Tralucent Audio 1Plus2 IEM (Now With 'New' 1Plus2.2!) Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,832 of 6,404
Quote:
The 1+2 is really good for metal/hard rock. I haven't heard the 232 but both the k3003 and 1+2 are very good with the genre. The k3003 has a bit fuller distortion guitar bite but the 1+2 is a little more detail oriented and also seems a bit faster. Both have nice airy soundstages.

Quote:
I must say the Tralucents are one of the best IEMs I've heard for metal... The clarity is unmatched and with several instruments going at it at the same time it becomes quite an ear-festival.

Thanks !..Im sure the 1+2 would be real good .. Im cradling my EX 1000 at the moment and I love everything about it when it comes to metal..the bass impact..the sparkling highs ( which have become very controlled over time)..and it plays well through my HM601 being a warm source and not too revealing. I was thinking of stepping up the game for the metal genre specifically and try out the PFE232 since I heard many a good things about its bass impact and highs being tad smoother than EX1000. Since the EX1000 ranks close to the top end ciems to many ears, I was wondering if you would know how the EX1000 compares against the 1+2 ( metal/rock specifically). Pardon me if I may have requestioned this query .

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #1,834 of 6,404
IMO the 1Plus2 is way better for rock music lol. The two IEMs aren't in the same league either. Personally I much preferred the MDR-7550 to the EX1000 and the MDR-7550 is also a far-cry away from what the 1Plus2 is for that matter. Not comparable IMO. Now the Flat 4 series is another matter and in some respects that IEM most definitely competes with IEMs in the $1,300 range.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #1,835 of 6,404
Quote:
IMO the 1Plus2 is way better for rock music lol. The two IEMs aren't in the same league either. Personally I much preferred the MDR-7550 to the EX1000 and the MDR-7550 is also a far-cry away from what the 1Plus2 is for that matter. Not comparable IMO. Now the Flat 4 series is another matter and in some respects that IEM most definitely competes with IEMs in the $1,300 range.

Thanks Lee. I have an odd feeling that there have been batches of EX1000 that didnt work out, whereas the later batches are utterly gorgeous to the ears..placing them in the league of bigger fishes. I listen to mine sourced out off the hifiman 601, and everything I hear
is what probably james heard, while he reviewed the iem. 
On a side note..in these few days..I realised how empty and lack-lustre, the PFE232 sounded in comparison to the EX1000 and upon wearing the EX1000s back, I realised how many things my ears were missing...Im in more love than ever with the ex1000s and I must attribute it to the source as well. I tried the hisoundaudio STUDIO V with the EX1000s, and while they  sounded great, were too revealing for my ears and the HM601s give the warm organic feel like a cushion to nestle the excitement of the EX1000s...
So.. for the moment I think I will stick to this combination until the fidelity-thirst goes unquenched ..lol..

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #1,836 of 6,404
Got them today and had a session of comparing to my jh13 FP and cable. The 1+2 is really good with the silver cable as supplied. If that's stock, they got it right with the cable choice. The 1+2 cable was worse than stock on the JH13s and made the preference more debatable. If using both with their stock cables, the JH13 is a clear step up if not a huge one. It's more evenly balanced, focused, solid and natural with slightly better res. For me, it does everything better but mostly marginally so. There's just an overall rightness about it. The JH cable was also clearly worse on the 1+2. My guess is that the 1+2 cable is SPC but don't know and it don't matter. It's a great match for the 1+2.

The 1+2 does sound surprisingly integrated with no obvious timing issues. The bass is a couple DB up but blends well to the mids which are marginally recessed. The cable balance compensates nicely. The highs have some sparkle but not too bright. Just a bit of etch but better refinement than other single TWFKs. As delivered, they offer the best universal I've heard so far and while I don't like any range as much as my 13s, they are all close and the bass is very similar other than slightly higher in amplitude which others will prefer. They are surprisingly musical, well voiced, dynamic, refined and extended. They have a touch extra bass that works well in the package and some minor tonal aberrations that aren't harmful and part of the compromise involved with every universal I've experienced. The highs are where they need to be to maintain res while not too hot though slightly more so than dead neutral. Nicely done.

