Trade for the Perfect player in the world ---Hisound’s Studio 3rd Anniversary edition
Oct 3, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #406 of 795
Quote:
yeah, not too bad. 
Also, I wish it would always keep the settings when powering down the unit. I know it's capable of doing it, but it doesn't do it all the time(keep the settings). It sucks having to start from scratch every time I power on the unit. damn work-arounds!
evil_smiley.gif

You know what Wormdriver. Try set auto shutdown to minimum. I think as long as you have it shutdown via Auto Shutdown it will keep the settings. At least I think it does....

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #409 of 795
I don't use all the options so maybe I'm missing something but what doesn't hold? I've never lost a setting that I've tried and if I hit now playing it plays the last song that was on. It goes random after that instead of playing the rest of an album but I don't find that a big deal as it's easy enough to scroll to where I want by the end of the song.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:10 PM Post #410 of 795
Well I went to check my PO box this morning to see if my player was there only to be greeted by a big empty PO box. The end result was as follows

All kidding aside I called the support line and they confirmed it had been delivered this morning and gave me a claim number. Once I gave the counter person the claim number they immediately found my package. Apparently the card that was supposed to in my PO box had fallen out due to the back of my PO box being open to the mail sort room.

Thus far I've only had a couple of hours with this new player so these are very early impressions but so far I like what I hear. The W4 pairs very well with the Studio V as well as my K2 sp. With the K2 sp I notice a slight hiss but it's only noticeable during dead quiet sections and I'm guessing I noticed it only because I was listening for it so it's far from a deal breaker for me. The UI is as I expected very primitive but it seems to work well enough to get the job done. It's also not very intuitive but after clicking away on buttons for about 15 or 20 minutes I eventually figured it all out. The micro SD card loaded up my songs no problem and all my tunes were populated into the player within a couple of minutes. All music tagging seems to be in order and I'm finding everything quite easily and thus far I've noticed no quirky looking tags. The lack of gapless was rather surprising in that I was expecting a 3 or 4 second delay between songs but instead you get a quick half second click, if even that, between songs making the lack of of gapless playback very tolerable. Overall, thus far in the early going most of my major concerns seem to have been a case of over concern on my part due to the players short comings UI wise being easily tolerable. Sound wise, as I said earlier I'm liking what I hear thus far. Excuse me, I have some critical listening to do with my Sony MDR EX600.

Thanks for suggesting this player lee. I think this may be a keeper for me.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #411 of 795
Glad you are enjoying it DF!!!
Now I think I have to start converting my CDs again... yikes...

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #412 of 795
Quote:
I don't use all the options so maybe I'm missing something but what doesn't hold? I've never lost a setting that I've tried and if I hit now playing it plays the last song that was on. It goes random after that instead of playing the rest of an album but I don't find that a big deal as it's easy enough to scroll to where I want by the end of the song.

give it time...
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #413 of 795
Hmphh, this is interesting. I'll have music playing and I'll navigate out of the Resource Manager and go to the Music section and start navigating around to say albums or artists and as I'm clicking around the music that's playing in the background will begin to distort and glitch and sometimes the display will even freeze up for a few seconds. It seems to happen every time I'm navigating around in the Music section. I've noticed that when I'm navigating through my music via the Resource Manager the UI is generally pretty snappy and music playing in the background for the most part continues to play smoothly. The odd time though if there's music playing in the background I may get the odd audio glitch but it doesn't seem to be happening to often. Another time while listening to music I decided to change the song and hit the center button to power the screen up and the music glitched up for a quick quarter second. Has anyone else observed this behavior with their player and can anyone explain to me the best coarse of action involving populating the playlists section?
---------------------------------------------------------
P.S.
The MDR EX600 also pairs very well with this player. It seems the Studio V is the kind of player that likes to feed gear music and get out of the way and let said gear do it's thing. In short it has next to no coloration when compared to say an iPod. Unlike the iPod vocals don't sound shouty and the midrange seems generally more linear with the rest of the sound spectrum. One thing I have noticed, and this comment is far from set in stone until I've done some extensive A/Bing, although the music well defined and detailed with good instrument placement on the Studio V my music on the MDR EX600 soundstage wise seems to have shrunk a tad. The EX600 when paired with RX MKII has a very out of head like experience to it while with the Studio V the audio cues seem to have become a little more compressed inward closer around my head. Something else I've noted, the ALO RX MKII kicks hard in the bass as in like a mule. Bass impact is very good controlled and nicely detailed but that little extra visceral like hard hitting boom behind that bass hit seems to be a tad softer. Treble seems to be more forward then what I'm used to with other DAP's. The impressive thing is the highs are well defined smooth and seem to have a nice edge all without sounding harsh or adding sibilance to the music.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #414 of 795
Quote:
Hmphh, this is interesting. I'll have music playing and I'll navigate out of the Resource Manager and go to the Music section and start navigating around to say albums or artists and as I'm clicking around the music that's playing in the background will begin to distort and glitch and sometimes the display will even freeze up for a few seconds. It seems to happen every time I'm navigating around in the Music section. I've noticed that when I'm navigating through my music via the Resource Manager the UI is generally pretty snappy and music playing in the background for the most part continues to play smoothly. The odd time though if there's music playing in the background I may get the odd audio glitch but it doesn't to seem to be happening to often. Another time while listening to music I decided to change the song and hit the center button to power the screen up and the music glitched up for a quick quarter second. Has anyone else observed this behavior with their player and can anyone explain to me the best coarse of action involving populating the playlists section?

