TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 13, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #16,547 of 24,683
Darn, I've never thought I will write this, but... of the same dac/amp for portable use, of the MacBook Pro, Masters have ruined the Audio Technica ATH-MSR 7 experience for me, and this with purple filters !

More immediate across almost all register but the highs... weird... it shouldn't be the case... and it is an understatement to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed and enjoying the Audio Technicas, but Masters are really that good !

May 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #16,548 of 24,683
Alright, some more impression from my part. I agree with Jeff Graw in a lot of ways.

The Good:
- Detail retrieval is quite good, almost on the level of my FLC8s.
- Quite focused sounding, with a moderate soundstage. Compared to the PM4, it reveals a more realistic image. The PM4 had impressive width, but a really shallow depth, which made it somewhat unnatural.
- Aesthetics are quite well done. While I disapprove of the cable, it doesn't seem to be all that bad in terms of durability.

The Bad:
- Isolation is pretty average. Considering what you are putting inside of your ear, very disappointing.
- Heavy and potentially uncomfortable. The carbon fiber face plates are not rounded and do hurt after a while.
- Sub-bass extension is not great, though slightly better compared to the PM4.
- Speaking of bass: There is a huge mid-bass hump with pretty much every filter besides blue, orange and to some extend green.

The Ugly:
- 4kHz spike. Holy sh!t. The distortion issue from the PM4 does remain, though this only affects the non-Black dampened filters. This is expressed in very erratic echo and resonance.
- Large dip around 5-7kHz with the black dampened filters. Also there is a 9kHz spike, similar to the Phantom Sabre. (graph - blue filters)

As far as my impressions are concerned. The Masters are alright, but nothing extraordinary. I like the Blue and Green filters a lot, though they are outclassed by my (still) favorite earphone: The FLC8s. However as its stands, for the 60 GBP paid, I can't really complain. Albeit at retail this is another story.

Can you make graphs for the other filters? Thanks in advance.

May 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #16,549 of 24,683
Oh, on the topic of the numbers of filters. Of the three Trinity IEMs I've owned, with each I found two or three filters that I've enjoyed. Sure, the rest became useless to me, but I like the idea that others may have those ones as favorites to them. With the Master, my favs so far are gold/undampened, silver/undampened, and blue. My favorite part about the filter options is by far the occasional silver/undampened bass fest! I'll make a playlist of Rap, electronic, crazy music and just freak out for an evening :L3000: . Next day it's back to analytical listening. I'm a big fan of the push/pull dynamic drivers BTW.

May 13, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #16,550 of 24,683
Well, I just received Masters, which I had ordered on the last day of the Tradeup, and they came with a case, kombi tips, and a balanced cable. They had been sent straight from the UK, unlike the other products I've recieved from them.

May 13, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #16,551 of 24,683
Alright, some more impression from my part. I agree with Jeff Graw in a lot of ways.

The Good:
- Detail retrieval is quite good, almost on the level of my FLC8s.
- Quite focused sounding, with a moderate soundstage. Compared to the PM4, it reveals a more realistic image. The PM4 had impressive width, but a really shallow depth, which made it somewhat unnatural.
- Aesthetics are quite well done. While I disapprove of the cable, it doesn't seem to be all that bad in terms of durability.

The Bad:
- Isolation is pretty average. Considering what you are putting inside of your ear, very disappointing.
- Heavy and potentially uncomfortable. The carbon fiber face plates are not rounded and do hurt after a while.
- Sub-bass extension is not great, though slightly better compared to the PM4.
- Speaking of bass: There is a huge mid-bass hump with pretty much every filter besides blue, orange and to some extend green.

The Ugly:
- 4kHz spike. Holy sh!t. The distortion issue from the PM4 does remain, though this only affects the non-Black dampened filters. This is expressed in very erratic echo and resonance.
- Large dip around 5-7kHz with the black dampened filters. Also there is a 9kHz spike, similar to the Phantom Sabre. (graph - blue filters)

As far as my impressions are concerned. The Masters are alright, but nothing extraordinary. I like the Blue and Green filters a lot, though they are outclassed by my (still) favorite earphone: The FLC8s. However as its stands, for the 60 GBP paid, I can't really complain. Albeit at retail this is another story.

For us on the poorer side (well, at least economically), what is the lowest price on FLC8s ?

I've got the Masters for 60-70£...

May 13, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #16,555 of 24,683
Wow. So people are getting all the accessories but others have missing items!!??
Did Jake say cases were no longer to some and now they are? The balanced wasin recent orders but not others?

May 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #16,556 of 24,683
Wow. So people are getting all the accessories but others have missing items!!??
Did Jake say cases were no longer to some and now they are? The balanced wasin recent orders but not others?

They ran out during provisionning of the orders... So some will get some and some won't.

May 13, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #16,557 of 24,683
I've been auditioning the green filters while BBQing brontosaurus ribs in the backyard :meat_on_bone:. I still prefer the crisp, edgy(borderline too edgy) high freq of the undampened filters, but I feel these are a really solid option for those who would like to shift the focus more towards lush mids. Both the blue and green filters take the edge off the upper frequencies. If I was lending these to a friend, I'd probably throw the green filters on. Smooth enough to not irritate most people, with enough bass for the average listener's tastes.

May 13, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #16,559 of 24,683
For us on the poorer side (well, at least economically), what is the lowest price on FLC8s ?

I've got the Masters for 60-70£...

Around 250$+, might be lower on the used market.

Can you make graphs for the other filters? Thanks in advance.

Most likely when I get to publish my full review,

May 13, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #16,560 of 24,683
Huh? You don't get all the included accessories but others do since they did not manage inventory correctly?
Huh? You don't get all the included accessories but others do since they did not manage inventory correctly?

That is what has happened, yes. Is there something you still aren't clear on?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back