TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 12, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #3,811 of 3,867
I got a Tri Starshine that is up for sale.

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #3,814 of 3,867
Anyone has both Starshine and starlight and care to compare? Was going to get the stareshine because because I remember someone here posting that its a warm analog sounding yet highly revealing type of iem but a used starlight appeared for around 600usd converted which is within my purchasing bracket.
Here is a comparison:

Post in thread 'TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri...i3-starlight-new-starsea.921113/post-16349925

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #3,815 of 3,867
Here is a comparison:

Post in thread 'TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri...i3-starlight-new-starsea.921113/post-16349925
Ah you are refering to the OG I3 and not the I3 pro in that statement right? hmmm so its quite agrassive with the upper mids as apposed to the starsea and i3 pro which have a more gentle pinna and good extention up to 14k before dropping?

Thanks in advance.
Likely going with the starshines anyways since snappy Be bass is my jam and most vented Bass BA come close. Was mostly worried about the starlight bass being too draggy/syruppy as can sometimes be the case with the i3 pro.

Also where is the starlight comparison all I saw was praise for the starshine

Also Also sorry imyboi as tempting your offer is after the admin and logistics the price is likely to be higher importing to singapore than buying new from KBear. Good luck with your sales.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #3,816 of 3,867
Ah you are refering to the OG I3 and not the I3 pro in that statement right? hmmm so its quite agrassive with the upper mids as apposed to the starsea and i3 pro which have a more gentle pinna and good extention up to 14k before dropping?

Thanks in advance.
Likely going with the starshines anyways since snappy Be bass is my jam and most vented Bass BA come close. Was mostly worried about the starlight bass being too draggy/syruppy as can sometimes be the case with the i3 pro.

They are unique, doesnt quite have the "zing" of HBB Kinda Lava EJ07m, its there, but not as sharp, which can be a good thing. And certainly not as smooth in the upper regions as the Nanna v2. There doesn't seem to be a vent, but I could be wrong. Starshine's shell is bigger than the other two I've mentioned. They are still "earganomic" and the fit is still there. Haven't heard the Starlights, so no comment there.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #3,818 of 3,867

Thanks in advance.

Also Also sorry imyboi as tempting your offer is after the admin and logistics the price is likely to be higher importing to singapore than buying new from KBear. Good luck with your sales.
The Starsea has quite a linear extension from the pinna gain up through the lower treble frequencies - treble really is very strong and quite aggressive. By comparison the Meaoes Eagle has been criticised for bright treble but I found it's treble to be better balanced overall.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #3,819 of 3,867

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I was referring to the original I3s not the I3 Pros (which had not been released at that time).

But....please, please, please, do not deprive yourself of the pleasure of either of them. They are both highly resolving but complementary sets, the Starlights being more analytical, while the Starshines are more melodic. Remember they both need a good amount of power.

Good point I did not compare the two sets in that post.

Jan 13, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #3,820 of 3,867
Yes, I was referring to the original I3s not the I3 Pros (which had not been released at that time).

But....please, please, please, do not deprive yourself of the pleasure of either of them. They are both highly resolving but complementary sets, the Starlights being more analytical, while the Starshines are more melodic. Remember they both need a good amount of power.

Good point I did not compare the two sets in that post.
ah interesting, at lest from the zeos reviews it seems that the starlight bass is quite full bodied, as someone that finds the i3 pro bass on the edge of being wet for my tastes this part as me worried. Would you say that the starlight has just as full bodied a bass as the i3 pro or even thicker? Mostly asking due to bad experences with how the MEST bass was so distracting.

Thats not to say I dont like analytical as I prefer my stuff on the dryer and more dynamic end.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #3,821 of 3,867
ah interesting, at lest from the zeos reviews it seems that the starlight bass is quite full bodied, as someone that finds the i3 pro bass on the edge of being wet for my tastes this part as me worried. Would you say that the starlight has just as full bodied a bass as the i3 pro or even thicker? Mostly asking due to bad experences with how the MEST bass was so distracting.

Thats not to say I dont like analytical as I prefer my stuff on the dryer and more dynamic end.
The Mest's bone conductor is taking the low end into another realm (good or bad is a debatable). So I don't know if your declaration of preferring analytical (preference for BA, for the low end), versus some DD, that can draw out lower notes is accurate. Based on your example of the Mest.

From what I've read, the Starshine (link to Head-fi reviews) sounds like a homerun for your tastes. If you have other IEMs (besides the Mest) that have that undesirable, rich, sultry, DD low end, that makes you uneasy. Can you guess which way I lean :L3000: on BA vs. DD, for the low end ?

The Tri i3 can be near endgame for some budgets or more of a gateway, into the higher end Tri's. If you have the funds and the correct desktop rig, the Starlight & Starshine are on a different tier, than the i3. The Starlight is just more: more lively, more expansive, more attention to the vocals, a deeper sub note.

It's really about your tastes, in music. Currently I'm listening to "Me and Mrs. Jones", Billy Paul and both the OG Tri i3 and the Starlight hit it out of the park. There's such a richness to the male vocals. If you're a metalhead or an EDM fan, then BA (for the low end) all the way. e.g. Starshine

Let us know which way you go.

Jan 13, 2023 at 11:17 PM Post #3,822 of 3,867
The Mest's bone conductor is taking the low end into another realm (good or bad is a debatable). So I don't know if your declaration of preferring analytical (preference for BA, for the low end), versus some DD, that can draw out lower notes is accurate. Based on your example of the Mest.

From what I've read, the Starshine (link to Head-fi reviews) sounds like a homerun for your tastes. If you have other IEMs (besides the Mest) that have that undesirable, rich, sultry, DD low end, that makes you uneasy. Can you guess which way I lean :L3000: on BA vs. DD, for the low end ?

The Tri i3 can be near endgame for some budgets or more of a gateway, into the higher end Tri's. If you have the funds and the correct desktop rig, the Starlight & Starshine are on a different tier, than the i3. The Starlight is just more: more lively, more expansive, more attention to the vocals, a deeper sub note.

It's really about your tastes, in music. Currently I'm listening to "Me and Mrs. Jones", Billy Paul and both the OG Tri i3 and the Starlight hit it out of the park. There's such a richness to the male vocals. If you're a metalhead or an EDM fan, then BA (for the low end) all the way. e.g. Starshine

Thanks for giving me the final push towards the starshine.

Indeed I'm somewhat of a metal? and edm? fan with oceanderp by beast in black and gethsemane by nightwish being some of my faves along with my church by aviators.

Jan 14, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #3,823 of 3,867

I have owned both the Starshine and the Starlight. I would go the Starlight, hands down. Reviewers often complain about the "upper mids" and "high treble" that turns some off, however, burn-in is serious with this one and over time it mellows. True, a slight bump for EQ bass was beneficial to me but everything else it offered was better in comparison to the Starshine and to most IEM's sub-$1K. I still miss my old Starlight, served me very well for over 2 years before upgrade.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #3,824 of 3,867
Any owner of the TRI I3, the original, here? Which cable would you suggest for the TRI I3?

Jan 14, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #3,825 of 3,867
Any owner of the TRI I3, the original, here? Which cable would you suggest for the TRI I3?
I recently used the KBear Chord graphene cable, but, for me, it is simply for the aesthetics.

I take the view that the day cables make more difference than eartips is the day I will become a cable fanatic. However, everyone has their beliefs and I respect that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back