Yeah it seems if you do things fast it will exhibit this at times. I notice if you are on the external card and want to stop this then select a song from the internal memory and it should be good again. I also noticed how slow it is accessing through music, albums, artists. If the resource manager wasn't there I'd have returned my players a long time ago. Access via music, album, etc is totally unacceptable and I never use it because it is garbage. My .2 cents....  Then again I'd rather access my music via folder view, or playlists anyways as I set everything up in that format :p.

Glad hisszilla isn't a major issue for you. It's acceptable for me in general just I'd love a black background with my IE80s and the exact same sound :wink:. You think its good now. Wait til it opens up. The sound staging will get even bigger, placement within the sound stage more accurate (imaging is superb). Treble will calm down some but will not lose detail, seems it's even more transparent after it settles. I'm happy you are enjoying the player. I really like it myself. The fact that I have a DX100 and couldn't be without the Studio V says enough :p.

Speaking of which I almost had a heart-attack yet again today. Thought I lost my left driver for my IE80s (it fell out of my pocket on the grass next to my car door...). So I'll be sending in my silver-cable for repairs tomorrow. Can't risk this from happening again (its happened 3 times already....).

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #415 of 795
Quote:

Yeah it seems if you do things fast it will exhibit this at times. I notice if you are on the external card and want to stop this then select a song from the internal memory and it should be good again. I also noticed how slow it is accessing through music, albums, artists. If the resource manager wasn't there I'd have returned my players a long time ago. Access via music, album, etc is totally unacceptable and I never use it because it is garbage. My .2 cents....  Then again I'd rather access my music via folder view, or playlists anyways as I set everything up in that format :p.

Glad hisszilla isn't a major issue for you. It's acceptable for me in general just I'd love a black background with my IE80s and the exact same sound :wink:. You think its good now. Wait til it opens up. The sound staging will get even bigger, placement within the sound stage more accurate (imaging is superb). Treble will calm down some but will not lose detail, seems it's even more transparent after it settles. I'm happy you are enjoying the player. I really like it myself. The fact that I have a DX100 and couldn't be without the Studio V says enough :p.

Speaking of which I almost had a heart-attack yet again today. Thought I lost my left driver for my IE80s (it fell out of my pocket on the grass next to my car door...). So I'll be sending in my silver-cable for repairs tomorrow. Can't risk this from happening again (its happened 3 times already....).

Good to hear, I was beginning to wonder if I had gotten a defective player. HiSound should just rename the Resource Manager to Music and be done with it.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #416 of 795
Quote:
Good to hear, I was beginning to wonder if I had gotten a defective player. HiSound should just rename the Resource Manager to Music and be done with it.

They should just remove album, artists, music and make it even more minimalist. That may even make it run smoother :p. I really never did try albums and artists view until I started hearing people complain at how slow it was lol. So I tried it and I did get very angry myself :p.

Oct 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #417 of 795
I'm rather liking the overall form factor, feels solid and just the right size for mobile use. If HiSound puts a little more work into this player and irons out some of the glitches this DAP could be a real killer product.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #419 of 795
Well this is a kick, I just threw my V-MODA M-80 headphone on and plugged it into the player. The M-80 upper range with this player now has a slight bit of bite. The highs are still on the polite side for my taste but it's still an improvement none the less. Vocals are sounding rather nice and the bass is nicely detailed. Background, the background is pitch black which is surprising considering these headphones are quite sensitive. The big question, should I leave well enough alone for tonight or should I risk pairing the Studio V with my DT1350 which is the more demanding headphone juice wise and can get quite hot in the treble at times?

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #420 of 795
Quote:
Well this is a kick, I just threw my V-MODA M-80 headphone on and plugged it into the player. The M-80 upper range with this player now has a slight bit of bite. The highs are still on the polite side for my taste but it's still an improvement none the less. Vocals are sounding rather nice and the bass is nicely detailed. Background, the background is pitch black which is surprising considering these headphones are quite sensitive. The big question, should I leave well enough alone for tonight or should I risk pairing the Studio V with my DT1350 which is the more demanding headphone juice wise and can get quite hot in the treble at times?

lol well so far you've been happy with it pairing to all your IEMs and hiss doesn't seem to be an issue for you. I'm wondering if my IE80s are just that much more sensitive than most IEMs in general :p....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back