Tried the Westone 4, nice but looking for something different.
Oct 16, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 30
^ True. 

Any of the aforementioned silicone tips will lack some of the isolation you get from the foam tips but there has to be a tradeoff.  Foam will isolate better and give deeper bass response but with rolled-off highs.  Silicone will do the opposite.  The best compromise I've found is the perfectly sized Westone silicone Star tip.  You really have to go with the biggest size you can.  I use the Orange tip which is their largest.  With the Shure Olives (foam) I find the medium size to be the most comfortable.

Oct 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 30
  ^ True. 

Any of the aforementioned silicone tips will lack some of the isolation you get from the foam tips but there has to be a tradeoff.  Foam will isolate better and give deeper bass response but with rolled-off highs.  Silicone will do the opposite.  The best compromise I've found is the perfectly sized Westone silicone Star tip.  You really have to go with the biggest size you can.  I use the Orange tip which is their largest.  With the Shure Olives (foam) I find the medium size to be the most comfortable.

or you could try the earportz from proguard, they arent for everyone however they are medical grade silicone i would say as soft if not softer than the westone star silicone tips, they have a ergonomic shape for fit (this does require some adjustment to find both what fits you best and the best angle for the tip) however i find the isolation to be excellent as they are deeper insertion AND triple flanged. i also found that even with a size that fits you perfectly, you can go up one size to get maximum isolation without fatigued ear canals. or you can stay at what tip fits the best.

ALSO they have a tapered bore smaller at the nozzle and tappers to larger at the tip, this allows for in my opinion full extension of all frequencies. ive tried alot of tips, esp for the westone and found that if the tip is silicone but has a smaller bore opening this effects highs and soundstage.....i found with the foam be it star tip foam or comply foam, foam seems to damper the highs and somewhat collapse the soundstage.

but im not saying earpotz are the ultimate ''w4/r'' tip, however deeper insertion,triple flange and medical grade silicone, along with tapered bore IMO i havent gone back to any other tips.

i get my se535's friday and i have a pair of earportz awaiting them also....some like them some dont...personally im a fan

i paid 24.00 for the westone star tips as my westone w4r came with the older molder clear e2c style silicone and comply...so i bought the star tips, and off bat i was completely unpleased, i mainly bought them for the silicone i tried out the foam, but i never can like foam as i dont like the veiling they give any iem and dampen the sound signature......sure bass is good, but i really feel foam degenerates levels of detail in the sound........but i tried out all of the star silicone tips, and felt like for a new product they were very under developed, they are very soft silicone, but not ergonomic at all, esp the longer silicone tips that mimic the p series, i really really wanted to like them, i feel they are at best only asthetically pleasing with the w4/r otherwise for sound....well all of the dust the star tips i have speak for themselves lol.

But to each thier own

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #22 of 30
Hmm by the sounds of it CIEMs are almost worth it just to rid myself of all the annoying problems from different tips. Amping might help too I guess.

Throwing money at most problems is usually the answer.
wink.gif

I'm not sure about amping though.  I've owned a zillion DAPs and a fair amount of portable amps and if you eliminate "bass boost" from the equation, amping doesn't add much to a BA IEM.  Don't get me wrong, it helps... but it's not likely the answer you're looking for.

iBasso is a good place to start for a descent IEM amp on-the-cheap.  The T5 is very-very good IEM amp for the money.  It's worth trying since they're close to where you live.

Oct 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 30
Throwing money at most problems is usually the answer. :wink:

I'm not sure about amping though.  I've owned a zillion DAPs and a fair amount of portable amps and if you eliminate "bass boost" from the equation, amping doesn't add much to a BA IEM.  Don't get me wrong, it helps... but it's not likely the answer you're looking for.

iBasso is a good place to start for a descent IEM amp on-the-cheap.  The T5 is very-very good IEM amp for the money.  It's worth trying since they're close to where you live.

I was actually looking at doing just that.. Throwing down money for maybe a AK120 and nice CIEM, or a AK100, amp and CIEM. Hurray for money! Speaking of which, Want to give me some?

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #27 of 30
Earsonics SM64. No veil, no mid-bass hump, more low bass, bigger more realistic sound stage. The 64s deliver a very cohesive, coherent sound (integrated lows, mids & highs) with nice clarity and detail from bottom to top too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back