TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Jan 13, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #61 of 3,867
Applied only when playing hip hop, r&b, rock music (add 2dBs below 100hz for rap music)

Classical and jazz, I don’t feel need for EQ.. stock tuning is great as is.
Would you also share the other frequencies (I see the curve is modified since 20hz).
Thanks a lot!:)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #62 of 3,867
Tin Hifi P1 is "nothing without EQ"! Well It really sounds more well balanced and rounded with strong EQ
I compared it with 9038s and in relation to the tri it sounds super boring and flat.

@Infoseeker postet a typical pdv2 EQ just at the moment in another thread
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tin-hifi-p1-impressions.909334/page-72#post-15413564
Yes, but with EQ. As I only feel it would need around 4 to 6 Db at 31hz and 4 to 2.5 db at 62hz while everything else can be left alone. With some JVC eartips to tame the treble and open up the soundstage. With no EQ, in all honesty it is the low end that is lacking while mids and treble are great. That boost in the low end is what gives the warmth and extra needed kick and rumble, especially when it has heaps of juice running it. Without EQ it is a very neutral slightly boring listen. But mids and treble are superb. Once that low end is EQd, it's so much better and honestly kicks much harder than some dynamic in ears I have. Hell it even hits harder than the Azla 01r MK2 and Audiosense T800

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #63 of 3,867
Finally got mine too, initial impressions -> One word "Authority"... Bass is tight and has a rumble, Mids are forward, clear and crisp, treble is perfect, just like P1... No sibilant or shouty. It feels uncolored which I like a lot.

Jan 13, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #64 of 3,867
Yes, but with EQ. As I only feel it would need around 4 to 6 Db at 31hz and 4 to 2.5 db at 62hz while everything else can be left alone. With some JVC eartips to tame the treble and open up the soundstage. With no EQ, in all honesty it is the low end that is lacking while mids and treble are great. That boost in the low end is what gives the warmth and extra needed kick and rumble, especially when it has heaps of juice running it. Without EQ it is a very neutral slightly boring listen. But mids and treble are superb. Once that low end is EQd, it's so much better and honestly kicks much harder than some dynamic in ears I have. Hell it even hits harder than the Azla 01r MK2 and Audiosense T800

Of course and no question that the P1 sounds so complete with good eq!!
The problem is allays if you compare directly than you choose what sounds better to you that moment.

P1 was my first good IEM directly together with pdv2... and i am glad tape and tri i3 are at least same.. i really like this soundsignature of planar/electrostatic stuff..

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #65 of 3,867
Of course and no question that the P1 sounds so complete with good eq!!
The problem is allays if you compare directly than you choose what sounds better to you that moment.

P1 was my first good IEM directly together with pdv2... and i am glad tape and tri i3 are at least same.. i really like this soundsignature of planar/electrostatic stuff..
I have the RHA CL2 and passed on the P1 since they were basically a cheaper, even more bass light version of the CL2 (the CL2 is completely closed, no ports, with a thicker diaphram so can move more air than the P1). This 8mm DD easily beats the CL2 in terms of quantity and "realism" factor of the bass regardless of EQ.

For me, a planar will never do bass quite right unless you make a huge, huge driver ,even then, the 30mm isine20 20 still lacks quantity and presence. They can go low, just like a BA, they just lack presence and authority due to lower air movement/excursion limits of the drivers.

My ideal pair would be essentially be this pair but with a larger beryllium DD, an extra BA for the lower treble, and either a piezo or the sonion estat. But this Shell is already pushing it, size wise.

I have about 20 hours on mine and the bass is the most surprising part so far. These sound really, really good with no EQ or tweaking... Easy recommendation versus the tape and spring 1 for those who listen with no EQ or from a weaker source.

I think this is a pair @Hawaiibadboy would really appreciate.

