Tralucent T1 appreciation thread - post your experiences and questions here
Nov 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #48 of 546
Probably not. Generally speaking Solid State Drives use even less power. So battery life should last longer in actuality.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #50 of 546
Quote:
Ah yep meant the 260 mechanical HDD sorry. Figured larger space, reading all those files at the start? Or wouldn't it make a difference.

A larger HDD won't really make much of a difference in terms of speed. Only in storage capacity. With a SSD it will be a clear step up in speed. It will even make the Apple OS even more speedier as a Hard Drive is generally the slowest component.

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #51 of 546
Quote:
A larger HDD won't really make much of a difference in terms of speed. Only in storage capacity. With a SSD it will be a clear step up in speed. It will even make the Apple OS even more speedier as a Hard Drive is generally the slowest component.

Lol I should check to see if my posts are completed before posting - I meant more battery usage for larger HDDs? Yeh I have SSDs for PC and workstation - they are definitely worth it. Not sure if really required on a portable device. It would just mean faster loading of songs only right?

EDIT: And as you said less impact on battery, less heat - rest depends on GUI for Apple Ipod OS..

Nov 12, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 546
Quote:

Lol I should check to see if my posts are completed before posting - I meant more battery usage for larger HDDs? Yeh I have SSDs for PC and workstation - they are definitely worth it. Not sure if really required on a portable device. It would just mean faster loading of songs only right?

EDIT: And as you said less impact on battery, less heat - rest depends on GUI for Apple Ipod OS..

Yeah it would be faster loading times, more responsive UI, also much faster data transfer. I agree not necessary but a nice luxury to have :). I'm sure a larger drive would use a bit more power but I don't think its gonna be anything major as long as they are within the same specifications.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #53 of 546
nk77, my apologies, it should have read 240Gb HDD. And yes, it's a mechanical HDD, not SSD.

I did consider going SSD, but my priority was capacity, not speed and the price of large SSDs is insane. There's a CF converter available, but they're just not big enough and it's contained internally (of course) so not swappable.

The most important thing was to replace my dead 80Gb HDD and have the awesome sound of the iPod Video line-out back to pair with my new T1.

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #54 of 546
Quote:
nk77, my apologies, it should have read 240Gb HDD. And yes, it's a mechanical HDD, not SSD.

I did consider going SSD, but my priority was capacity, not speed and the price of large SSDs is insane. There's a CF converter available, but they're just not big enough and it's contained internally (of course) so not swappable.

The most important thing was to replace my dead 80Gb HDD and have the awesome sound of the iPod Video line-out back to pair with my new T1.

Did you so it yourself?

Nov 12, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #55 of 546
Quote:
Did you so it yourself?

Yeah. It's fairly straightforward. Once you get the case open it's just a matter of disconnecting the old drive and connecting the new one. It's a bit fiddly with the ribbon leads and their connectors, but nothing too taxing or complicated. There are some good youtube videos and a good PDF with images that I found. I'd share the link, but I just looked at it online and didn't save it. If you google "ipod video replace HDD" you'll see plenty of info and "how to's".

Nov 12, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #56 of 546
Did you so it yourself?

Yeah. It's fairly straightforward. Once you get the case open it's just a matter of disconnecting the old drive and connecting the new one. It's a bit fiddly with the ribbon leads and their connectors, but nothing too taxing or complicated. There are some good youtube videos and a good PDF with images that I found. I'd share the link, but I just looked at it online and didn't save it. If you google "ipod video replace HDD" you'll see plenty of info and "how to's".

Lucky for me I work with Techs who are electrical savy. In fact, one replaced the 3.5 jack on my Hornet. I don't see why he could not change the drives for me, if I ask nicely :) Where did you buy and what's the brand did you use?

Nov 12, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #57 of 546
Specs weren't on the site, but I did get a very quick response from Tralucent!

The specifications are as follows:-

8.4V Chargeable Battery (User replaceable)
Input Impedance 10k ohm
Output Impedance 0.1 ohm
Output Current 350mA
Output Power 1000mW / 8 ohm
Gain 3 x
Frequency Response 1hz - 100khz
Dimensions 5cm x 8.25cm x 2cm (W x L x H)
Playing Time approx. 30hours

I should add that the batteries are Li Po rechargeable and the T1 is charged via usb.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #58 of 546
Quote:

Lucky for me I work with Techs who are electrical savy. In fact, one replaced the 3.5 jack on my Hornet. I don't see why he could not change the drives for me, if I ask nicely :) Where did you buy and what's the brand did you use?

We've gone way off topic now, but I'm OK with that if others are and we'll no doubt get back on track shortly...

I got my drive here: http://www.idemigods.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=6#jTp it's a Toshiba one just like the original 80Gb HDD.

Nov 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #59 of 546
Quote:
Specs weren't on the site, but I did get a very quick response from Tralucent!

The specifications are as follows:-

8.4V Chargeable Battery (User replaceable)
Input Impedance 10k ohm
Output Impedance 0.1 ohm
Output Current 350mA
Output Power 1000mW / 8 ohm
Gain 3 x
Frequency Response 1hz - 100khz
Dimensions 5cm x 8.25cm x 2cm (W x L x H)
Playing Time approx. 30hours

I should add that the batteries are Li Po rechargeable and the T1 is charged via usb.

Thanks for this. Don't know if it was mentioned earlier but you also cannot charge and listen at the same time but I am getting 20 hours of play so not too fussed about that. Great for office usage as well as out and about and you forget to charge one day.

Also, it takes me approx 2 hours or a bit less to charge from completely flat to full charge (1 A HTC phone wall charger). Some pics coz I like seeing my pics in the recent images part of the site haha:

Aaaand back on topic...haha! 

EDIT: Bigger Pics

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #60 of 546
Strange because I am able to charge and listen at the same time although my unit does get noticeably warm so I generally don't do this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back