TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
Jun 7, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #18,227 of 24,683
@Hi-Fi'er, thank you for that suggestion! Here’s what I’ve tried:

I removed the black foam damper from the green filters and placed them into the gold undamped filters. Observations: the bright highs are somewhat tamed but at a cost… the highs seem more “closed-in” now and also I seem to be hearing a spike in the highs (maybe 8kHz). The bass seems more over-emphasised it would seem. There doesn’t seem to be a change in the sibilance which is still present in some tracks.

I tried the green filters (since I’ve removed the foam dampers). Observations: Too bright! The highs seemed especially strident and I had to stop after 10 minutes. (I have a wee bit of a headache now…)

Giving some thought to what @bk123 (and @Miko 7 earlier) said about modding the damping materials I cut one of the black foam damper in half and inserted each end into the gold undamped. Oof! I do believe I may have just found a sweet spot here. The highs were noticeably more manageable and still sounded fairly “open”. The bass now seems more balanced in relation to the frequency range. Unfortunately there’s still sibilance in those same tracks.

I’m now experimenting with the half-cut black foam dampers in the other filters to see how they fair. I’m liking the blue more now. I mentioned earlier that I thought I heard some congestion in the mids/mid-highs with the stock blue filters. I’m happy to report that the half-cut dampers have just about eliminated the congestion. This is a serious contender for my favourite all-rounder filter now.

Just a note here, these tracks I’m noticing sibilance in sound fine on a Shure E2c, Trinity Delta V-II and to some extent my pair of PM4. Now I’m not sure if the bright highs in the Hunter are responsible for the perceived clarity and detail whilst the flip-side of this tuning coin is the oft-mentioned sibilance (vocals, high hats, cymbals inclusive). I’m wondering if this is the new Trinity house sound?

In the meantime I’ll be trying out some more experiments (different length cuts of the black foam dampers, different damping materials, different density dampers, etc). I’ll report back when I find anything interesting.

Cheers! (Sorry for the long post...)

Looks like I will be doing some experimenting while I wait for a reply from Kieran about my Hunter problems.

I hope this is not the new Trinity house sound. I compared a pair of earbuds that only cost $4.99 and they were superior sounding to my Hunter!

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #18,232 of 24,683
Just ordered the new Flare Pro's released today! Looks a terrific package with DAC included :slight_smile:

Be interesting to compare with the Hunter & the iSine. Bank balance hurting! :smile:

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/flares

Have been using my Vyrus 2, but posting this has me revisiting my Flare Audio R2Pro's titanium.

I must say that these look very nice!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #18,233 of 24,683
Honestly, right now for as much as i like the pm6, i want to see the hunter arriving. After that i can wait and consider anything else they might introduce
Don't forget we're both also waiting on the Air. I want my completely wireless Vyrus so much :D

Just ordered the new Flare Pro's released today! Looks a terrific package with DAC included :slight_smile:

Be interesting to compare with the Hunter & the iSine. Bank balance hurting! :smile:

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/flares
I just saw those earlier. Interesting indeed. They've gotta also be planning to release a cheaper variant down the line right? I can understand launching with the flagship Pro version. I liked the sound of the original R2A, but it's build left much to be desired which is why I sold them. It looks like they went with detachable at the y-split like Trinity Audio as well, but MMCX at a slightly different spot. I'm not sure what the reasoning on doing it specifically that way is.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #18,234 of 24,683
Looked at the new Flares Pro. $750! Not happening. They would have to be so much better than my R2Pro. Couldn't care less about the electronics box. Doubt the dual mmcx connectors are going to be popular. They had plenty of room on the box to go with different connectors.

Haven't had any problems with my Trinity Atlas and the mmcx.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #18,235 of 24,683
Wh
Looked at the new Flares Pro. $750! Not happening. They would have to be so much better than my R2Pro. Couldn't care less about the electronics box. Doubt the dual mmcx connectors are going to be popular. They had plenty of room on the box to go with different connectors.

Where? I see $450 on their site.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #18,236 of 24,683

Not sure what is going on, but when I first clicked on the link above, it stated $451.72. Now it says $452.25.

Correction: the website price shown changes with the fluctuation of currencies. Should have known.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #18,237 of 24,683
Hmmm a parcel was attempted from Trinity.

Now, all I have on order are the IV's with possible free Hyperion sent now.

But I also have a pair that they couldn't fix being returned for the past two weeks.....

The suspense!!

They wouldn't send a faulty pair back next day APC..... would they..???!!??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back