huge point in "dragging it all back up", since you have brought the matter on the table (by your previous comment).

Enough people that got their money stolen from Bob&co. (the team) to believe in a single letter you try to push through here.

I have received mail from people, with documents that point out more than clearly to the exact opposite of your earlier claim, so please, the IMR thread might be more of your territory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back