Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,761 of 6,404
My own take on the 1plus2:

[size=small]The 1plus2 Universal In Ear Monitor by Tralucent Audio defies logic. Up until now I have segregated IEMs from full-size headphones into two groups. I would trade off the large soundstage and imaging of a full-size headphone for the convenience and transportability of an IEM. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The first time I put the 1plus2 in my ears, I kept fiddling with them to make sure I had them in right. Something sounded off, strange to me. This didn't sound like an IEM. Not even really a closed headphone, but had the soundstage, air, and spaciousness of an open-air full-size headphone. My brain refused to believe it. What has been accomplished here is ground-breaking, and has shown me that compromises no longer have to be made in portable audio. The 1plus2 can go head-to-head with any earphone or headphone in production today. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The 1plus2 is a hybrid design, combining the live-air feel of a dynamic driver, and the accuracy of two balanced armatures in each ear. It makes for a very energetic and pure sound, and very cohesive. Zero timing problems between the two types of drivers in each ear. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The whole sonic signature is very clean and clear - pure. They are very revealing, so if you throw something brightly mastered at them, they will be bright. But throw high quality material at them and they will shine. They are quite neutral and natural. There's a bit of upper mid energy that keeps things lively, but for the most part, they are pretty neutral, letting the music do the talking. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Bass is tight, of very high quality, with just the right amount or dynamic reverb. Highly accurate with just enough head-shaking punch to it. These little guys extend very low, and sub-bass is clear and powerful when called upon. Being quite neutral, there's no mid-bass bump, so they will lack the punch a lot of electronic and modern music likes. However, there is certainly enough drive to satisfy anyone. The bass is less plump than the HD800, ever so slightly more reigned in. Highly accurate, with a touch of bloom. Not too dry, not too wet, just right. Pretty linear. no spikes or curves to speak of. Plenty of mid and sub-bass to satisfy. One of the highest quality bottom ends I have experienced. Truly world class. It's a classy bass - no imperfections, and it knows it - with a touch of arrogance. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Mids are unremarkable. That is one of the highest compliments I can give. They don't color, they don't distract, they are natural - on the thin side. Very true in timbre. Violins are sweet and detailed, exactly as they should sound, and vocals are crystal clear. Norah Jones on the 1plus2 is such a refreshing experience. Her voice is pure, natural and true. The mids just get out of the way and let the mids of the track take you in. They are a perfectly clean window peering into the mids of the track. There's nothing there to comment on. It's refreshing, and clean. Period. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The highs are very transparent and clear. The extend effortlessly all the way up. Texture and details from the highs fly at you with glory and grace. The highs are very present, and can be slightly sibilant at times with different cables (more on that later), but at its very "worst" the sibilance is not distracting or overbearing. The purity overcomes the flaws. There is an ever so slight metallicå tinge to the highs as compared to very open and effortless highs like the dynamic HD800, but the highs here still sound very effortless. They are just dialed down one notch from the most effortless on the planet, with the tiniest hint of glare. But this gets much better with different cables, and at its worst is a bit harsh at times with bad recordings, and at its best, nothing short of smooth, effortless, and sublime. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] One of the greatest things about this earphone is the soundstage and imaging. Nothing short of astounding here. So mush air and space, it defies what my brain expects from an IEM. Very precise imaging with a vivid and large soundstage, 3-D, with a bit of forward projection, but completely immersive. Far and away the largest soundstage and the best imaging I have ever experienced in an IEM, besting every custom and universal I have ever heard. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] I directly did an A/B comparison with the 1plus2 and HD800. The HD800 has a larger soundstage, better layering and imaging, but they are on the same playing field for the most part. The HD800 had a touch more color to the mids, while the 1plus2 is completely color-free, exuding purity. This goes to show you what an incredible job Tralucent did on these earphones. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Cables:[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The following is a summary of each cable. The cable effects the ergonomics of the fit dramatically. The 1plus2, with it's dynamic driver plus balanced armatures in not a small earphone, though it is lightweight. The stock silver cable has very thick shielding and has a mind of its own. The earphones themselves are very comfortable. I can wear them for hours, no problem, unlike many other IEMs, and I can even forget about them. They are confortable - very comfortable. They stay put without me having to fiddle with them or press them in because they slip. But the stock silver cable can make them hard to wear. If you're purchasing them new, I would highly suggest a cable upgrade for comfort, ergonomic, and sonic improvements. I have not really been a cable guy - but we are reaching an age in audio where audio devices are so revealing that cables are starting to make more of a difference than they used to. And that is definitely the case here. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Stock Silver Cable: Large soundstage, very energetic, pure sound, slightly clinical, unforgiving in detail, for critical listens. Most sibilance of the three cable offerings. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Silver/Gold: slightly diminished soundstage, just as detailed and extended, but details are not slapping you in the face quite as much. A more natural sonic signature. A slight bit of lush and richness added all the way across. A small step up in refinement, slightly less rumble in the low end, but the step up in quality makes up for it. Less sibilant. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Uber cable: Maintains large soundstage of silver cable, while maintaining or improving on the refinement and lushness of the Silver/Gold. The best sonic option. Thick, solid core wire, less easy to deal with than the Silver/Gold upgrade, but better than the stock Silver. Least Sibilant, keeps more present punchy bass from stock silver. Most lush, yet detailed. Most spacious. But the cable is solid core, and thick. So not only is it inconvenient and hard to deal with, but great care must be taken with it. Not much flexing should occur. And you certainly don't want to kink or break the wire on the inside. It really is a for-home or office cable and probably should not be used on the go. But it is definitely the best sonically. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] It is companies like Tralucent that are redefining the portable audio industry, showing that custom offering can be just as good as, or better than customs. Customs are no longer the top tier in sound, and you now have the option to not mess with the fuss of customs for superior sound. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] The 1plus2 is about pure music. Despite it's detailed and revealing nature, becoming absorbed and immersed in the music is most important, and is what is achieved here. Be prepared to hear your music as it is. This is a transparent window into your music. If it's not quality, the 1plus2 will show you that. Give it gold, and it will in turn reward you with something so pure and precious, so big and unheard of in an IEM, that your brain will reel with pleasure. [/size]
[size=small]  [/size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #2,762 of 6,404
Quote:
[size=small]The 1plus2 Universal In Ear Monitor by Tralucent Audio defies logic. Up until now I have segregated IEMs from full-size headphones into two groups. I would trade off the large soundstage and imaging of a full-size headphone for the convenience and transportability of an IEM.[/size]

