TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 24, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #106 of 3,867
so are they catching up to your much more pricier IEMs?
I need more time to give a proper answer to this but soundstage is wide, mids and vocals are smooth and sweet and bass is clearly there. Given the price tag it might be a bit unfair to put them against totl level iems but let's see what happens. They are a no brainer as a daily beater, although the ISN H40 seem to be a strong contender too. It never ends doesn't it? :D

Jan 24, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #107 of 3,867
I will when I get some time and after getting a bit more time with these. Initial impression that that the EJ07 is the king of separation, K3003 is great at getting the whole spectrum without bloating or emphasising anything but it can be a bit boring when compared to EJ07. What immediately struck me with the TRI I3 is how sweet the mids and vocals are. Something about the mids is just smooth and so easy to listen to.
I'll try to get more detailed info later. Keep in mind I am only some dude who spends more money than he should on these things and not even an amateur reviewer :)

Thanks! It's a good start. Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions.

I'm pretty amateur as well.

Hows the mids and treble on the ej07 vs k3003 and i3?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #109 of 3,867
We should get a name, enthusiast sounds a lot like, hehehe I consider my self the same
Dedicated Hobbyist is the term I like to use for myself....

Seriously though, in your sig I'm jealous. Is the cupid or a6 or Rah worth it if I already have these and the spring 1 and tape. Is the Rah a big step up in bass?

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #110 of 3,867
We should get a name, enthusiast sounds a lot like, hehehe I consider my self the same
There's no denying that the pleasure of listening to high quality sound is quite unique. I haven't looked back since being blown away by the Westone UM2 back in the days when expensive iems were not the norm. I am just noticing that all these high quality chifi iems make it easier to be addicted. Until last year, I don't remember looking and finding so many great iems sub $300. Totally an enthusiast and a hobbyist but trying to keep it reasonable to some extent :D

Jan 25, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #113 of 3,867
Yes, but they are lighter
Sad then, the no.3 was already pushing my limit with the size :cry:

Lucky for my wallet this time though :grin:

Jan 26, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #115 of 3,867
Can anyone compare I3's size to ibasso IT04 or IT01? Interested with the i3 but concern its size...
Slightly larger than the it04 but similarly light and similar in how it protrudes from the ear. The it04 is a good analogue for how it fits. It sticks out of your ear far enough that is unlikely to cause fit issues based on the size, but also makes it no good for lying down with.

Jan 28, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #116 of 3,867
Anyone tried the i3 with the BT20s? Hopefully it doesn’t need too much juice and can be driven by Bluetooth. Also, the size isn’t too awkward combined with the adapter. Need to have my iem wireless when working with power tools.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #117 of 3,867
Hello ChefNimmo, i tried the i3 with TRN BT20s as per your query. Here's a picture for your reference.

20200128_231602.jpg
20200128_231643.jpg

I3 needs more power to drive to its full potential compared to most easy to drive iems. TRN BT20S driving the i3 is a challenge. I set up 2 scenarios for your reference:

1. BT20S - i3 - iphone:
Not ideal. Sq dops significantly. Very congested, rolled off treble, mids is so-so, sub bass is bloated. Volume upto 80%. 81%-100% volume and the sound is very distorted.

2. BT20S - i3 - AK320 via aptx connection.
( In comparison to wired option.)
Everything in SQ is reduced. Treble extension and clarity reduced. Vocals pushed back, reduced details, lows lack details. Sound stage reduced.

i3 sounds best if wired. I paired my i3 to penon GS cable. i3's SQ also scales up, dependent on source and amp driving power. It sound good with my AK320 and sound best on my AK Sp1k + amp.

If you're looking for a BT option I can recommend BT20S to kz zs10 pro. It's a budget option, sounds good for the price and easy to drive even with cellphones and sound better with dap with aptx connection.

Hope it helps.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #119 of 3,867
Hello ChefNimmo, i tried the i3 with TRN BT20s as per your query. Here's a picture for your reference.

I3 needs more power to drive to its full potential compared to most easy to drive iems. TRN BT20S driving the i3 is a challenge. I set up 2 scenarios for your reference:

1. BT20S - i3 - iphone:
Not ideal. Sq dops significantly. Very congested, rolled off treble, mids is so-so, sub bass is bloated. Volume upto 80%. 81%-100% volume and the sound is very distorted.

2. BT20S - i3 - AK320 via aptx connection.
( In comparison to wired option.)
Everything in SQ is reduced. Treble extension and clarity reduced. Vocals pushed back, reduced details, lows lack details. Sound stage reduced.

i3 sounds best if wired. I paired my i3 to penon GS cable. i3's SQ also scales up, dependent on source and amp driving power. It sound good with my AK320 and sound best on my AK Sp1k + amp.

If you're looking for a BT option I can recommend BT20S to kz zs10 pro. It's a budget option, sounds good for the price and easy to drive even with cellphones and sound better with dap with aptx connection.

Hope it helps.
Cheers!

AMAZING Thank you Jackomik!!! That was very kind of you to be so prompt. I’ll really like to not have to use cables, heathen I know. I’m currently driving the Shozy 1.1 with the BT20s and it’s actually really nice and seems to be getting better now I have about 30hrs on them.

I think that unless I go back to a desk Job again, I might need to pass on the i3 and look at the H40 or voyager 3 and hope they work a bit better with the BT20s.

Jan 28, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #120 of 3,867
AMAZING Thank you Jackomik!!! That was very kind of you to be so prompt. I’ll really like to not have to use cables, heathen I know. I’m currently driving the Shozy 1.1 with the BT20s and it’s actually really nice and seems to be getting better now I have about 30hrs on them.

I think that unless I go back to a desk Job again, I might need to pass on the i3 and look at the H40 or voyager 3 and hope they work a bit better with the BT20s.

H40 will have hissing with BT20s since BT20s made hissing with sensitive IEMs and H40 is quite sensitive IEMs, I can't talk precisely since i dont have BT20s with MMCX to pair with H40 but careful for hissing. but they are relatively easier to drive (and scale better with decent sources).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back