TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 14, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #3,826 of 3,867
I recently used the KBear Chord graphene cable, but, for me, it is simply for the aesthetics.

I take the view that the day cables make more difference than eartips is the day I will become a cable fanatic. However, everyone has their beliefs and I respect that.
Off subject, but here's an observation on cables.

I inadvertently demonstrated a clear difference in cables when I got my 60ohm Kinera Nannas . At the time that I first got the Nannas, I was A/B my Qudelix-5K and the FiiO BTR7 and initially plugged the Nannas (with stock cable) into the Qudelix. To put it bluntly, sounded like a stereo setup, playing in the next room over. Swapped to the KBEAR Chord 6N Graphene+4N OFC Silver-plated cable and now it sounded like a clock radio, playing in the next room over.

On the BTR7, both cables sounded much better and the differences were harder to discern.

Now back to the scheduled programming

Jan 14, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #3,827 of 3,867
I recently used the KBear Chord graphene cable, but, for me, it is simply for the aesthetics.

I take the view that the day cables make more difference than eartips is the day I will become a cable fanatic. However, everyone has their beliefs and I respect that.
Hey Chris! :)

How are you? I always appreciate your responses :)

I took my TRI I3 out of their case after a year or so, I wanted a change. I'm using this cable on them, I have forgotten them.

About the cables...yeah... I used to think same way but recently I got a shock after connecting my RAPTGO HOOK-X with the Tansio Mirai Sands stock cable, and before that, when I connected my 7Hz Timeless with the TRI Grace C... so, yeah...

Do you mean this cable, Chris, is that what you're using? Thanks for your suggestion. I've pinged XINHS on Ali but...Chinese New Year there now.

Would you be so kind to suggest me an extraordinary modern Jazz album to listen tomorrow afternoon? :)

Thank you!

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #3,828 of 3,867
Any owner of the TRI I3, the original, here? Which cable would you suggest for the TRI I3?
I wanted a 2.5mm balanced cable for mine, bought the FAAEAL 8-core high purity copper and it's worked well:

https://a.co/d/6DcaIKs

(Besides the balanced connector, I chose that cable mostly for aesthetics.)

Jan 15, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #3,829 of 3,867
Hey Chris! :)

How are you? I always appreciate your responses :)

I took my TRI I3 out of their case after a year or so, I wanted a change. I'm using this cable on them, I have forgotten them.

About the cables...yeah... I used to think same way but recently I got a shock after connecting my RAPTGO HOOK-X with the Tansio Mirai Sands stock cable, and before that, when I connected my 7Hz Timeless with the TRI Grace C... so, yeah...

Do you mean this cable, Chris, is that what you're using? Thanks for your suggestion. I've pinged XINHS on Ali but...Chinese New Year there now.

Would you be so kind to suggest me an extraordinary modern Jazz album to listen tomorrow afternoon? :)

Thank you!
Hi Nick,

I am fine, I hope you are well and doing well.

Yes, the KBear cable on Amazon is the Chord. I got the 2pin, 4.4 version. Despite being a thickish cable, it feels soft.

Edit: you might want to note what @Igcubana says about the KBear Chord cable before you commit to buying it.

My Sunday recommendation is Greg Karukas - Soul Secrets.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #3,830 of 3,867
Off subject, but here's an observation on cables.

I inadvertently demonstrated a clear difference in cables when I got my 60ohm Kinera Nannas . At the time that I first got the Nannas, I was A/B my Qudelix-5K and the FiiO BTR7 and initially plugged the Nannas (with stock cable) into the Qudelix. To put it bluntly, sounded like a stereo setup, playing in the next room over. Swapped to the KBEAR Chord 6N Graphene+4N OFC Silver-plated cable and now it sounded like a clock radio, playing in the next room over.

On the BTR7, both cables sounded much better and the differences were harder to discern.

Now back to the scheduled programming
I read my notifications back to front and almost missed your post.

Are the cables for the Nannas available to buy separately? It would be good to try them. I remain open minded about cables.

I have to ask, during the process of changing cables, do you not have difficulty remembering what you heard previously? This is my difficulty, I cannot be sure after going through the process of changing cables.

The only cable on which I heard a difference is the Effect Audio Cleopatra II, but I would not open it up to find out why, firstly because it is on loan and secondly, I am no technician. At 1K, I will wait until I have all my dream IEMs before I buy it.

Maybe the Nanna cable will persuade me.

Jan 15, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #3,831 of 3,867
Hi Nick,

I am fine, I hope you are well and doing well.

Yes, the KBear cable on Amazon is the Chord. I got the 2pin, 4.4 version. Despite being a thickish cable, it feels soft.

Edit: you might want to note what @Igcubana says about the KBear Chord cable before you commit to buying it.

My Sunday recommendation is Greg Karukas - Soul Secrets.

Thank you, Chris! Very nice audition for a Sunday evening, already got it in .WAV and listening from UAPP, with my Qudelix-5K.

I've looked again at the few cables I have and found this one. I do not remember from where I bought it, might be XINHS, but it sounds wonderfully with my TRI I3! :) :)

Attachments

• TRIcable.jpg
    TRIcable.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #3,832 of 3,867
I read my notifications back to front and almost missed your post.

Are the cables for the Nannas available to buy separately? It would be good to try them. I remain open minded about cables.

I have to ask, during the process of changing cables, do you not have difficulty remembering what you heard previously? This is my difficulty, I cannot be sure after going through the process of changing cables.

The only cable on which I heard a difference is the Effect Audio Cleopatra II, but I would not open it up to find out why, firstly because it is on loan and secondly, I am no technician. At 1K, I will wait until I have all my dream IEMs before I buy it.

