Tried the Westone 4, nice but looking for something different.
Oct 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok so I'm relatively new to the portable world, and I recently purchased the Westone 4R. They're very nice, a good all-rounder. The bass impact is decent, mids are nice, but I am looking for a bit more sparkle and air in the treble. These feel rolled off at the top end.

Any suggestions for me? $1250 max.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 30
Are looking at customs?, If not and if you don`t mind lower isolaton, I have had a really great time with my JVC FX80`s, for impressions have a look at te FX700`s as the 800`s are relatively new, the 800`s are simply improved 700`s, slight V sound sig, some of the best bass of all iems, very extended and energetic/sparkly treble, great soundstage and imaging that accentuates the highs.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3 of 30
Are looking at customs?, If not and if you don`t mind lower isolaton, I have had a really great time with my JVC FX80`s, for impressions have a look at te FX700`s as the 800`s are relatively new, the 800`s are simply improved 700`s, slight V sound sig, some of the best bass of all iems, very extended and energetic/sparkly treble, great soundstage and imaging that accentuates the highs.

I don't really mind custom or not, as long as I find the sound I'm after and fit well. The W4 fit perfect. I had real issues with the fit on the sm64 2 years ago.

Thanks for you suggestion. I'll do some reading.

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #7 of 30
I find that the "squishy" ones, Shure Olives and Comply tips have a tendency to roll-off the high frequencies.  Before spending money on new IEMs I would suggest trying the Shure Grey Soft Flex or Westone Star tips to see if that helps.  Don't get me wrong CIEMs are great but you have an amazing set of IEMs now.  I've owned the SE535s, UM3X (twice), SM3 v2 and the W4R; and the W4R is the best non-CIEM I have ever heard (assuming you are using the Star or Soft Flex tips).  Just food for thought.

If you go CIEM, I'm sure you can't loose.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 30
No problem.  Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Will do. I don't think the tips will be able to change the sig enough to get me to keep them, but I definitely won't write it off till i tried.

I guess the best way for me to explain what I'm after is something similar to the AD2000 full size cans, i really love the energy of those, but want a little more bass impact and soundstage.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 30
For a few bucks it's definitely worth a shot.  I don't think you'll ever get the feeling of the AD2000 in an IEM/CIEM but the silicone tips will "liven-it-up" a bit, and this comes from a die-hard Audio Technica fan.  I love the AD900s I have.  IEMs just can't replicate the soundstage of those amazing cans.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #12 of 30
For a few bucks it's definitely worth a shot.  I don't think you'll ever get the feeling of the AD2000 in an IEM/CIEM but the silicone tips will "liven-it-up" a bit, and this comes from a die-hard Audio Technica fan.  I love the AD900s I have.  IEMs just can't replicate the soundstage of those amazing cans.

I had the ad900 before the 2000. Soundstage is incredible. Listen to Jonsi - Grow Till Tall on them. Mindblowing.

Oct 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 30
Will do. I don't think the tips will be able to change the sig enough to get me to keep them, but I definitely won't write it off till i tried.

The Westone 4 is very frustrating phone in that it has the drivers to extend right to 20khz (though it's still shelved), but it is painfully tip dependent. Failing that, since it does have the treble extension, you can always use that taboo tool for audiophilia: equalization.

And when using foam tips, roll the foam past the center stalk.

Some measurements to give you an idea of what a different tip does to it:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #14 of 30
Ok so I'm relatively new to the portable world, and I recently purchased the Westone 4R. They're very nice, a good all-rounder. The bass impact is decent, mids are nice, but I am looking for a bit more sparkle and air in the treble. These feel rolled off at the top end.

Any suggestions for me? $1250 max.

custom CIEM'S ,fitear 334,tralucent one plus 2 

that max ammount can yeild some pretty phenomenal iem's either custom or universal

Oct 15, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 30
  The Westone 4 is very frustrating phone in that it has the drivers to extend right to 20khz (though it's still shelved), but it is painfully tip dependent. Failing that, since it does have the treble extension, you can always use that taboo tool for audiophilia: equalization.

And when using foam tips, roll the foam past the center stalk.

Some measurements to give you an idea of what a different tip does to it:

http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html

Interesting, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back