Tralucent T1 appreciation thread - post your experiences and questions here
Jan 18, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #256 of 546
Quote:
lol well are you at least happy to be in that hole? :p.

Better to be satiated then to be underwhelmed with your purchase :). I've never been at this point where I'm simply satisfied with what I have. That seems to be an oxymoron here on headfi. Well other than my portable sources that is lol. Depending on what will come out I'll still be checking those DAPs out :p.

You know all we human beings are greedy. 
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #257 of 546
Hey Guys,

I just received the new 1plus2 (w/silver cable) and old 1plus2, as well as the T1; I'll be spending a couple of weeks with them...

First Impressions of the T1:
  1. I think my thoughts about this amp are going to be extremely similar to those of shigzeo's... I'm thinking of copy-pasting his review and passing it off as mine!
    tongue_smile.gif
  2. The 3x gain on the amp is much, much stronger than I remembered it to be (I spent about 4 minutes with it ~3 months ago)... wishing for a gain switch for 1x...
  3. It sounds awesome! Not completely neutral, has a warm undertone, but is very transparent and extremely pleasant!
  4. The blue LED is bright, bright, bright!

Jan 21, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #258 of 546
Cool glad you like it. So far it was my favorite amp to pair with my former DX100 :). Curious to hear your imrpessions of the new and old 1Plus2 in comparison to your 334s :wink:.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #260 of 546
I posted the following on a thread about the DX100, but it is relevant here also:

I can't report on the new firmware, but I can share that I tried the Tralucent T-1 amp as per lee730's recommendation. And it is quite an amazing amp for the price, and a definite upgrade over the amp in the DX100. However, I also happened to be trying a used Continental V2 that I got on here for a good price. And yes the $529 amp is even better than the $229 T1. No surprise there given the much lower price of the T1, but the surprise is how close the T1 came to the ALO tube amp. Clarity and the ability to sort out complex music was the same on both amps. The Continental just has a certain fullness and body to the sound that the T1 can't quite match, although in most respects they are incredibly close, and the T1 actually has a very nice tone itself, just not as full and dense as the tube amp. If the Continental is out of your budget, then I would certainly recommened giving the T1 a try. Also I was using them both with the HD650s which probably is not an ideal match for the T1. With an easier to drive headphone, the differences might be even less than what  I heard.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #261 of 546
Quote:
I posted the following on a thread about the DX100, but it is relevant here also:

I can't report on the new firmware, but I can share that I tried the Tralucent T-1 amp as per lee730's recommendation. And it is quite an amazing amp for the price, and a definite upgrade over the amp in the DX100. However, I also happened to be trying a used Continental V2 that I got on here for a good price. And yes the $529 amp is even better than the $229 T1. No surprise there given the much lower price of the T1, but the surprise is how close the T1 came to the ALO tube amp. Clarity and the ability to sort out complex music was the same on both amps. The Continental just has a certain fullness and body to the sound that the T1 can't quite match, although in most respects they are incredibly close, and the T1 actually has a very nice tone itself, just not as full and dense as the tube amp. If the Continental is out of your budget, then I would certainly recommened giving the T1 a try. Also I was using them both with the HD650s which probably is not an ideal match for the T1. With an easier to drive headphone, the differences might be even less than what  I heard.

How much burn in time did you give the amp (means using them with music going through and headphones plugged in to it). My unit continued improving well past 200 hours. Probably around 300 hours it settled. The sound staging got noticeably wider and fuller. More balanced. This allowed the mids, treble and bass to shine even more due to the balance within the sound stage. I don't know how well the unit will work on full size cans but with my IEMs with the right pairing it's amazing.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #262 of 546
Quote:
How much burn in time did you give the amp (means using them with music going through and headphones plugged in to it). My unit continued improving well past 200 hours. Probably around 300 hours it settled. The sound staging got noticeably wider and fuller. More balanced. This allowed the mids, treble and bass to shine even more due to the balance within the sound stage. I don't know how well the unit will work on full size cans but with my IEMs with the right pairing its amazing.

I put about 120 hours on it by leaving it going all day and night before I compared it to the Continental. I use an Isotek burn in CD which is supposed to reduce the time needed for burn in.
Maybe I will give it some more time burning in.

Here is more about the CD: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #264 of 546
Quote:

I put about 120 hours on it by leaving it going all day and night before I compared it to the Continental. I use an Isotek burn in CD which is supposed to reduce the time needed for burn in.

Do you have headphones plugged into the amp putting strain on the amp section? If not it won't properly burn in.

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #266 of 546
Quote:

I haven't tried the T1 so I cannot compare, but having tried many other amps, I thought the Continental was the one bringing the most to the DX100, so I just got the V3. There is a lot of hiss out of the box, but apart from that it pairs very well with the DX100. But if the hiss does not go away, I might return it and get a T1 for half the price !

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #267 of 546
Quote:

Here is more about the CD: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html

Just play the songs at 1,5x speed and you can burn in about 33% faster than normal. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #270 of 546
Quote:
I haven't tried the T1 so I cannot compare, but having tried many other amps, I thought the Continental was the one bringing the most to the DX100, so I just got the V3. There is a lot of hiss out of the box, but apart from that it pairs very well with the DX100. But if the hiss does not go away, I might return it and get a T1 for half the price !

Any continental amp really is meant for full size headphones and of course, portables. If your primary cans are sensitive earphones, the T1 is a better choice. The continental has that warm, distortion-full valve sound that rocks especially with certain full size headphones. You can't replace that with a T1, which is built mainly for performance. Amps that are built flat out for performance will always sound different to amps built for ambience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back