I don't have a real negative thing to say about them. Other than preference or my personal fav custom, you can't go wrong and they will have better resale and no fit issues like customs. Easier to take in and out and less heartache if all doesn't go well etc. Kudos to Gavin.

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,837 of 6,404
Quote:
Got them today and had a session of comparing to my jh13 and cable. They're really good as is with the silver cable supplied. If that's stock, they got it right with the cable choice. The 1+2 cable was worse than stock on the JH13s and made the preference more debatable. If using both with their stock cables, the JH13 is a clear step up if not a huge one. It's more evenly balanced, focused, solid and natural with slightly better res. For me, it does everything better but mostly marginally so. There's just an overall rightness about it. The JH cable was also clearly worse on the 1+2. My guess is that the 1+2 cable is SPC but don't know and it don't matter. It's a great match for the 1+2.

The 1+2 does sound surprisingly integrated with no obvious timing issues. The bass is a couple DB up but blends well to the mids which are marginally recessed. The cable balance compensates nicely. The highs have some sparkle but not too bright. Just a bit of etch but better refinement than other single TWFKs. As delivered, they offer the best universal I've heard so far and while I don't like any range as much as my 13s, they are all close and the bass is very similar other than slightly higher in amplitude which others will prefer. They are surprisingly musical, well voiced, dynamic, refined and extended. They have a touch extra bass that works well in the package and some minor tonal aberrations that aren't harmful and part of the compromise involved with every universal I've experienced. The highs are where they need to be to maintain res while not too hot. Nicely done.

I don't have a real negative thing to say about them. Other than preference or my personal fav custom, you can't go wrong and they will have better resale and no fit issues like customs. Easier to take in and out and less heartache if all doesn't go well etc. Kudos to Gavin.

Nice impressions. :) The cable is 6 OCC pure silver cable. The one supplied by JH is regular copper right?

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,839 of 6,404
Quote:
Nice impressions. :) The cable is 6 OCC pure silver cable. The one supplied by JH is regular copper right?

Yup. Horses for courses, I guess. Difference was quite large on both IEMs. Now I'm weary of what to do about the JH cable. I like it sonically but know I can do better. I had a copper litz coming but that got delayed so I've put it off for a bit. I may just get a UERM cable and call it a day.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #1,840 of 6,404
I had a UERM cable on the TF10s. The thing turned green in a week lol :p. I really liked the build of the cable for its price. Not so sure based on sound alone though....

Anyways did you try them out on the Studio V? What tips are you using?

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #1,841 of 6,404
I'd get black
wink_face.gif
. They all turn eventually unless it's litz.

Yep, Studio and the Orto/Grado tips which I'm a fan of.

Mar 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,842 of 6,404
I really liked the silver look to it so I opted for it regretfully lol. If they could figure out how to prevent it from turning green it would be a very attractive option.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,844 of 6,404
Quote:
Yup. Horses for courses, I guess. Difference was quite large on both IEMs. Now I'm weary of what to do about the JH cable. I like it sonically but know I can do better. I had a copper litz coming but that got delayed so I've put it off for a bit. I may just get a UERM cable and call it a day.

I have heard that the JH13 is quite close to the Miracles in signature (do not know if that is true), and I am using Gavin's silver and gold with the Miracle, and I have the feeling it accentuates the Miracles quality: airiness, separation, etc.

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:19 AM Post #1,845 of 6,404
Glad it's working out. I'll try a siver/gold sometime if I get a chance. Right now it's probably between the Moon V1 that JH recommends, the UERM cable or Toxic Scorpion that has also been recommended. My thinking is that if Jerry uses it and I trust his voicing, perhaps the Moon is where I should venture.

Gavin's cables are probably as good as any. His silver just didn't mate well with the 13 but it may also have been source synergy related. I've had some brightness issues with silver cables in the past so perhaps it's just me but I thought it excellent on the 1+2 so I guess I'm not too biased
wink_face.gif
. Try your stock Miracle cables on the 1+2 and you'll see what I mean about Gavin getting it right with his silver..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back