Treble-centric headphones...?
Jul 29, 2012 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Are there any headphones that are bright and emphasize the treble at the same time as NOT emphasizing the midrange? And preferably, with subdued bass as well?

Most of the headphones I hear about also have a prominent midrange/upper midrange if they have a prominent treble, OR they are V-shaped with loud treble and bass and recessed mids. I'd like to hear something with de-emphasized mids and bass and prominent treble - just interested in that particular sound signature.

Welcoming suggestions of all price ranges, and open or closed.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 34
The DT990, Sony SA5000 offers great treble details without toomuch bass.

Jul 29, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 34
Hi,

The DT770 250Ohm model has a lot of treble and not much else.

Aug 13, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 34
Isn't the Sony V6 more V-shaped (strong bass AND treble) rather than purely treble centric?

Basically what I'm looking for are Grado's with weaker bass and without the forward midrange!!

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #9 of 34
V6 is probably your best  bet, no emphasized bass and flat midrange, with fairly forward highs. Usually highend headphones roll-off in the treble region by a good 10dB or so by 10-15kHz as our ears are more sensitive there, V6's frequency response measures flat all the way.

Shure SRH940 would be another option whit similar response and has better extension in the highs, the V6 starts rolling of after 10kHz but are very forward in the highs up to that point. AD700 would also be an option.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
Are there any headphones that are bright and emphasize the treble at the same time as NOT emphasizing the midrange? And preferably, with subdued bass as well?

Most of the headphones I hear about also have a prominent midrange/upper midrange if they have a prominent treble, OR they are V-shaped with loud treble and bass and recessed mids. I'd like to hear something with de-emphasized mids and bass and prominent treble - just interested in that particular sound signature.

Welcoming suggestions of all price ranges, and open or closed.

Thanks in advance.

MDR-SA5000 is exactly what you need.

Aug 27, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:
V6 is probably your best  bet, no emphasized bass and flat midrange, with fairly forward highs. Usually highend headphones roll-off in the treble region by a good 10dB or so by 10-15kHz as our ears are more sensitive there, V6's frequency response measures flat all the way.

Shure SRH940 would be another option whit similar response and has better extension in the highs, the V6 starts rolling of after 10kHz but are very forward in the highs up to that point. AD700 would also be an option.

Would you say the Shure SRH940 has a very forward mid-range as well as bright highs?

I want to avoid a forward mid-range if possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back