Out of curiosity and to establish context, what IEMs have you experienced prior to the 1plus2? Thanks.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #2,763 of 6,404
Quote:
Out of curiosity and to establish context, what IEMs have you experienced prior to the 1plus2? Thanks.

Oh man... I think it's the variety that counts..

Shure E3C - Old School single armature
Shure 214
Westone .... 1, 2 ,3 4...

Rather than list it all out...

Check my profile:
Final Audio Design, Aurisonics, Shure, Westone, Ochakaru, Future Sonics, you name it... I've listened to it. There is certainly lots more to hear, but I know I've heard enough to be able to give a solid report. 

Context matters, thanks for the inquiry.

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #2,765 of 6,404
Great comments, Chris. Given our agreement on the Heaven VI, I take your views very seriously.

This leads to the obvious question: how do the 1Plus2 and Heaven VI compare? I realize that it is apples and oranges to some extent. I am not necessarily looking for better versus worse overall, rather what are their differences and relative strengths?

I am amazed by the timbre and 3D sound stage of the Heaven VI so that is somewhere to start. If and when you have the time.... Thanks!

size]

(Incidentally, using the "Simple (Meier)" crossfeed setting in Rockbox enhances the 3D effect with the Heaven VI, a surprise and a pleasant one at that.)

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2,766 of 6,404
Paul,

Thank you sir... I'll have to think about that. It's a bit like apples and oranges... but much more precious. The 1plus2 is also special to me like FAD is. So it's like Diamonds and Striking Gold, Vs. Apples and Oranges. Both spectacular, both so different. 

Like I say though. Price is starting to matter less and less. So yes, I definitely think the Heaven VI is just as valuable as the 1plus2. 

