TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Nov 29, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #1,442 of 3,867
I had the DUNU LUNA loaner on tour last week and I did audition the Final A8000 a month back, the KBEAR BElieve is not as good in technical performance (transients, soundstage, details, instrument separation, imaging) as the LUNA and Final A8000, but then again the BElieve is 10 times cheaper than those sets, so not a fair comparison as such. I feel the LUNA and A8000 are not 10 times better as the price would suggest (as per diminishing returns in this hobby), maybe not even 3 times better. This is of course assuming the KBEAR BElieve is adequately amped, as the 98dB sensitivity makes it quite power hungry (it is easy to drive it from a smartphone, but it is a bit muddy and congested when not amped, with the bass being a bit slow when unamped).

Final A8000 has my vote for the best technicalities in a single DD I've heard, lightning fast transients and superb resolution and microdetails. It is a pain to drive though, and it has even better tehcnicalities than the DUNU LUNA. But the A8000 is a bit fatiguing for myself due to the wealth of details, and a peak around the 5 - 6 kHz region. LUNA is more smooth and musical with lush mids. I still prefer the LUNA over the A8000 cause I find the A8000 overly bright. But if I had $1700 USD to spare, I personally would not buy the LUNA due to the mega diminishing returns for TOTL sets, plus it has poor isolation and a subbass and higher treble roll off.
Ooops. I totally forgot to check on the specs of the believe. I got sucked into the marketing hype for 11/11. :)

Good thing, I found a replacement battery for my oppo ha2. Still waiting on the believe though

Nov 29, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,443 of 3,867
This little known piece by Elgar features perhaps one of his finest melodies. With organ flourishes adding colour, it is a beautiful sound. On the Starsea it is a real feast for the ears:

What the....

How am I just discovering this piece now? After playing in numerous orchestras growing up and listening to 4 to 10 hours of classical music daily during the pandemic.

Very nice piece indeed.

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,444 of 3,867
This wonderful performance is so concentrated and live sounding on the Starsea.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #1,445 of 3,867
The TRi Starsea's should be compulsory for classical music. They are definitely the reference when it comes to nearly all classical music.
Thanks @Nimweth for a lovely serene piece to start the day.

@dharmasteve, I agree the Starseas should be obligatory for classical music, and they must be in everyone's collection, given the price. Such a clean delivery across the frequencies makes music just wonderful.
So, the Starsea is a must-have for classical music. No...wait...the Tri i3 is spectacular for classical music. No...wait...you gotta hear proper classical music on the Tri Starlight, it’s mind-blowing!

Do I sense a theme? :ksc75smile:

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #1,446 of 3,867

8A58BA0E-B340-4C4B-8B3A-DA433B150C9A.gif

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,447 of 3,867
So, the Starsea is a must-have for classical music. No...wait...the Tri i3 is spectacular for classical music. No...wait...you gotta hear proper classical music on the Tri Starlight, it’s mind-blowing!

It seems to be a bit like Ali Express, every set is a DJ set. I would not dream of using IEMs for DJing, they are too flexible, you want a rigid set of headphones when you are mixing with one ear cup off so you can align the two tracks......I digress.

The Starlights are good for all types of music, the natural timbre of the instruments are accurately depicted....or as someone I know would say, the "timbral accuracy" 😁 is second to none with treble extension to die for. As you know, traditional BA treble has a tinge of metallic tone to it.

However, what TRI has done with their new BA is incredible, which makes them unique in reproducing much more natural or realistic timbre as well as deliver clean well extended treble. In the absence of the Starlights I would vote for the Starseas for classical music, jazz and generally instrumental tracks.

You know as much as I do about all of the TRI sets, particularly the TRI I3, which has such satisfying viseral sub-bass coupled with good quality mid-bass, cossetingly lush mids and acceptable treble, so bass heavy tracks, vocals and instrumental music with deep bass bellows out for the TRI I3.

