TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #721 of 3,867
I thought that OI doubles when you use the balanced output vs the SE output, rather than cuts in half?

F42C1E8C-CEC8-49E6-A4B4-F44CC23367BB.jpeg

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #722 of 3,867
As noted not all balanced outputs are superior to unbalanced nor the other way around...it depends on how well the technology is implemented and how well it complements other elements of your chain. I've read that on some DAPS / amps offering balanced and unbalanced, more care and attention is given to design of the balanced circuit thus it sounds better, but that is a design choice as much as intrinsic to the technology.
Yeah, definitely is a design choice as much as anything given that there are still serial offenders out there not using fully balanced wiring. Frankly that's why I prefer the DAP solution since it nips that in the bud generally.

Hiby is one who does it by price point and I think had a good philosophy on it. At the cheaper level like the R3 pro, the 3.5mm is close to as good as balanced, but by the Hiby R6 Pro the 3.5mm port is honestly just for sets you don't have cables for and frankly not how the DAP was really intended to perform the best.

I mean, I totally understand the not fully balanced stuff frankly though. I want to hook RCA cables up to an amp and have it output to 4.4mm, but I understand I'm not actually getting a true +/- balanced signal, but I still want it to work. People just want to plug their stuff in and have it work, so this may further contribute to the naysayers with this particular bit of tech..... Some may be unknowingly using balanced wiring but really receiving a single ended signal.

Sep 20, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #723 of 3,867
Many of you buy silver cables to tame bass and coper cables to warm up. Don't be scared to let others know that. The truth is important. Don't hide thinking you will look silly openly saying cables can make differences. Be honest. If you believe that then say so.....if not then debate it.

Sep 20, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #724 of 3,867
After ordering at a premium price at Amazon, the delivery of these was pushed out to tomorrow from yesterday. I might have been better off ordering from China with air express after all.

With regard to balanced vs single ended....before I tried it; I thought the balanced thing was malarkey. Then I purchased the Cayin N5II and discovered how nice balanced can be. It was hard to describe; but the sound opened up a bit. Combination of noise floor and power I think. I ended up dropping my desire for the Chord Mojo after hearing balanced on the Cayin (the Mojo is only single ended). The HiBy R5 (my other unit) sounds good in balanced also.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #725 of 3,867
Speaking of cables, it looks like the NiceHCK range is on deep discount again on AE this week, so if you missed your chance to pick up cables during the 8/28 sale, now's your chance :)

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #726 of 3,867
1600621599471.jpeg

I wasn‘t questioning your data, I‘m just confused, and am looking for some clarification. I just thought that when running balanced it doubles the OI, perhaps it’s not that simple? I just remembered this article.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

“....two separate output amplifiers are required in a voltage-balanced amplifier, and each must drive one half of the transducer's load impedance. The output noise will double because there are two amplifiers instead of one. The damping factor will degrade by a factor of 2 because both amplifiers contribute to the source impedance of the balanced amplifier (output impedance is doubled).”

Sep 20, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #727 of 3,867

I wasn‘t questioning your data, I‘m just confused, and am looking for some clarification. I just thought that when running balanced it doubles the OI, perhaps it’s not that simple? I just remembered this article.
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better

“....two separate output amplifiers are required in a voltage-balanced amplifier, and each must drive one half of the transducer's load impedance. The output noise will double because there are two amplifiers instead of one. The damping factor will degrade by a factor of 2 because both amplifiers contribute to the source impedance of the balanced amplifier (output impedance is doubled).”
I wonder if the author of this quote has their ducks in line. Maybe we aren't talking about voltage balanced amplifiers as a starting point (I am not a EE). I also think that most units have two circuits for balanced that come into play, not one so we aren't dividing up just one amp.

But as far as I know it; almost every implementation of balanced output doubles the voltage and lowers noise.