Lets say this for now: At the end of the day, I fall asleep with the emotional comfort of the FAD Heaven series in my ears, rather than the addicting purity and energy of the 1p2 in my ears... But mid-day? That's a different story :)

Jun 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #2,769 of 6,404
Simply superb SoundFreaq and I agree with your findings mostly. I'm glad you are liking them. The fact that you are comparing them to flagship full size headphones is what sets this IEM apart from the rest. The sound staging being on par with the HD800 and directly comparable is insane....

I was curious though on your comparison on the gold cable? Is this the new gold cable or the older one? The description reminded me of the older gold cable. The new one that I have is even more detail oriented than the silver cable. With bass impact noticeably reduced but what is left is even higher quality bass with and improved treble and mid range. Overall more detailed and the sound staging appears bigger than before, more airier sound. When I directly compared I actually found the silver to be a tad muddy in comparison which is unbelievable.....

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #2,771 of 6,404
Quote:
Hi SoundFreaq

Very nice review and very easy to understand your review
biggrin.gif

1+2 with UBER cable is heavenly SQ

We need a more affordable uber cable with better portability 
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2,772 of 6,404
Quote:
Simply superb SoundFreaq and I agree with your findings mostly. I'm glad you are liking them. The fact that you are comparing them to flagship full size headphones is what sets this IEM apart from the rest. The sound staging being on par with the HD800 and directly comparable is insane....

I was curious though on your comparison on the gold cable? Is this the new gold cable or the older one? The description reminded me of the older gold cable. The new one that I have is even more detail oriented than the silver cable. With bass impact noticeably reduced but what is left is even higher quality bass with and improved treble and mid range. Overall more detailed and the sound staging appears bigger than before, more airier sound. When I directly compared I actually found the silver to be a tad muddy in comparison which is unbelievable.....

Sounds just right.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #2,773 of 6,404
Wow! I haven't added my thoughts on these headphones because they were so different from everyone else. However, after reading SoundFreaq's excellent review, I could see how our sound preferences can lead to different conclusions.

I found the mids to be recessed, the bass lacking texture, and the decay of sharp instruments (such as drums and cymbals) was slow. The deal breaker for me is alway sibilance. It was brutal for me. While I agree with the soundstage being massive for an IEM, it seemed very artificial compared to an HD800 or even the TG334. It was almost like someone turned on the Dolby Headphone effect.

To be fair, I was leaning towards hating the IEM when I first received it because of the build quality.

It was surprising that Norah Jones was on both of our playlists for evaluating the 1plus2. Instead of massaging my eardrums with her gorgeous voice, I felt distant from her. It was like I was the only person in her audience but I was in the cheap seats watching her on a large display instead of on stage.

I didn't think the AKG3003 were as polarizing for me and I did not think their sound signature was similar.

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #2,774 of 6,404
Wow! I haven't added my thoughts on these headphones because they were so different from everyone else. However, after reading SoundFreaq's excellent review, I could see how our sound preferences can lead to different conclusions.

I found the mids to be recessed, the bass lacking texture, and the decay of sharp instruments (such as drums and cymbals) was slow. The deal breaker for me is alway sibilance. It was brutal for me. While I agree with the soundstage being massive for an IEM, it seemed very artificial compared to an HD800 or even the TG334. It was almost like someone turned on the Dolby Headphone effect.

To be fair, I was leaning towards hating the IEM when I first received it because of the build quality.

It was surprising that Norah Jones was on both of our playlists for evaluating the 1plus2. Instead of massaging my eardrums with her gorgeous voice, I felt distant from her. It was like I was the only person in her audience but I was in the cheap seats watching her on a large display instead of on stage.

I didn't think the AKG3003 were as polarizing for me and I did not think their sound signature was similar.

I heard them similarly, but I do think it's a stellar technical performer. It's just not my cup of tea.

I'm just curious if any 1P2 members have heard the Beyer DT880. The first time I listened to the 1P2, I immediately had flashbacks of my DT880. Did anyone else think this?

Jun 15, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,775 of 6,404
As much as I've come to love my 1+2, as much as my TG334, and while it has the widest soundstage of any iem I've heard, it doesn't beat an open back headphone like the HD600's soundstage. That being said, I enjoy listening to both the 1+2 and TG334 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back