Travelling headphones - ath-m50 or v-moda m80/100
Oct 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pindi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm going to India in a few days for a few weeks and need some headphones to take with me. I currently use custom se535s (I love the sound signature but a bit more bass wouldn't go amiss) but I don't want to take those, they feel a bit delicate for taking to India (I've been many times and broken many headphones on hard marble floors or simply taking them out of my pockets constantly). The three I was looking at we're the m50s, m80s or m100s. I've looked around a few forums but to be honest, I'm really stretched for time as I'd need to order ASAP to get them delivered in time and I've got a thousand things to do before I leave. As such, I don't have time for my usual, long research period.

I listen to everything from foo fighters to bob Marley to jay-z. I'd need them to be hard wearing, and useful for noise isolation for the plane. Based on this, which would you guys recommend? Any different ones to these? Again, I'd love to do more research on my own but times an issue so I'd be really grateful for any help.

Thanks,
Pindi

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #2 of 6
The M50s are pretty bulky, but they provide more isolation compared to the M80s, but the M80s don't leak that badly, and they are considered to be on par with the M50s on terms of sound quality. Signature based, the M80s lack highs, but the M50s lack mids, and I would say the M80s have more bass, but M50s have slightly more soundstage. As for the M100s, I do not believe they are released yet, but they are basically a revamped Crossfade LP with sound quality on par or better than the M80s.

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 6
The M50s are the least expensive of your choices, so if you're looking for something you can quickly buy (they're also plentifully available at any music/audio store, Guitar Centre, etc) they'd be a good choice. The M80s are lighter and more portable, though they don't isolate. Build would be about equal (M80s have lots of metal, but the plastic on the M50s seem quite durable). Do you have a budget? Because the HD25-1, while more expensive than everything here except the M100s, have incredible isolation, are light and easy to carry, very solid build.

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm leaning towards the m80. By all accounts, the sound great, have crazy solid build quality and look awesome. While looks are the least of my concerns, it never hurts. I'm also liking the sound of the immortal life guarantee I think it's called.

I'd love to wait for the m100 as I'd prefer over ear as opposed to on ear for better isolation but they won't be out for a few months apparently. No budget in particular but I'm not looking to get some hd800s or edition 8s either.

Seems to me that in this price range of portable headphones, the m80, ath-m50 and hd25s seem to be the go to pairs unless I've missed some?

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the m80. By all accounts, the sound great, have crazy solid build quality and look awesome. While looks are the least of my concerns, it never hurts. I'm also liking the sound of the immortal life guarantee I think it's called.
I'd love to wait for the m100 as I'd prefer over ear as opposed to on ear for better isolation but they won't be out for a few months apparently. No budget in particular but I'm not looking to get some hd800s or edition 8s either.
Seems to me that in this price range of portable headphones, the m80, ath-m50 and hd25s seem to be the go to pairs unless I've missed some?

DT1350s, though I've never heard them. People seem to place them together with the HD25s.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the help guys. Bit the bullet and got the m80s. Amazing. I think it's the perfect choice for me. Love the sound signature and coming from the se535, the bass is brilliant. Comfortable and sturdy as hell. Just a shame the m100 aren't out yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back