TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL HYBRID IEM!*
May 12, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #16,501 of 24,683
HaHa, I do like your thinking , but I stopped with the Demonology study long time ago. I too went with the heat treated titanium. Very happy about my decision. Do hope there is not an over abundance of purple though. Really just excited to receive my Hunter, and for other's to as well, to find out if it could indeed compare with TOTL's in the market. I was thinking that , if the PM6 and Hunter are being hand built on site, that probably only a very few could be built each day. Conceivably it could take the rest of this year to complete them all. But then again I could be off the wall.
I wouldn't mind purple; the colors of my college are purple and gold. But yes, I look forward to seeing them in person! So far, you have yet to be proven wrong about the Hunters and PM6s taking the rest of the year....they certainly haven't given us a reason to think otherwise. I sure hope that's not the case though; it would be nice to get them a bit earlier than the end of this year.

May 12, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #16,502 of 24,683
HaHa, I do like your thinking , but I stopped with the Demonology study long time ago. I too went with the heat treated titanium. Very happy about my decision. Do hope there is not an over abundance of purple though. Really just excited to receive my Hunter, and for other's to as well, to find out if it could indeed compare with TOTL's in the market. I was thinking that , if the PM6 and Hunter are being hand built on site, that probably only a very few could be built each day. Conceivably it could take the rest of this year to complete them all. But then again I could be off the wall.

Good to see some positive thinking and posts in this thread , i cant wait to try my hunter , im extremely happy wirh my master they were well worth the wait.
Now let's see what he's achieved with the hunter.

May 12, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #16,503 of 24,683
I wouldn't mind purple; the colors of my college are purple and gold. But yes, I look forward to seeing them in person! So far, you have yet to be proven wrong about the Hunters and PM6s taking the rest of the year....they certainly haven't given us a reason to think otherwise. I sure hope that's not the case though; it would be nice to get them a bit earlier than the end of this year.
UW? My daughter graduated from UW Bothell. Small world.

May 12, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #16,504 of 24,683
Good to see some positive thinking and posts in this thread , i cant wait to try my hunter , im extremely happy wirh my master they were well worth the wait.
Now let's see what he's achieved with the hunter.
Every so often, gotta put just a little glimmer of hope into the thread. Just a little....:grin:

UW? My daughter graduated from UW Bothell. Small world.
Small world indeed. I graduated from UW Seattle just last year.

May 12, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #16,505 of 24,683
Received my Masters in Canada! Some of you may remember me as an avid fan of the PM4. I'll write more in depth impressions after some more experience with the IEMs.

These new Masters are PHENOMENAL! Fit and finish is meticulous. I've begun my listening journey with the gold undampened filters. First impression of sound quality is that the Master is a more refined PM4. No massive leaps or divergences other than the taming of the vocal frequencies to satisfy customer demand. Some may remember that I was a fan of the vocal forward presentation of the PM4s. I'm fine with this compromise. Treble and upper mids are still well represented in the new Master, certainly more refined and immediately pleasing. The push/pull dynamic drivers are still slicing through low and mid frequencies with tremendous speed and impact. They too have been refined and seem to have an added lushness, which I thing is the result of slightly more represented mid frequencies in contrast to the PM4. The Masters are a tremendous accomplishment! I am a very happy camper right now. I'm tempted to skip dinner plans to spend more time with these.

I have to add that, at the pre-order price I paid, these are an extreme value

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #16,506 of 24,683
Received my Masters in Canada! Some of you may remember me as an avid fan of the PM4. I'll write more in depth impressions after some more experience with the IEMs.

These new Masters are PHENOMENAL! Fit and finish is meticulous. I've begun my listening journey with the gold undampened filters. First impression of sound quality is that the Master is a more refined PM4. No massive leaps or divergences other than the taming of the vocal frequencies to satisfy customer demand. Some may remember that I was a fan of the vocal forward presentation of the PM4s. I'm fine with this compromise. Treble and upper mids are still well represented in the new Master, certainly more refined and immediately pleasing. The push/pull dynamic drivers are still slicing through low and mid frequencies with tremendous speed and impact. They too have been refined and seem to have an added lushness, which I thing is the result of slightly more represented mid frequencies in contrast to the PM4. The Masters are a tremendous accomplishment! I am a very happy camper right now. I'm tempted to skip dinner plans to spend more time with these.

I have to add that, at the pre-order price I paid, these are an extreme value
Try to burn them and then say how much the sound improved after burnout?

