TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 13, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #16,516 of 24,683
Yeah, I've moved on to gold un-damped and medium kombi-tips too. Feels like a small improvement. It's hard to describe, but my impression is that the sound isn't very refined with mid-fi at best fidelity, which I don't necessarily mind depending on my mood, but then I expect smoothness in return. The Masters however, don't seem particularly smooth. If anything, they're a bit on the fatiguing side. If I had to guess, I'd assume that the lack of crossovers is the root cause of the "unrefined yet not smooth" impression. Maybe damped filters would help with the fatigue, but the sound is on the distant and veiled side as it is so I'm hesitant to try since I'm pretty sure I'll hate it.

Definitely not a fan of the V. Treble feels a bit harsh and subdued at the same time. I'm not hearing much of any lushness in the mids, which is something I crave. Bass ideally would be less humpy with more low end extension. Anything that demands to be listened to critically or intimately suffers thanks to the V-type response. I think a neutral-ish response can be just as, and even more, exciting than a v-response, especially with excellent bass extension, but any flaw in the headphone/iem is compounded. The better your product, the better it sounds with a neutral response and vice versa.

I'm having a hard time finding an enjoyable listening level. I keep wanting to listen louder to try to bring forward missing details, but then the harshness and graininess leaves me reeling and I lower the volume lower than I had it before.

As negative as I probably sound, I still think it was a decent buy at the sale price. But what I'm hearing isn't worth the current asking price. Not even close. And yeah, it's of course possible my impressions will evolve more favourably given some more time. Or that burn in actually exists.

That said, if my impressions don't change over the weekend and the PM6 isn't significantly better in terms of fidelity, tuning, and neutrality, I'll probably look into cancelling my order early Monday.

Wow that's the first realy negative post i have read , do you mind me asking what you are using as source????
I do feel these shine better with power or a decent dap, tried them with my phone and didnt like them.
Aso I used gold damped for a few days ( i suffer from treble frequencys) and after about a week felt they smoothed out and changed to gold undamped.
I have many iems that i have had that i found fatiguing but don't find the masters one of them and yes they are a warm sounding iem but i still find them highly detailed and overall balance sounds good to me
All sound is subjective of course and we all have are preferences.

May 13, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #16,517 of 24,683
OK, so on a random hunch I tried replacing the tips with ones that came with a KZ-ATE, and that made a big difference, but brought out the bass more so I went back down to purple undamped filters.

Which means if I keep the PM6 order I'm going to need to also order another cheap chinese IEM that comes with the same tips, or figure out where to get those tips separately :p

I've never been sure whether or not to believe in burn in, but the treble harshness seems to be slowly going away, which if anything should become more noticeable as I listen. It's still obviously present though. Maybe the change in tips has some impact. I'll try to burn them in overnight anyway. I can also confirm that the Masters prefer high end amplification.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #16,518 of 24,683
OK, so on a random hunch I tried replacing the tips with ones that came with a KZ-ATE, and that made a big difference, but brought out the bass more so I went back down to purple undamped filters.

Which means if I keep the PM6 order I'm going to need to also order another cheap chinese IEM that comes with the same tips, or figure out where to get those tips separately :p

I've never been sure whether or not to believe in burn in, but the treble harshness seems to be slowly going away, which if anything should become more noticeable as I listen. It's still obviously present though. Maybe the change in tips has some impact. I'll try to burn them in overnight anyway. I can also confirm that the Masters prefer high end amplification.
Or if the PM6 is more to your taste, maybe you just end up selling the Master and you won't need another set of cheap Chinese IEMs for the tips! Lol :ksc75smile:

May 13, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #16,519 of 24,683
Back from a very pleasant dinner party. Just had to pop these Masters back in for more.

I'm glad you found tips that are swinging the balance for you Jeff! On that topic, I've found that seal is extremely important with these IEMs. I've settled happily on the Kombi tips. I get them set deep and then REALLY gently pull on them until i feel resistance from a good seal. If I don't get this seal they sound flatter with less detail. With the seal, I'm flying high!

I wonder, Jeff, are you used to really premium gear? Personally I never spend more than $150 Canadian on phones. I mention this because my scope of reference is limited to that price range. Within this range, I found the PM4s to be hogging my attention from my collection, and I'm feeling more and more confident that these Masters are taking their place for my listening time.

