Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #5,762 of 6,404
I have a Tralucent silver/gold cable with a 3.5mm plug. I assume that this cable has 4 separate wires that I can terminate with 4-pin plug. Is it correct?
Thank you.
true, they're separate, but wouldn't know if they're color coded or not, wiring up wrongly (out of phase) will be a bit of a disaster...

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #5,763 of 6,404
true, they're separate, but wouldn't know if they're color coded or not, wiring up wrongly (out of phase) will be a bit of a disaster...

Yes you should check the pin/wire connections at each earpiece connector and make yourself a schematic (wire diagram or pin map) so you connect the correct wire to the correct terminal on the plug.

Here's the AK schematic for balanced plug (TRRS) connections:

images

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #5,764 of 6,404
Thank you for the schematic. I will look how the wires are soldered in the existing 3-pin plug and make conclusions for at least L+ and R+ wires. As for ground wires I will check with tester against earpiece connector pins to find out which one is left/right. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #5,769 of 6,404
I'd been wondering why when listening to a few albums recently, namely vocals like Ane Brun, Amber Rubarth, their vocal image was a little to the left from usual position. The sound was quite normal just a smidgen off. Tonight I inserted my 1Plus2 and the right side cable came away from the housing (which stayed in my ear).

After reattaching the cable everything was back to normal. I have heard this before when a connection isn't being made 100%, must have been right on the edge of coming off. Anyway, I've had them about 3 months now, using Gavin's glue method this is the first time its come away. Probably a good thing, its helped me work out the issue.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #5,770 of 6,404
I'd been wondering why when listening to a few albums recently, namely vocals like Ane Brun, Amber Rubarth, their vocal image was a little to the left from usual position. The sound was quite normal just a smidgen off. Tonight I inserted my 1Plus2 and the right side cable came away from the housing (which stayed in my ear).

After reattaching the cable everything was back to normal. I have heard this before when a connection isn't being made 100%, must have been right on the edge of coming off. Anyway, I've had them about 3 months now, using Gavin's glue method this is the first time its come away. Probably a good thing, its helped me work out the issue.

Also, gently securing (lightly pushing-in) the earpiece connectors, before insertion, every time you put them on is a good preventive habit to develop. They can/will work themselves loose unless checked periodically.

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #5,771 of 6,404

Also, gently securing (lightly pushing-in) the earpiece connectors, before insertion, every time you put them on is a good preventive habit to develop. They can/will work themselves loose unless checked periodically.

I would do that although the method I've used with wood glue seals the plug on, by pushing it I'd break seal/marriage that's formed.

What I do is:

Use this craft glue. (its water based, dries clear, non-toxic, won't hurt the plastic or acrylic shells)

1) Clean the male plug and female socket so they're free of any previous craft glue.

(you can use a toothpick it just falls off with a little effort)

2)  Using the toothpick apply a thin strip of craft glue along both edges of the male plug.

(take note where to apply the glue, it must only be on the section which enters the socket neatly)

3) After both sides are lightly lined push the socket in firmly so the glue wedges in-between the female socket and plug

(Some may push out the top, this can easily be wiped off when wet with a damp rag)

4) Let them sit for 15-30 minutes or however long you can. Once the glue sets it forms a bond and you should be ok for quite a while. (3 months was my last period)

Gavin's method is a little different though virtually the same concept. He suggests to again apply thin layer of glue using a toothpick on the female socket edges then allowing it to dry and repeating until you've built up some thickness for the male socket to grip onto.

Its the same thing, its all about building up the foundations of the plug/socket so they fit tightly. 

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #5,772 of 6,404

I would do that although the method I've used with wood glue seals the plug on, by pushing it I'd break seal/marriage that's formed.

I agree with you. I do both methods too, but I really don't push hard enough to break the seal, just enough to make sure that the connectors have not come loose during storage and/or transportation since my last usage.

Once you have one fall off, you may become a bit paranoid (like me) so I check every time before I put them on...
cool.gif

Aug 5, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #5,773 of 6,404

I agree with you. I do both methods too, but I really don't push hard enough to break the seal, just enough to make sure that the connectors have not come loose during storage and/or transportation since my last usage.

Once you have one fall off, you may become a bit paranoid (like me) so I check every time before I put them on...
cool.gif

I think my main paranoia / OCD is the balanced armatures coming unglued from inside the nozzle (inside the shell). 
tongue.gif
 I am not sure what superman bonding glue is used, but I can see its marked the acrylic from the outside, kind of turned foggy and I'd like to know just how strong this is. I've heard of one unit having something rattle around inside. Plus due to heavy construction work and vibrations at our house the past 6 months I've been a little paranoid.

If anyone does know what bond is used to cure the balanced armature inside the 1Plus2 nozzle or the method used) please let me know!

Sep 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,774 of 6,404
Anyone compared Unique Melody Mentor to 1+2? To my knowledge both are kind of V-shaped sounding. 

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #5,775 of 6,404
  Anyone compared Unique Melody Mentor to 1+2? To my knowledge both are kind of V-shaped sounding. 

I wouldn't say the 1plus2 are V-shaped.  To my ears they are on the bright analytical side (using the silver/gold cable).  However, they offer a very agreeable sound signature when paired with a tube amplifier i.e. ALO Continental.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with balanced cables with the 1plus2?  I'm thinking about pairing it with the ALO Island or Theorem 720.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back