Treble-centric headphones...?
Aug 27, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:
V6 is probably your best  bet, no emphasized bass and flat midrange, with fairly forward highs. Usually highend headphones roll-off in the treble region by a good 10dB or so by 10-15kHz as our ears are more sensitive there, V6's frequency response measures flat all the way.

Shure SRH940 would be another option whit similar response and has better extension in the highs, the V6 starts rolling of after 10kHz but are very forward in the highs up to that point. AD700 would also be an option.

This is very wrong.  You don't understand how to read these graphs.  There is an "ideal curve" that represents neutral.  You can think of it like a scale that's not zero'ed out.  Those dips are not dips to the human ear, they are dips only relevant to the measurement technique. 

Most high end headphones MOST CERTAINLY DO NOT roll off the treble.  This is the problem with objective data, if it's read incorrectly, it can lead to less understanding which isn't the goal.  Hopefully. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #17 of 34
Those headroom curves are horrendously smooth-filtered and adjusted to exaggerate certain things. Tyll's InnerFidelity measurements are much more accurate and have much higher resolution.

But even that is not the full story as sharp dips tend to not actually be dips but ringing, and ringing in general cannot be represented in FR curves.

Aug 27, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 34
And Tyll has an ideal curve as well.  Notice how all the best headphones are flat from bass through midrange, then dip, then peak at 9k, then dip and peak again.  That's not their actual response, that's what his measurement rig is adding to their response.  it doesn't mean they all actually peak at 9k. 

Aug 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #19 of 34
Quote:
Are there any headphones that are bright and emphasize the treble at the same time as NOT emphasizing the midrange? And preferably, with subdued bass as well?

Welcoming suggestions of all price ranges, and open or closed.

Wow, and I mean wow!  I never ever though that I'd have a chance to recommend the Sennheiser HD 215 to anyone as a possible option.  But gosh darn it you just said all the magic words that made it possible. 
eek.gif
  Here's my recent review of it.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #21 of 34
OP, have you tried the SR325i?  They're on a completely different level of treble than the others.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
V6 is probably your best  bet, no emphasized bass and flat midrange, with fairly forward highs. Usually highend headphones roll-off in the treble region by a good 10dB or so by 10-15kHz as our ears are more sensitive there, V6's frequency response measures flat all the way.

Shure SRH940 would be another option whit similar response and has better extension in the highs, the V6 starts rolling of after 10kHz but are very forward in the highs up to that point. AD700 would also be an option.

Are they really that bright and or fatiguing?

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:
Are they really that bright and or fatiguing?

Depends on the person. People say its unbearable and very very harsh but I can listen to them for like 10 hours straight with no problem. I think they are weak in the mids and they do have slamming bass. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #26 of 34
I'm kind of a noob, but I used to have the Koss ProDJ100's and currently Portapros.. and tried some other things but I don't really have anything to compare it to sorry. I listen to rock and electronic and cymbals really stand out as well as the bass. It's the kind of headphone you'll either really love or hate. There's a good review that explains it exactly. If you have a local Sony Store they will price match with Amazon, which is what I did and if you don't like it just return it. Honestly that's the best way to try headphones for about 2 weeks. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/6149/my-sony-mdr-v6-review-extremely-long

Also I forgot to add they are a little more artificial than natural. It is slightly noticeable VS the Portapro and ProDJ100's. Unamped with an iPod touch 2G they sound pretty bad, but I use them for home use with my computer and they sound fine. 

Aug 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:
I'm kind of a noob, but I used to have the Koss ProDJ100's and currently Portapros.. and tried some other things but I don't really have anything to compare it to sorry. I listen to rock and electronic and cymbals really stand out as well as the bass. It's the kind of headphone you'll either really love or hate. There's a good review that explains it exactly. If you have a local Sony Store they will price match with Amazon, which is what I did and if you don't like it just return it. Honestly that's the best way to try headphones for about 2 weeks. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/6149/my-sony-mdr-v6-review-extremely-long

Also I forgot to add they are a little more artificial than natural. It is slightly noticeable VS the Portapro and ProDJ100's. Unamped with an iPod touch 2G they sound pretty bad, but I use them for home use with my computer and they sound fine. 

Thanks, probrably too bright for me. Does Sony make another phone similar but not as treble forward?

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #28 of 34
Thanks.

Some suggested the Sony MDR-SA5000 would be absolutely perfect, but those are discontinued...

I suppose I could try to get them used but I also don't like buying discontinued headphones (just a personal preference).

...is there anything that sounds similar to the MDR-SA5000 and is still in production?

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:
Don't they have a very forward mid-range as well, though?

To me, the highs were so piercing (and fatiguing at moderate volumes) that the midrange didn't feel forward. Also from memory the aluminium gave the whole sound a much colder feel than the others. 
You may still find the mids to be a little too forward, as they still share most of the 'SR' line's sound qualities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back