TRI earphone impressions - I4 and I3, Starlight, NEW Starsea
Sep 18, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #691 of 3,867
A bit sad relying on these 'survival' formulations. What about Mescal and Ayahuasca. C'mon we 'oldies' explored a bit. Makes the music special.
The throwing up part helps with Tinnitus. I used to ask my buddy Casey Jones to help out with doing the graphs on my reviews but now he is too busy driving his train.

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #692 of 3,867
I'm treble sensitive, and I think the TRI I3 could do with a slight bit more treble extension/sparkle. The stock tuning borders almost on darkish for the treble. It could really be TOTL end game tuning with that little bit more treble (but not going the other extreme into harshness/sibilant territory).

Another small nitpick is there's an occasional 3 kHz hot spike with certain music, especially with louder volumes (Fletcher Munson curve). It isn't there most of the time though.

But overall nothing much to complain for the price, it is one of my top 5 IEMs now and I'm very happy with the tuning.
I'm taking my first dive into an upgrade cable:
KBEAR 4 Core 5N UPOCC Singel Silver Copper Litz
Might actually get delivered today.

Looks like another sale is coming about in 3 days, said cable will be $45 USD, at the AE, official store

Sep 18, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #693 of 3,867

Looks like another sale is coming about in 3 days, said cable will be $45 USD, at the AE, official store

Looks great. Let us know your thoughts before the sale ends....it's very tempting.

Sep 18, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #694 of 3,867

There's something mental I have with cables now where they're all so cheap that I have a really hard time paying more than $30 for a cable unless I get something really exotic. Cable options and prices have really dropped hugely in the last couple of years. This latest group of 4 core liitz pure silver cables for less than $20 is absurd. I bought my first "cheap" pure silver cable about 2 years ago for $65 during an Ali sale. Seemed like a bargain at the time....

Sep 18, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #695 of 3,867
Just received the Tri I3 today, and putting them through their paces now.

So far, I really like what I hear. I still need to try different tips and more tracks to get a full sense of them.

I did want to ask what the recommended mod is for these? I seem to remember seeing something about the nozzle mesh, but I can’t remember what the details were and I can’t find it with search.

TIA!

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #697 of 3,867

So far, I really like what I hear. I still need to try different tips and more tracks to get a full sense of them.

I did want to ask what the recommended mod is for these? I seem to remember seeing something about the nozzle mesh, but I can’t remember what the details were and I can’t find it with search.

TIA!

Post #228 of 696 and onwards.

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #698 of 3,867
I tried various cables on my i3, balanced, silver plated, 16 core, hybrid, etc. and found the best sound was with the stock cable. All the others changed the balance slightly and didn't sound right.

Out of interest is the stock cable you have the same as in @hydroid's post? Here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri-earphone-impressions-currently-i4-and-i3.921113/post-15868113

If that is the stock cable you got, it is a new stock cable which is similar to the Starlight cable. Very good cable, sounds good, feels good and looks good.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #699 of 3,867
Out of interest is the stock cable you have the same as in @hydroid's post? Here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tri-earphone-impressions-currently-i4-and-i3.921113/post-15868113

If that is the stock cable you got, it is a new stock cable which is similar to the Starlight cable. Very good cable, sounds good, feels good and looks good.
The cable in the picture looks very similar to the one supplied with the Tin T4. My i3 cable is copper coloured and different from that. You can see an image of it on my review.

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #700 of 3,867

TIA!

The usual take-out-the-nylon-mesh-damper-that-made-bloated-bass thing @Slater , there is one behind the grill. However, they can fix the bass a bit, and give more clarity, but that 3khz small bump isn't fixable unless with accurate EQ

Here my measurement back then :

Alright here the I3 measurements :

as usual measured with my rig IEC711 clone coupler, run through apple dongle (USB type C variant), measure with REW, with sine sweep method. similar with Crin's.
Resonance peak couldn't be set exactly on 8khz on I3 because of large shell, the maximum fit i can get is nearly 7.5khz, not much differences in results though. Crin also couldn't get resonance peak set on 8khz. Don't worry that isn't big issue.

