TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #18,256 of 24,683
Jun 8, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #18,257 of 24,683
Mind you, forgive me for thinking aloud , I was expecting more feedback in the way of official Head fi reviews for Trinity's latest offerings :~ie Masters and PM6s and Hunters . I know the wait has been excruciating with unexpected delays and problems for the everyone but I was hoping for some Earphone Supremus to lay down their official impressions for those who are still waiting and the rest of the community.

To echo @Midgetguy above, I have the Master, and am waiting on the PM6:
I plan to do full reviews of the Master and the Noble Audio wizard Katana in the next couple of weeks, and the PM6 I guess around a month from now, depending on how long it takes me to receive it and burn it in..

I'm also waiting on the new Shozy Alien+ DAP, which I think is going to bring out the best in all these IEM's (low output impedance, lots of power).

So I'm kind of holding back until I receive the Alien+, as I don't feel that my current DAP (xDuoo X3), whilst decent enough, is really allowing the IEM's I have to shine to their full potential.

Again regarding the reviews, I too am no @mark2410 or @Brooko (add/delete favourite reviewer of choice) , but what I lack in expertise, I hopefully make up for with enthusiasm :p

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #18,258 of 24,683
I love the Hyperion.. Wonderful little IEM, especially with the early discounts that were offered :)
Free with the icarus iv

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #18,259 of 24,683
I'm still trying to figure out the technical difference between the Icarus IV and the PM6?
Ignoring the balanced armature part; just between:
Icarus IV: "11mm dual coil electroacoustic transducer"
& PM6: 2 x dual coil dynamic drivers in a push-pull configuration

If anyone with technical knowledge could advise, I'd really appreciate it!
Namely:
1) what is an 'electroacoustic transducer'? How does it compare to a dynamic driver? Or it's a different name for the same thing?

2) As far as I know, IEM's such as the Campfire Audio Vega have a single dynamic driver per side (per individual earphone I mean).
So am I understanding correctly that the PM6 actually has TWO dynamic drivers per side (in a push-pull configuration lol)?

3) So, and I realise any answers will be pure speculation, any thoughts on what difference these two technologies are likely to have in terms of the sound signature?
Especially with regards to (but not limited to) the bass, power, accuracy, sub-bass, etc?

I have reasons for asking, but I'd rather wait to hear any responses before posting further :p

To add to the previous explanations above, push/pull (or isobaric) configurations are used to help reduce distortion in the sound waves being produced, to give a cleaner sound. The drivers fire "out of phase", because the inward and outward movement of a driver is not completely symmetrical, so having them both move in and out at the same time would just exaggerate any asymmetry and create more distortion in the sound output. Putting the drivers out of phase attempts to cancel the asymmetry in their movement and the related distortion due to flux modulation.

I'm no expert, but there are loads of explanatory articles on the internet (mainly regarding subwoofer design), which I read up on and pinched a bit of the above from when originally writing up a description on the Sabre many moons ago. Hope that helps!

Jun 8, 2017 at 5:54 AM Post #18,260 of 24,683
Also, should have my Hunter review finished in the next week or so, for whoever was asking when a few will hit the ground. Been so busy with work and other writeups I'm trying to finish that this is taking a while, but will hopefully get it out soon.

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #18,261 of 24,683
To add to the previous explanations above, push/pull (or isobaric) configurations are used to help reduce distortion in the sound waves being produced, to give a cleaner sound. The drivers fire "out of phase", because the inward and outward movement of a driver is not completely symmetrical, so having them both move in and out at the same time would just exaggerate any asymmetry and create more distortion in the sound output. Putting the drivers out of phase attempts to cancel the asymmetry in their movement and the related distortion due to flux modulation.

I'm no expert, but there are loads of explanatory articles on the internet (mainly regarding subwoofer design), which I read up on and pinched a bit of the above from when originally writing up a description on the Sabre many moons ago. Hope that helps!

That is indeed very helpful. I had a rough grasp of the basic idea, but this fills in some gaps!

Jun 8, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #18,263 of 24,683
There are just too many unknows with Flare Pro for me to jump on the order:
1. Can I avoid using the bluetooth DAC?
2. If not, how much would it weight? Must be quite a heavy load on the ear. R2Pro's (and A's and S's) Y splitter already seemed to weight enough to hurt not only on the ears, but on the chest after a while
3. Over-ear wear seems to be a no go (as per the instruction booklet)
4. Ad says balanced connection, but the illustrated jack seems to be a 3.5 TRS
5. Talk about QC issues and unresponsiveness... we've been promissed balanced cables when backing the R2's, and even though the team was extremely responsive at first, they ignored any email sent to them before long (about two months after the campaign ended)
6. If R2's received mixed to good reviews, Flare's latest product, the Isolate received much less positive reviews to say the least...

The Isolate's are an ear protector of course not an iem. I've read many positive reviews, even on a bass player's forum that slagged them off to begin with. Tried them myself at a recent live gig & the sound quality was good, just at a volume that didn't leave ears ringing afterwards! YMMV

Jun 8, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #18,264 of 24,683
If I use the largest size foam tips/L Kombi size tips, would that be a ML or L for spiraldots?