Jan 13, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #66 of 3,867
exactly! they sound pretty good from top to bottom. good synergy with all the built in drivers.
not the weakness of the tapes but comparable sound...really a recommendation for that prize.."sounds good without tweaking"

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #68 of 3,867
How is overall clarity and detail retrieval compared to the Tin P1? I heard the mids sound slightly at the back but it might fix after burn in.

Exactly no-one said so. There are plenty of comments on the mids in this very short thread and the discovery thread as well.

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #69 of 3,867
How is overall clarity and detail retrieval compared to the Tin P1? I heard the mids sound slightly at the back but it might fix after burn in.
Maybe you're going off my comment. Vocals aren't recessed, but now after 40+ hours on them, I'm not hearing the vocals being spread out (to the left and right) like I was before.... They weren't quite in focus at first, but they were never recessed or seemingly far away.

Looks like it was burn in issue. The alternatives were a channel imbalance, being out of phase (a downside of mmcx I hadn't thought of until now), or being a tuning choice.

Jan 14, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #70 of 3,867
Maybe you're going off my comment. Vocals aren't recessed, but now after 40+ hours on them, I'm not hearing the vocals being spread out (to the left and right) like I was before.... They weren't quite in focus at first, but they were never recessed or seemingly far away.

Looks like it was burn in issue. The alternatives were a channel imbalance, being out of phase (a downside of mmcx I hadn't thought of until now), or being a tuning choice.
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse. I was speaking with DSnuts and another headfier that has the Tin P1, Toneking P10 and Tri I3. They both said mids sounded not recessed but "Spread out" is a good word to describe it. But they also mentioned after a bit more burn in, they become good and normal. But they did say the P10 has the warmest tuning while I3 is neutral with slight warmth and P1 has the fastest more energetic sound but lows are light compared to the other two.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #71 of 3,867
Sorry I didn't mean to confuse. I was speaking with DSnuts and another headfier that has the Tin P1, Toneking P10 and Tri I3. They both said mids sounded not recessed but "Spread out" is a good word to describe it. But they also mentioned after a bit more burn in, they become good and normal. But they did say the P10 has the warmest tuning while I3 is neutral with slight warmth and P1 has the fa

These sound pretty energetic and can handle power.... Too much so. I just took them out of my ears because they were ringing. Haven't had to do that except with the legend x.... I'm listening too loud because I can without the sound quality being degraded.

I'm very impressed with this 8mm DD... Although, It makes me wonder what the frequency range of the BA driver in here is, I think the planar is handling up higher than I'd have guessed given the ability of these to go so loud without a loss of quality.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #73 of 3,867
Got enough burnin on the i3 and hooked them to my 9038s an pc... wow.. really amzing.. i just needed to put in dekoni foam because i hate most tips in terms of comfort.. but especially jazz and classic sounds amazing now and they have a punch in bass.. really wow.. new thick silver plated acousti silver cable is wesoem with those to some point where it is like limbo dancing below drilling :wink: but never to much..

i listen to my flacs random up and down and can with them with anything.. drum and bass kicks , bjork can scream at you, sinatra is swinging....
Really happy with them now..everything sounds right on them and 9038s is revealing like UV light on the blankets of a shabby hooker hotel..

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #74 of 3,867
Got enough burnin on the i3 and hooked them to my 9038s an pc... wow.. really amzing.. i just needed to put in dekoni foam because i hate most tips in terms of comfort.. but especially jazz and classic sounds amazing now and they have a punch in bass.. really wow.. new thick silver plated acousti silver cable is wesoem with those to some point where it is like limbo dancing below drilling :wink: but never to much..

i listen to my flacs random up and down and can with them with anything.. drum and bass kicks , bjork can scream at you, sinatra is swinging....
Really happy with them now..everything sounds right on them and 9038s is revealing like UV light on the blankets of a shabby hooker hotel..
Yep, I have about 75 hours on mine and I can say confidently I prefer them to the spring 1 and shuoer tape regardless of EQ/DSP already. These very small planars seem to act like a detail microscope of sorts.... Especially in configuration with a DD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back