FR by DynamicEars - Tri I3.jpg
default Tri i3 L+R unit

FR by DynamicEars - Tri I3 Filterless.jpg
filterless Tri i3 L+R unit

FR by DynamicEars - Tri I3 Default vs Filterless.jpg
comparison between Default with cloth nylon filter VS filterless
the filter reducing high mids as expected, but only a little very subtle differences, but the side bad effect is bloated bass like similar cloth mesh used on other IEMs (BL03, Spring 1, H40) or maybe better way to say is "more bloated" compared to filterless, bad air flow is the culprit.

FR by DynamicEars - Tri I3 Mods Comparison.jpg
I did several mods to experiment :

dark blue : filterless
red : with micropore tape, covering 3/4 nozzle with the BA shaded by micropore tape (1/4 opening part is not above BA), note : there is a BA on the nozzle
green : default I3 with nylon cloth filter
tosca : small cut 5mm length of soft density sponge put into nozzle without covering BA, and then 3/4 micropore tape covering on nozzle end
purple : long cut 10mm length of soft density sponge put into nozzle without covering BA, no micropore at all
orange : long cut 10mm length of soft density sponge put into nozzle without covering BA, and then 3/4 micropore tape covering on nozzle end

Best tune is on tosca line, reducing high mids to be more balanced, but i notice there is a clarity reduction. No matter what, as i would to damper the 3khz protrude part, I can't do that, too much damper will reduce the 2khz more, so best so far is on red line, similar with default tuning, but more better texture, better bass tightness (no bloat), must resist the 3khz, you can just EQ the 3khz and 8khz a bit to your likeness and reducing bass also.

Hopefully this helps. Cheers!

Sep 19, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #701 of 3,867
Different ears........................for me the TRi i3 hasn't got a spicy treble. I would like more spice. Mind you I like very spicy curries. Nada (naga) chilli. I think it's a great IEM. Well thought out and not just throwing different drivers together and charging $500. Like the Blon 03 a 'peoples' IEM.
Had the same thought. For me more sparkle the better. It's just my preference though so there's really nothing wrong with the tri i3's treble.
I've done on my i3 the idea shared by @DynamicEars nozzle mod on my other iem. Removing the mesh dampener behind the metal grill of the tri i3.
I can here better details and sparkle. The bass still present and the mids still crisp.
It's worth trying since it's reversible so long as carefully not damaging the mesh dampener so it can be returned back if you don't like the sound after the mod.

Attachments

• 20200916_230158.jpg
    20200916_230158.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 0
Sep 19, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #702 of 3,867
There's something mental I have with cables now where they're all so cheap that I have a really hard time paying more than $30 for a cable unless I get something really exotic. Cable options and prices have really dropped hugely in the last couple of years. This latest group of 4 core liitz pure silver cables for less than $20 is absurd. I bought my first "cheap" pure silver cable about 2 years ago for $65 during an Ali sale. Seemed like a bargain at the time....
I placed two orders on the same day:
1. Nicehck C16-3 & the LitzPS 4N Litz Pure Silver; which is now on the Tri i3
2. KBEAR 4 Core 5N UPOCC Singel Silver Copper Litz

Still awaiting the KBear cable; once it's in, I'll make the unfair comparison to the $17 USD Nicehck 4N

Cables Nicehck.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #703 of 3,867
I bought some cheap chifi cables but still doesn’t improve original IEM cable i own.
Maybe I’d try ISN H16, Penon OS849 or PW audio N.10

Sep 19, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #704 of 3,867
I bought some cheap chifi cables but still doesn’t improve original IEM cable i own.
Maybe I’d try ISN H16, Penon OS849 or PW audio N.10
The ISN 16 series of cables (I have the S16, and C16) are extremely thick cables. They are really high quality, sound great, but are not the sort of cable to wear anywhere but the sofa. Cannot really be worn outside or running around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back