Large Kombi - 12.5mm wide, 9mm tall, bore dia of 5mm

M/L Spiral Dots - 12.5mm wide, 8.5mm tall, bore dia of 3mm

That's at least what my calipers say. In person the spiral dots sit nice and deep in the ear canal thus decreasing the moment arm and making the fit significantly more secure compared to the kombis. Sound is a lot "larger" as well

@Hi-Fi'er, thank you for that suggestion! Here’s what I’ve tried:

I removed the black foam damper from the green filters and placed them into the gold undamped filters. Observations: the bright highs are somewhat tamed but at a cost… the highs seem more “closed-in” now and also I seem to be hearing a spike in the highs (maybe 8kHz). The bass seems more over-emphasised it would seem. There doesn’t seem to be a change in the sibilance which is still present in some tracks.

I tried the green filters (since I’ve removed the foam dampers). Observations: Too bright! The highs seemed especially strident and I had to stop after 10 minutes. (I have a wee bit of a headache now…)

Giving some thought to what @bk123 (and @Miko 7 earlier) said about modding the damping materials I cut one of the black foam damper in half and inserted each end into the gold undamped. Oof! I do believe I may have just found a sweet spot here. The highs were noticeably more manageable and still sounded fairly “open”. The bass now seems more balanced in relation to the frequency range. Unfortunately there’s still sibilance in those same tracks.

I’m now experimenting with the half-cut black foam dampers in the other filters to see how they fair. I’m liking the blue more now. I mentioned earlier that I thought I heard some congestion in the mids/mid-highs with the stock blue filters. I’m happy to report that the half-cut dampers have just about eliminated the congestion. This is a serious contender for my favourite all-rounder filter now.

Just a note here, these tracks I’m noticing sibilance in sound fine on a Shure E2c, Trinity Delta V-II and to some extent my pair of PM4. Now I’m not sure if the bright highs in the Hunter are responsible for the perceived clarity and detail whilst the flip-side of this tuning coin is the oft-mentioned sibilance (vocals, high hats, cymbals inclusive). I’m wondering if this is the new Trinity house sound?

In the meantime I’ll be trying out some more experiments (different length cuts of the black foam dampers, different damping materials, different density dampers, etc). I’ll report back when I find anything interesting.

Cheers! (Sorry for the long post...)

You know I went back to blue filters when my Spiral dots come in and the blue filters sounded excellent but even with the full black dampening certain violin and piano pieces are unbearable. I'm actually thinking about adding black dampening material to the blue filters. Keep us posted what you come up with and I'll do the same

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #18,265 of 24,683
[QUOTE="Miko 7, post: 13535336, member: 465791"You know I went back to blue filters when my Spiral dots come in and the blue filters sounded excellent but even with the full black dampening certain violin and piano pieces are unbearable. I'm actually thinking about adding black dampening material to the blue filters. [/QUOTE]

@Miko 7 Is this a tying error? The blue filters already come with black dampening material. But you're saying you're thinking of adding black dampening material to the blue filters?
I've been following your experiments with great interest, so just hoping for some clarification in case I've misunderstood something! :)

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #18,266 of 24,683

That's at least what my calipers say. In person the spiral dots sit nice and deep in the ear canal thus decreasing the moment arm and making the fit significantly more secure compared to the kombis. Sound is a lot "larger" as well

You know I went back to blue filters when my Spiral dots come in and the blue filters sounded excellent but even with the full black dampening certain violin and piano pieces are unbearable. I'm actually thinking about adding black dampening material to the blue filters. Keep us posted what you come up with and I'll do the same
I thought the M/L spiral dot was 13mm and had a bore of >4mm.

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #18,267 of 24,683

I am letting them burn in pink noise for 100+ hours. I'm not in a hurry to use them ASAP. I listened to them for 5 hours no burn in and everything was sibilant with all filters so it was pointless to go further. I will report what I find (eventually).

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #18,268 of 24,683
[QUOTE="Miko 7, post: 13535336, member: 465791"You know I went back to blue filters when my Spiral dots come in and the blue filters sounded excellent but even with the full black dampening certain violin and piano pieces are unbearable. I'm actually thinking about adding black dampening material to the blue filters.

@Miko 7 Is this a tying error? The blue filters already come with black dampening material. But you're saying you're thinking of adding black dampening material to the blue filters?
I've been following your experiments with great interest, so just hoping for some clarification in case I've misunderstood something! :)[/QUOTE]

Probably should have been more specific. I was listening to the blue filters with black dampening in bed the past few nights, after 67 tracks I have to say that some of the high frequencies are SOUL CRUSHING while the rest of the range is beautifully in balance with a slight lack of mid-bass but a very nicely executed lower frequencies. I just could not enjoy any violin or piano solo, anything in fortissimo is torturous.

Hance I'm thinking about adding 1/3 of dampening material onto the existing dampening material. The spiral dots and a good/verified seal really changed the game and the way I feel about every single filter.

I wish someone could graph the frequency response. From test tones it sounds as the white dampener extends heavily down to about 7kHz, and the black dampener extends to maybe 8.5 or 9 kHz.

Either way I don't think the Master is balanced well, it needs tamed in the uppers and the filters feel like a band-aid. With a good seal and fit all the un-dampened filters sound rough

Jun 8, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #18,269 of 24,683
[QUOTE="Miko 7, post: 13535336, member: 465791"You know I went back to blue filters when my Spiral dots come in and the blue filters sounded excellent but even with the full black dampening certain violin and piano pieces are unbearable. I'm actually thinking about adding black dampening material to the blue filters.

I've been following your experiments with great interest, so just hoping for some clarification in case I've misunderstood something! :)[/QUOTE]

Yes you can add another filter inside. I tried it already as there is just enough space inside.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back