Before I head to sleep I've been auditioning the blue filters. While I think I'm going to stick with the gold undampened, I do wonder if these would suit your preference better. After half an album I'm getting the impression that these are more neutral than the golds.

May 13, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #16,520 of 24,683
Just a little update.

After serval email request full refund all of my order, Jake reply virus v2, master has ship out.
tracking number show it is departure and on the way to HK. ( So all previous shipping email,
...send by next week, resend are lied )

For my rest of my order, Master6 and Atlas Delta, Jake reply send beginning next week guaranteed.
Okay, I will give trinity last chance to complete it On Wednesday and MUST provide tracking number, if not
I will open dispute case in paypal, so I think this is quite fair for me.

I hope you guy who ordered in trinity will end up get the stuff.

May 13, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #16,524 of 24,683
Yeah, I've moved on to gold un-damped and medium kombi-tips too. Feels like a small improvement. It's hard to describe, but my impression is that the sound isn't very refined with mid-fi at best fidelity, which I don't necessarily mind depending on my mood, but then I expect smoothness in return. The Masters however, don't seem particularly smooth. If anything, they're a bit on the fatiguing side. If I had to guess, I'd assume that the lack of crossovers is the root cause of the "unrefined yet not smooth" impression. Maybe damped filters would help with the fatigue, but the sound is on the distant and veiled side as it is so I'm hesitant to try since I'm pretty sure I'll hate it.

Definitely not a fan of the V. Treble feels a bit harsh and subdued at the same time. I'm not hearing much of any lushness in the mids, which is something I crave. Bass ideally would be less humpy with more low end extension. Anything that demands to be listened to critically or intimately suffers thanks to the V-type response. I think a neutral-ish response can be just as, and even more, exciting than a v-response, especially with excellent bass extension, but any flaw in the headphone/iem is compounded. The better your product, the better it sounds with a neutral response and vice versa.

I'm having a hard time finding an enjoyable listening level. I keep wanting to listen louder to try to bring forward missing details, but then the harshness and graininess leaves me reeling and I lower the volume lower than I had it before.

As negative as I probably sound, I still think it was a decent buy at the sale price. But what I'm hearing isn't worth the current asking price. Not even close. And yeah, it's of course possible my impressions will evolve more favourably given some more time. Or that burn in actually exists.

That said, if my impressions don't change over the weekend and the PM6 isn't significantly better in terms of fidelity, tuning, and neutrality, I'll probably look into cancelling my order early Monday.
very clearly worded impressions. Fell like I know exactly how these sound. Thanks.

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #16,526 of 24,683
Alright, some more impression from my part. I agree with Jeff Graw in a lot of ways.

The Good:
- Detail retrieval is quite good, almost on the level of my FLC8s.
- Quite focused sounding, with a moderate soundstage. Compared to the PM4, it reveals a more realistic image. The PM4 had impressive width, but a really shallow depth, which made it somewhat unnatural.
- Aesthetics are quite well done. While I disapprove of the cable, it doesn't seem to be all that bad in terms of durability.

The Bad:
- Isolation is pretty average. Considering what you are putting inside of your ear, very disappointing.
- Heavy and potentially uncomfortable. The carbon fiber face plates are not rounded and do hurt after a while.
- Sub-bass extension is not great, though slightly better compared to the PM4.
- Speaking of bass: There is a huge mid-bass hump with pretty much every filter besides blue, orange and to some extend green.

The Ugly:
- 4kHz spike. Holy sh!t. The distortion issue from the PM4 does remain, though this only affects the non-Black dampened filters. This is expressed in very erratic echo and resonance.
- Large dip around 5-7kHz with the black dampened filters. Also there is a 9kHz spike, similar to the Phantom Sabre. (graph - blue filters)

As far as my impressions are concerned. The Masters are alright, but nothing extraordinary. I like the Blue and Green filters a lot, though they are outclassed by my (still) favorite earphone: The FLC8s. However as its stands, for the 60 GBP paid, I can't really complain. Albeit at retail this is another story.

May 13, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #16,527 of 24,683
Master.png

master2.png

The Master was delivered in 7 days to the US from the UK! so it was not shipped from Alabama.
It came with Kombi tips, case, extra cable (balanced I guess) and the standard accessories.
Like it very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back