May 12, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #16,507 of 24,683
I've never believed burn-in to make a difference. I have definitely noticed however, when I first switch from one headphone or IEM to another there is an adjustment period of a few hours where the differences feel extreme. Once my ears grow familiar with the new sound, I'll do an a/b comparison and the differences start to seem more subtle. I've read other people describe this as "brain burn-in"

Need too run or I'll be late for a dinner

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #16,508 of 24,683
Yeah with IEMs I would be much more concerned with matching the proper tips for your ears and given IEM than "burning them in". The brain percieves the sound the ears recieve. I think congestion, ear fatigue throughout the day energy levels, familiarity et cetera all contribute to what we call burn in. Brain burn in really

The best upgrade an audio enthusist can make is taking care of his ears. Once you loose it, it's gone. Earplugs are as important as earbuds I think.

May 12, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #16,509 of 24,683
I've never believed burn-in to make a difference. I have definitely noticed however, when I first switch from one headphone or IEM to another there is an adjustment period of a few hours where the differences feel extreme. Once my ears grow familiar with the new sound, I'll do an a/b comparison and the differences start to seem more subtle. I've read other people describe this as "brain burn-in"

Need too run or I'll be late for a dinner

He didn't say burn-in. He said burnout. Like torch it for that added warmth.

May 12, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #16,512 of 24,683
Just got my Masters, in Edmonton, Canada. Still waiting on the PM6. More detailed impressions on the Masters to follow... but so far feelings are a bit mixed. Using the purple "neutral" un-dampened filters (the default red filters sound awful) but things still sound coloured. Presentation is kind of muddy. The connection between the IEMs and the rest of the cable is far too bulky. Still not bad given the discounted price (I'm not sure I'd recommend them at retail price), but I hope the PM6 come out a lot a better. Of course, it's possible my opinion will get better with more listening, "burn in" and experimentation.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #16,513 of 24,683
Just got my Masters, in Edmonton, Canada. Still waiting on the PM6. More detailed impressions on the Masters to follow... but so far feelings are a bit mixed. Using the purple "neutral" un-dampened filters (the default red filters sound awful) but things still sound coloured. Presentation is kind of muddy. The connection between the IEMs and the rest of the cable is far too bulky. Still not bad given the discounted price (I'm not sure I'd recommend them at retail price), but I hope the PM6 come out a lot a better. Of course, it's possible my opinion will get better with more listening, "burn in" and experimentation.

It's finally Canada's turn to get in on the action! My personal favorites are the gold undampened. I doubt they'll help with the "colouration" though. Coming from flat reference tuned devices I know what you mean. I use my Trinity phones for my fun listening sessions. Don't be hesitant to tune these as bass monsters, I think that's their best strength. Hope they grow on you my fellow Canuck!

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #16,514 of 24,683

How do they deliver to Alberta first and not Quebec? :p pfff....

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 12:17 AM Post #16,515 of 24,683
It's finally Canada's turn to get in on the action! My personal favorites are the gold undampened. I doubt they'll help with the "colouration" though. Coming from flat reference tuned devices I know what you mean. I use my Trinity phones for my fun listening sessions. Don't be hesitant to tune these as bass monsters, I think that's their best strength. Hope they grow on you my fellow Canuck!

Yeah, I've moved on to gold un-damped and medium kombi-tips too. Feels like a small improvement. It's hard to describe, but my impression is that the sound isn't very refined with mid-fi at best fidelity, which I don't necessarily mind depending on my mood, but then I expect smoothness in return. The Masters however, don't seem particularly smooth. If anything, they're a bit on the fatiguing side. If I had to guess, I'd assume that the lack of crossovers is the root cause of the "unrefined yet not smooth" impression. Maybe damped filters would help with the fatigue, but the sound is on the distant and veiled side as it is so I'm hesitant to try since I'm pretty sure I'll hate it.

Definitely not a fan of the V. Treble feels a bit harsh and subdued at the same time. I'm not hearing much of any lushness in the mids, which is something I crave. Bass ideally would be less humpy with more low end extension. Anything that demands to be listened to critically or intimately suffers thanks to the V-type response. I think a neutral-ish response can be just as, and even more, exciting than a v-response, especially with excellent bass extension, but any flaw in the headphone/iem is compounded. The better your product, the better it sounds with a neutral response and vice versa.

I'm having a hard time finding an enjoyable listening level. I keep wanting to listen louder to try to bring forward missing details, but then the harshness and graininess leaves me reeling and I lower the volume lower than I had it before.

As negative as I probably sound, I still think it was a decent buy at the sale price. But what I'm hearing isn't worth the current asking price. Not even close. And yeah, it's of course possible my impressions will evolve more favourably given some more time. Or that burn in actually exists.

That said, if my impressions don't change over the weekend and the PM6 isn't significantly better in terms of fidelity, tuning, and neutrality, I'll probably look into cancelling my order early Monday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back