If I am right, you like your treble to be detailed and clean without strain or sibilance, I would highly recommend the Starlights to you and if you do not want to push your budget that far, definitely the Starseas. I am happy to put a bet on you being pleasantly surprised by both the Starlights but especially the Starseas not least because of the quality to price ratio. My bet is you will place them high in your collection as keepers after one week use. £10 bet.......I cannot afford much more TRI took all my money. 🤣

Let me know if we have a bet. 🤝???

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #1,448 of 3,867

Ok, but seriously, which one for classical music.... I3 or starsea? I can only pick one at this time.

Nov 29, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #1,452 of 3,867

I LOVE classical on I3 except wish for a touch more top end sparkle with strings, upper register of piano. Ordered a silver cable (Dunu Blanche from Linsould BF sale) and we'll see if that adds the missing bit(s).

Thought about the Starsea BUT already have the LZ A7 en route and I'm not one who wants to own more to own than 3 EM's at once (I also have Shozy Form 1.1 which are a bit too bassy for some classical but surprisingly fun all-arounders).

Hoping the LZ A7 nails it for classical as does my TRI I3. To go just briefly bit off topic, if others have tried A7 for that genre, what filters / switch setting works best?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #1,453 of 3,867
I LOVE classical on I3 except wish for a touch more top end sparkle with strings, upper register of piano. Ordered a silver cable (Dunu Blanche from Linsould BF sale) and we'll see if that adds the missing bit(s).

Thought about the Starsea BUT already have the LZ A7 en route and I'm not one who wants to own more to own than 3 EM's at once (I also have Shozy Form 1.1 which are a bit too bassy for some classical but surprisingly fun all-arounders).

Hoping the LZ A7 nail it for classical as does my TRI I3. To go just briefly bit off topic, if others have tried A7 for that genre, what filters / switch setting works best?

If u are getting the LZ A7, then I think it is not worthwhile to get the TRI Starsea as the LZ A7 is better than the TRI Starsea in timbre, tonality and technicalities. LZ A7 also has more tuning options (10 versus 4 in the Starsea). TRI Starsea is no slouch, don't get me wrong, and it is 3 times cheaper than the LZ A7, but LZ A7 is a true upgrade over it, but LZ A7 is not 3 times better as per diminishing returns in this hobby. But TRI Starsea has very good technical performance for a $100ish hybrid for sure, quite reference like and will make a good stage monitor too.

LZ A7 has the best timbre I've heard in a BA/piezo containing hybrid, maybe except at the very high treble frequencies handled by the piezos, violins can on occasion sound a bit metallic. But for the midrange and lower treble and bass frequencies, it is very natural in timbre, though it may not beat a well tuned single DD set in terms of timbre accuracy. It does beat the TRI Starsea in timbre accuracy for acoustic instruments IMHO.

For the LZ A7, for classical u might wanna switch to the U shaped or neutral settings (generally the MONITOR switch will make the sound less V shaped), so as not to overly colour any frequencies. I kinda like gold-MONITOR, red-MONITOR and black-MONITOR with it for classical, but we can discuss this further in the LZ A7 thread so as not to derail this one.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,454 of 3,867

Hoping the LZ A7 nails it for classical as does my TRI I3. To go just briefly bit off topic, if others have tried A7 for that genre, what filters / switch setting works best?
I think that the Shozy Form 1.1, the Tri i3, and the LZ A7 are a really good and versatile IEM trio. I’ve just read that the i3 has an impressive soundstage for symphonic music. I think the LZ A7 is really good for classical music. Black Monitor and Silver Monitor are good go-to tunings for classical IMO, though Silver Monitor may be too intense for some music. I’m sure you’ll thoroughly enjoy it.

Nov 30, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #1,455 of 3,867
Got my believes today! Didn't realize they were delivered just past noon. Checked the tracking at 9 and saw they were delivered! Sitting in my mailbox for 9 hours lol, valuable listening time lost. Pics in the KB EAR Impressions thread. Listening to them with the stock cable and Radius deep mount tips through the Qudelix-5k. Don't want to comment too much on the sound yet, but I like what I'm hearing so far!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back