TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 23, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #3,841 of 3,867
Zeos seems to have acquired a taste for TRI. He is discovering what we discovered a while ago, TRI's good tuning to price ratio.

Warning: long video about various IEMs with his TRI excitement sprinkled in between.

At least he is consistent. His first review all those years ago was the reason I got the Starlight! Prior to that I only had the Legacy 5. That was two years ago? I have certainly fallen very deep into the rabbit hole.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #3,842 of 3,867
At least he is consistent. His first review all those years ago was the reason I got the Starlight! Prior to that I only had the Legacy 5. That was two years ago? I have certainly fallen very deep into the rabbit hole.

I think Zeos is alright. He races through reviews by the seat of his trousers (pants).

You have a wonderful collection, a collection I would love to have. 👌

Edit: You are [in] a great rabbit hole!

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #3,844 of 3,867
Jan 31, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #3,846 of 3,867
Ooopps!😳

I had to edit that!

That would teach me!

Reading and responding to Head-fi messages when I am feeling sleepy....not a good idea.😵‍💫
It's ok! It's the year of the rabbit so you get a free pass for this! In Vietnam it would be a cat-hole! Haha!

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #3,847 of 3,867
A months ago my TK-2 died suddenly and I had to spend months without a working TK-2. Send it off for repairs right as the warranty expired but they made no issue of it. No costs other than the costs of shipping it over there.
And today it finally came back.

20230116_173508.jpg

Gotta hand it to KBEAR/TRI, she is working beautifully and there is not a scratch on it. The only way that I know it's still my unit is the faint smell of the capacitor or chip that blew months ago and the traces of glue that wiped off pretty easily.

Finally I can enjoy my TK-2 again :L3000:
@NymPHONOmaniac maybe there’s hope for you

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #3,848 of 3,867
Just got my starshines.

If I didnt hear a fully burnt in copy I would be crying bloody murder now.
First impressions off the K9 pro AKM and TK2 are EST are slightly ahead in phase compared to the 2BA. Bass BA is out of control giving one note heavy slam bass and the ony thing worth talking about is the vocals BA carrying the set. Also There is hardly any stage to speak off. Also it sounds very compressed and digital.

Goes to show how much running in your drivers and letting them settle down is always a good thing. Sadly I cant run them in for the full 100hrs before I need to go back to camp but I'm looking forward to the improvements from one day of burn in.

Edit:
Wow just 4hours of break in and the starshine is sounding much better already. Its interesting that the air density has also increased significantly and it no longer has that sendy EST tambre. Bass BA has setted down somewhat but is still kind of stiff. All together I think might not need that much run in.

Edit2:
Ok after one day of burn in, boi on the the K9 pro AKM I can understand why they put this as their new flagship reference. While I would still like more soundstage the image size relative to the total stage is correct and the general tonality I feel is reference in the truest sense. No boosted bass, mids or treble. Honestly now I want to try starlight on a desktop rig. Have got to hand it to TRI for making the EST work but completely remove that sendy texture. If you didnt mention it was EST I would have guessed a aluminium DD super twitter since it has about the same tambre of being slightly sharp but very smooth.

That being said I feel that being so neutural the starshine works best with a coloured amp like their TK2. Or even with tubes since its dynamics are top notch but can be fattened a tad to give that grandose effect. Either way I was in for a present surprise at how transparent sounding the starshine is which is a good thing imo. It can be as digital or analog sounding as you want depending on source.

The only thing holding it back now is the sealed BA making this planar like slap for its slam that doesnt feel all that natural.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #3,850 of 3,867
The Star River is a solid new offering from TRI. I have received a set for review. It is dual dynamic, 10mm and 6mm combination with tunning switches.

The Star River comes with a nice set of accessories, including a set of Clarion tips, but apart from the sound quality, the beautiful silver cable is the highlight for me.

20230330_112546.jpg

20230330_112956.jpg

After burn-in, my impressions are of a good sounding set with more detail retrieval, stage and instrument separation than you would usually get at $59 USD, most of all the timbral accuracy is spot on to my ears. It is not a bassy set, but delivers appropriate sub-bass and mid-bass. Mids are relatively forward with good treble extension, so a U shaped set. Some might find certain treble a bit sizzly, I am not treble sensitive so for me, it is on the edge of peaky but not unbearable.

Review to follow in due course.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #3,851 of 3,867
The Star River is a solid new offering from TRI. I have received a set for review. It is dual dynamic, 10mm and 6mm combination with tunning switches.

The Star River comes with a nice set of accessories, including a set of Clarion tips, but apart from the sound quality, the beautiful silver cable is the highlight for me.

20230330_112546.jpg
20230330_112956.jpg

After burn-in, my impressions are of a good sounding set with more detail retrieval, stage and instrument separation than you would usually get at $59 USD, most of all the timbral accuracy is spot on to my ears. It is not a bassy set, but delivers appropriate sub-bass and mid-bass. Mids are relatively forward with good treble extension, so a U shaped set. Some might find certain treble a bit sizzly, I am not treble sensitive so for me, it is on the edge of peaky but not unbearable.

Review to follow in due course.
Star River also has its own thread. May be worth posting there: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri-star-river-impressions.966896/

Apr 27, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #3,853 of 3,867
IMG_20230425_001219.jpg
TRI has such wonderful tuners, all 4 have their own unique signature yet they are all such a joy to listen to.
All are clarion eartips?

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #3,854 of 3,867
All are clarion eartips?
Clearion on the star river and i3 pro
kbear A7 on the starstea
the stock white tips on the starshine(starshine is a bitch with changing around tips and cables)

Not in the pic but kbear emma cable works really nice on the star river and starsea
Kbear chord cable on the i3 pro
stock cable on the starshine because changing cables kills peaks for the starshine which is annoying.
Kbear emma is the best/wost of both worlds of pure copper and pure silver, its a very transparent cable with very good dynamics but with the softness of copper.

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:16 AM Post #3,855 of 3,867
For those of you who are Tri Starshine fans, Zeos will be releasing a video in about a week on his very delayed review of the Starshines. He went nuts over it! Apparently brought him to tears! Watch out for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back