Maybe the Nanna cable will persuade me.

I have to ask, during the process of changing cables, do you not have difficulty remembering what you heard previously?
Like you, I’ve had difficulty differentiating tangents that can be subtle, when my testing is sporadic. To help with this challenge I only use three songs; which (because of my recent buying spree) I’ve been listening to a lot. So literal memory retention, for my test songs.

"Maybe the Nanna cable will persuade me."
The differentiator wasn't the cables, it was the power output difference between the two BT DAC/Amps (Qudelix-5K & FiiO BTR7). On the proper hardware (the more powerful BTR7), the stock Nanna cable was not a game changer, versus the KBear mixed cable. The Nanna cable looks a lot like the stock IMR cables.

I do believe cables with either pure copper or pure silver can have some differing nuances. But like you, most of my cable purchases are for aesthetics. I have experienced one (relative to my wallet) expensive cable from Effect Audio (Cadmus) and it did make a sonic difference to my FiiO FD5. link to Cadmus review

I’ve only recently started investing in my personal TOTL IEMs (e.g. Tri Starlight) and am not yet ready to look into cables that cost plus $100 USD. So I’ll continue to buy the KBear, graphene mixed cables.

KBEAR Chord 6N Graphene+4N OFC Silver-plated
KBEar Chord 6N.jpg

KBEAR Hazy 6N Graphene+Copper-Silver Alloy Mixed
KBEar Hazy 6N.jpg

Jan 16, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #3,833 of 3,867
A months ago my TK-2 died suddenly and I had to spend months without a working TK-2. Send it off for repairs right as the warranty expired but they made no issue of it. No costs other than the costs of shipping it over there.
And today it finally came back.

20230116_173508.jpg

Gotta hand it to KBEAR/TRI, she is working beautifully and there is not a scratch on it. The only way that I know it's still my unit is the faint smell of the capacitor or chip that blew months ago and the traces of glue that wiped off pretty easily.

Finally I can enjoy my TK-2 again :L3000:

Jan 16, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #3,834 of 3,867
A months ago my TK-2 died suddenly and I had to spend months without a working TK-2. Send it off for repairs right as the warranty expired but they made no issue of it. No costs other than the costs of shipping it over there.
And today it finally came back.

20230116_173508.jpg

Gotta hand it to KBEAR/TRI, she is working beautifully and there is not a scratch on it. The only way that I know it's still my unit is the faint smell of the capacitor or chip that blew months ago and the traces of glue that wiped off pretty easily.

Finally I can enjoy my TK-2 again :L3000:
Very good service. Pleased to hear you got your TK-2 back, fast and in good working order.

Jan 16, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #3,835 of 3,867
Firstly thank you Mr. Wong for gracously let me try both the star shine and star light even though he was only selling the starlight. Sadly he wouldnt let go of his sharshine even at ali prices so I'll have to wait for it to ship over from china(hopfully by 25 jan if ali is telling the truth but serously with CNY I serously doubt)

While I will agree that starlight is the more detailed and for most people better iem it has some minor querks that put it off it. As stated before I'm a person for fast DD be it the Tin C2 all the way to the FD7 there is just something special about the that slam that makes me all happy inside). Starlight on whats up danger from the spiderverse sounded very thick and it was quite difficult to hear the overlaying bass humm to the the varous upper bass/lower mid synth bass strikes as the decay kind of blends it together. It also has this interesting way of making vocals kind of smooth and 1/2 a octave higher. Not sure whats the reasoning behind that since normally just boosting post 1k doesnt really do that. Treble on the starlight dispite what people say isnt bright or harsh to my ears, then again apperently just having good extension past 10k is considered harsh for some people. One thing about the air that is interesting is that it seems to suffer from early est sand texture where it can reach the proper volumes but cant seem to maintain a smooth organic air sound and sounds like very fine dots with dips between every dot instead.

Now that I'm done talking bad on the starlight on to why its actually the better iem. For vocal string and esp brass there is this amazing sense of texture along with better saperation. The simoun soundtrack(or generally anything barock or big band in general) sound very good with esp that upper mid texture its fighting with iems like the VE EXT in terms of texture and both noteweight and lightless as needed. Instrument placement is very pin point which is something I've only been able to get with headphones like the AWKT. And in general as long as you focused towards country, older style rock/syth rock and more rythem based music that is slower this is crazy value for money.

The problem is that to my ears the starshine just has that coherency where everything is of the same thinness as need be but able to thicken up as need along with only a slight decrease in detail but in exchange the EST are tuned much better and able to do sustained air much better. The one thing I will knock off the starshine is the slightly smearly tip of the attack but generally thats a issue with all BA sets in general. The lowered pinna of the starshine makes it much easier to identify instruments in a crouded passage as well. Very much looking forward to owning it. What I find scary though is that I feel that the starshine can compete with other kilobuck iems like the symphonim trition if no price tag was put on both.

Its just my preferences and need for speed that lead me to prefer the starshine. Personally I think for the general pop and small room classical lovers the starlight would be a much better fit.

Edit:
Oh yeah I think its only fair for me to say it was a short listening session but done in a relexed setting sitting down on a couch and using the DX300 as my source

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #3,836 of 3,867
Jan 21, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #3,838 of 3,867
Thank you, Chris! Very nice audition for a Sunday evening, already got it in .WAV and listening from UAPP, with my Qudelix-5K.

I've looked again at the few cables I have and found this one. I do not remember from where I bought it, might be XINHS, but it sounds wonderfully with my TRI I3! :) :)
I may have just found an original I3, not Pro. I have been semi looking for one of these for a while. Looking forward to hearing it.

Back in the TRI family :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back