There are some assumptions in that analysis that are off base methinks. Exactly what, I don't know. Kind of reminds me of the analysis that birds and bees can't fly.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #728 of 3,867
Speaking of cables, it looks like the NiceHCK range is on deep discount again on AE this week, so if you missed your chance to pick up cables during the 8/28 sale, now's your chance :)
Not for the ones that I ordered, on the last sale
1600732050306.png

I really wish the Postmaster General would stop messing with the U.S. postal system. So that I can get my KBear 5N cable, in case I want to buy more, during this month's "sale".
1600732318588.png

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #729 of 3,867
Not for the ones that I ordered, on the last sale

I really wish the Postmaster General would stop messing with the U.S. postal system. So that I can get my KBear 5N cable, in case I want to buy more, during this month's "sale".
Yep, the free AE shipping from China to the US has been very quick, and packages have even gone through US Customs pretty quick lately, but the longest time is once in the hands of the USPS.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #730 of 3,867
So the i3 showed up today. RIght away installed Xelastic tips and a 4.4 balanced cable (tripowin). Still in hour 1 or 2 so far. Break in is not required to enjoy these out of the box by the way.

Using the HiBy R5 which has scads of power; which it would seem this unit wants to make the planars sing.

So far my impression is quite good for the sound. They do a nice job on bass and vocals as others have stated. Imaging is already quite nice.

I suppose if there might be a weaker spot it might be the high end which is really very good but not necessarily TOTL. If I were trying to top these maybe I would go with the approach of having two BA devices for the high end in each ear (like the Legacy l5 which is getting great initial reviews). But for $150 (well I paid $170 because I wanted to go through Amazon USA) these are a good value. Maybe a great value.

This hobby is getting me crazy lately. The number of great units at $350 or less is astounding. Based on input from others and my experience, we are seeing the LZ A7; Mangird Tea, Legacy L5, and the i3. The L3 is good too but so far I am liking the i3 more. Oh, these do leave the sister BLON 03 in the dust. Not that there is anything wrong with the 03 either.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #731 of 3,867
So the i3 showed up today. RIght away installed Xelastic tips and a 4.4 balanced cable (tripowin). Still in hour 1 or 2 so far. Break in is not required to enjoy these out of the box by the way.

Using the HiBy R5 which has scads of power; which it would seem this unit wants to make the planars sing.

So far my impression is quite good for the sound. They do a nice job on bass and vocals as others have stated. Imaging is already quite nice.

I suppose if there might be a weaker spot it might be the high end which is really very good but not necessarily TOTL. If I were trying to top these maybe I would go with the approach of having two BA devices for the high end in each ear (like the Legacy l5 which is getting great initial reviews). But for $150 (well I paid $170 because I wanted to go through Amazon USA) these are a good value. Maybe a great value.

This hobby is getting me crazy lately. The number of great units at $350 or less is astounding. Based on input from others and my experience, we are seeing the LZ A7; Mangird Tea, Legacy L5, and the i3. The L3 is good too but so far I am liking the i3 more. Oh, these do leave the sister BLON 03 in the dust. Not that there is anything wrong with the 03 either.
Congrats @originalsnuffy. My TRI I3 are on their way from China, should have spent a bit more to expedite as you did. I am wondering which Xelastic tips you chose and how you think they work for fit and sound quality with I3 versus stock or other aftermarkets.

Thanks, and enjoy your new IEM!

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #732 of 3,867
Xelastic are the sticky version of the Azla line. I went with ML size but that is based on your ears. I found the Xelastic were a good match with the ThieAudio Legacy L3 and these looked similar so I went with that. I am still in hour 2 with these but they are crazy good. First pair I have heard that can rival my favorite pair; the FLC 8D.

I have heard great things about Planars and now I know why.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #733 of 3,867
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #734 of 3,867
To clarity, they are the sticky variance of the Azla short line.

Having all of azla lines, xelastec is more to short line like @Slater said, because nozzle length is similar, but shape is a bit different, where azla short is more rounded, the xelastec have longer umbrella proportion. Soundwise, they are different too due the material.
Seal award goes to xelastec, the material used is really sticky (that can be double sword for us that collecting dust and earwax literally, very easy to get dirty) that give perfect seal and not easily break at all. But on the same time, the material used also "absorb" sound especially highs as much, or on another words, they don't resonance naturally, similar like foam eartips, so high extension can be different with this xelastec. for ringing, and glaring IEMs, they can be perfect match, but for already high tamed IEMs, they can make sound more dull.
i3 have relatively very safe trebles, the boosted part is on 3khz high mids here, so xelastec is actually not my preference because of emphasize upper mids while tame highs. Just my 2 cents but everything of course back to your preferences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back