TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Apr 22, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #2,176 of 3,867
Can you post a picture of your switches?
Hi BenF
I will do some photos this morning (just woke up in London. I Am a little concerned of the QC on your set and you should not have to struggle to adjust and use this IEM. A broken key makes it clear that something is big time 'wrong' with your IEM. You are on the right thread to speak to @WendyLi about them. KBear/TRi are a really good company and she is always on line here to help. To break the pin/key shows something is wrong with your set.

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #2,177 of 3,867
Hi BenF
I will do some photos this morning (just woke up in London. I Am a little concerned of the QC on your set and you should not have to struggle to adjust and use this IEM. A broken key makes it clear that something is big time 'wrong' with your IEM. You are on the right thread to speak to @WendyLi about them. KBear/TRi are a really good company and she is always on line here to help. To break the pin/key shows something is wrong with your set.
Thanks for tagging me! :ksc75smile:

Apr 22, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #2,178 of 3,867
Received my Starsea today (Starlight is in transit).
Great packaging, disappointing sound. Bass is just... not there. Vocals are too thin.

Nevermind, I already knew from Youtube reviews that "Amazing Bass" tuning is required for them to sound best
1619034411876.png

So I tried to change the tuning...
The switch just wouldn't budge! The attached tool (SIM ejector) wasn't much help, it kept bending and eventually broke:
1619034567052.png

Is this a common experience among Starsea owners, or is my pair defective?

Eventually, I was able to move the first switch on both earphones, but I'm not sure it's the correct position - looks like maybe only half way through:

1619034736043.png1619034847353.png

Is this as far as the switch should go?
Oh, sorry, What happened here?! The ejector...
It is the first time that I see a broken ejector of Starsea...
How do you adjust the positions of switches after this?? :sweat_smile:

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #2,179 of 3,867
This looks interesting, very interesting. I might just try a cup.

Is this open to others as well? I don't care if nothing comes from it, but as a product design student seems like a fun way to pass some time and test my skills in these plague infested times.
Yeah, just have a try. After you finish it, please send me a PM and attach it, then I will submit to our product design department. What do you think of it? :ksc75smile:

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #2,180 of 3,867
Hi BenF
I use standard tuning, all switches down.

Starsea.jpg

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2,181 of 3,867
Oh, sorry, What happened here?! The ejector...
It is the first time that I see a broken ejector of Starsea...
The switches just wouldn't budge. The ejector got warm from all the effort, then it bent a little, and soon after that it broke.

How do you adjust the positions of switches after this?? :sweat_smile:
I used tiny screwdrivers and toothpicks - took a while until I was able to move the switches.
Then I encountered another problem - I couldn't be sure if the switches were moved enough, or if they were somewhere in the middle.
Even the pictures I took using Super Macro mode on my Mate 20 Pro weren't clear enough.
I tried my Fuji XT2 with a 56mm F1.4 lens - but it still wasn't clear enough.
Only after I added a 16mm macro ring and a LED fill-in light, I was able to verify the switches' position:

1619272957981.png
1619272980684.png

Either my set is defective, or these switches shouldn't exist from a usability point of view.
You can't expect people to go through all this effort just to know if the switches are in the right position.

The sound of this "Amazing Bass" is far superior to the default setting, just like Youtube reviewers (e.g. Zeos) said.

Standard vs Amazing Bass:

Amazing Bass vs Beautiful Vocals:

The bass in the Amazing Bass, isn't amazing, but it is very good. In the standard tuning, bass is too lean and dry, now it has much fuller body.
Vocals, on the other hand, fill in nicely and become very natural sounding - great timbre.

I was planning to measure all 4 tunings using my measurement head, but there is no chance I'll go through all this again...

Apr 24, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,183 of 3,867
The bass in the Amazing Bass, isn't amazing, but it is very good. In the standard tuning, bass is too lean and dry, now it has much fuller body.
Vocals, on the other hand, fill in nicely and become very natural sounding - great timbre.
The "Amazing Bass" setting is not amazing for a basshead but as you said it is very good, that is why I am happy with that setting.

Generally, the Starseas are a treble-fiend's IEM, hence the focus is elsewhere, not primarily the bass.

Glad you managed to get them in the setting you wanted eventually.

Apr 26, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,185 of 3,867
TRI Starshine :beerchug:
The New Flagship
Dual electrostatic units + 2 BA units
SPECIFICATIONS:
Brand: TRI
Model: Starshine
Connector: 2PIN 0.78MM
Frequency response: 20-20kHz
Sensitivity: 98dB
Impedance: 56Ω
Plug Type: 3.5mm
Cable material: copper and silver-plated braided cable

5.png
Woah, looks pretty dope. But 56 ohms at 98dB i guess it will take a boat load of power portably to shine properly.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,187 of 3,867
i have a question, how big is the starsea compared to moondrop ssp or starfields?
I can't answer your question but I like your Oshino Ougi avatar! More Monogatari love! :wink:

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,189 of 3,867
The Starshine doesn't have a DD? Wow where will the bass come from, and it is 56ohms at 98DB....this is not for a mobile phone. I don't even think my HiBy R5, 4.4mm will do it much justice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back