Travel headphone for about 100€
Oct 17, 2012 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

nanoc

New Head-Fier
Hi! First of all, hello everybody. This is my first post in these forums.

I used to have a sennheiser px200, which weren't half bad, but not really suited for long listening sessions (because they really pressed on my ears) and, didn't isolate too much outside noise.

I fly frequently, and will probably start going to work by train, since my office changes location and the train is going to be much more convenient now, so I need something portable, that isolates me from the outer world as much as possible. I want to be able to hear the full range of the music, so ultra bass is not needed but the bass HAS to be audible (contrary to what happens with my in ear samsungs, that came with the phone) as I hate missing on parts of the music because the bass bleeds or gets drowned by the world out there. 

For 100€ I can get:

-  the sennheisers pxc250 II, which seem to have some kind of active noise reduction, but i tried them on a store, and the active noise reduction seems to be a gimmick that boosts the output of the headphones, instead of actually erasing the outer noise. (with other noise cancelling headphones, you can notice that the ambient sounds are reduced while no music is being played, something that doesn't happen with these cans).

- shure se215: no problem with active noise cancelling here. If these fit correctly, and they should as people seem to be very satisfied with them, these cans should block a fair amount of noise, plus the sound quality is supposed to be great. I won't have a headphone amp, is it mandatory to get the full potential of these little things, or am I going to be blown away even if I don't use an amp?  

- other options? (there is an Audio technica that looks a lot like the pxc250II, in ears by other brands....)

I could really use some help here... Which one would you recommend and why? 

THanks in advance!

Oct 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
Hi! First of all, hello everybody. This is my first post in these forums.

I used to have a sennheiser px200, which weren't half bad, but not really suited for long listening sessions (because they really pressed on my ears) and, didn't isolate too much outside noise.

I fly frequently, and will probably start going to work by train, since my office changes location and the train is going to be much more convenient now, so I need something portable, that isolates me from the outer world as much as possible. I want to be able to hear the full range of the music, so ultra bass is not needed but the bass HAS to be audible (contrary to what happens with my in ear samsungs, that came with the phone) as I hate missing on parts of the music because the bass bleeds or gets drowned by the world out there. 

For 100€ I can get:

-  the sennheisers pxc250 II, which seem to have some kind of active noise reduction, but i tried them on a store, and the active noise reduction seems to be a gimmick that boosts the output of the headphones, instead of actually erasing the outer noise. (with other noise cancelling headphones, you can notice that the ambient sounds are reduced while no music is being played, something that doesn't happen with these cans).

- shure se215: no problem with active noise cancelling here. If these fit correctly, and they should as people seem to be very satisfied with them, these cans should block a fair amount of noise, plus the sound quality is supposed to be great. I won't have a headphone amp, is it mandatory to get the full potential of these little things, or am I going to be blown away even if I don't use an amp?  

- other options? (there is an Audio technica that looks a lot like the pxc250II, in ears by other brands....)

I could really use some help here... Which one would you recommend and why? 

THanks in advance!

Beyerdynamic DTX-501p. This is a fantastic headphone in its' own right, but especially well suited for travel / communting. Lightwieght, comfortable, great isolation, and refined sound. My full review on these will be posted soon.

Nov 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 3
Finally, I decided to try the shures. The impressions, so far, have been great. Had the chance to try them on a 4 hour flight to Georgia and, while the sound doesn't seem as clean and clear as that of my earlier headphones (sennheisers px200), I COULD FRIGGIN LISTEN TO RAVEL'S BOLERO FROM THE VERY BEGINNING, WHILE IN A PLANE!!!!

That's awesome, now I know I can play ANY style of music I want, and not just loud music. When you can perfectly hear that dim snare, and you check the volume and it's only 16 (when you usually listened at 26/30) aaaaahhhh, that's like being in heaven. I don't have to carry big cans with me, or worry about batteries for those expensive noise cancelling phones.... just my wee shure iems and me, and my mp3 player... and beethoven, mozart, haydn, schumann, ravel, debussy, smashing pumpkins, pìxies, ramones and whoever I damn well want to listen to!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back